Your Hype Train Experiences

M50s…

good… but the sony MDR-7506 are very similar at a cheaper cost

1 Like

For me the Argons were a negative hype train experience. Found the highs on them to very harsh on everything but the best recorded stuff. I assume this is just a property of the t50rp itself and not specific to the Argon but I experienced it with the Argon and the t60rp as well.

1 Like

So my biggest audiophile hype train related item is/was the reason I started following Z.

The dreaded M50Xs.

I was so used to just Loud = Good from my childhood that as I started spending time at clubs, I started to notice a difference between High quality & clean sound systems versus just ones being played loud. So as my ears got better at telling the difference, the more I started to dislike my M50Xs. I had also bought them as possible DJ cans and they were horrible for that as well. I listened back to a DJ mix I recorded and it sounded pretty bad.

I’ve gotten rid of those by gifting them to a family member a while back.

the t4’s have a really boring sound

Vokyl erupts. Don’t care about the delays but the pad change and the cable change and cable pin out were warning signs. I got the product and had to rma. Service was fine got a working product but sound and build quality was trash. Was massively let down. Wish I had gone with the verum.

Other hype trains I’ve had.

Shp9500 for $50 I paid I’m ok with this. My first “good” headphone. Lasted several years under heavy use gifted to my brother. Still going strong for him. Not worth 75+ dollars.

X2 Disappointed, wooly bloated bass and my pair fell apart literally. This desperately needed a price correction to 100. At 100 new it’s fine. So many better headphones than this when it was 200-300 dollars.

Argon mk2 - Bought before the hype really but no complaints. Competitive closed headphone in its price bracket imo but at this point probably not worth the wait.

M1060c - Modded to open. Horrible build, didn’t like the sound. But I get it bass was very good. Moved it on but I get the hype at the time.

2 Likes

I really like mine one of my favorites in my collection but a sound that is certainly not for everybody.

I like my hype train experiences, very satisfied with each and every one, and i bought a bunch of ‘em so i could learn while i was getting into this stuff last year. Maybe it’s just me, but i keep the words “This is good, FOR THE MONEY”, first and foremost in my mind whenever I think of my stuff. I like good value for my money and it can be had in every price category.

That being said, I don’t think I will purchase any more monoprice HP’s, I feel I have to work too hard to find the enjoyment in them. Otherwise, as long as we keep things relative to their value, I have enjoyed all my “hype train” purchases.

Who knows, maybe I’m just too easy going, the only things that get on my nerves are hiss and sibilant high’s. My music tastes vary and I’m not too lazy to simply plug in, swap amps, DACs, shift rca’s around, whatever i have to do to mate the gear with the music.

I personally don’t own much that does everything “right”, or plays well with everything else in the room. I guess i have gotten used to this from some of my other hobbies. I could shoot you dead with a 5.56 but dammed if I don’t prefer to reach for my .308 first, you know, I want you deader…:rofl: Doesn’t mean i don’t feel perfectly happy walking around with a little 9mm or .38special though. Hope the analogy was understood and not misinterpreted in any way. I’m good with my hype train stuff, it does what It should do at it’s particular price point.

Happy listening all, spend as much as you can, don’t stress it, there will always be someone somewhere with something cooler, don’t fall for the hype, really great stuff comes at a cost…

2 Likes

I dont really have any huge hype train experiences because I do way too much research for my own good but my experience of wanting a pair of focal headphones and hearing some positive reviews for their arche dac amp combo and when demoing it was completely underwhelmed by it

Oh wait I do. Red cinema cameras. Trash. Overheat and break at the drop of a hat. If any of y’all wanna make a short film rent a black magic, sony, arri or kinefinity instead

1 Like

6 Likes

I’d say my hype train experience has been pretty positive, but I also wait til pretty well after a product comes out to actually pick it up. I have the SHP9500, the X2, and actually started on the M50 (non-x). Got the X-2 over black friday when it was 100, and really like it for that price. I think it’s a good step up from my 9500s, but also different enough that I still go back to the 9500s from time to time. I actually like the 9500s more for gaming, they’re more comfortable for extended sessions than the X-2s. I also got the SHPs for like 15 bucks or something like that, so that probably has something to do with my opinion of it.

I still think the M50s are ok headphones, I just think they were massively overhyped and had like zero competition when they first came out.

I think apart from audio the worst hype trains I was ever into were for Destiny and No Man’s Sky. I literally bought a PS4 exclusively for Destiny 1, and while I’m glad I got a PS4 for sure, I was majorly let down by Destiny. I actually had totally reasonable expectations for NMS because of the Destiny thing, and enjoyed my initial experience with it, but I get why people were so upset about it because that’s how I felt about Destiny.

Couple years ago starting in this crazy hobby bought the M50X, all those YouTubers couldn’t be wrong right? Barely used them and were sold a couple months ago. Bad hype.

Blon bl-03. Crazy value. Good hype.

1 Like

Hype train wins:

Monoprice m570
Takstar HI-3050/HF-580
Sennheiser 58X Jubilee
Taotronics Soundsurge 46
Takstar Pro 82
Koss ESP950

Hypetrain losers or meh:

Vokyl Erupt (far and away the worst)
Audeze Mobius
Cooler Master MH752
1More H1707 Triple Driver
Hifiman HE-400i
Monoprice M1060 v1 and v2

Hypetrain TBD:

Drop + THX Panda
HarmonicDyne Helios

Does the 400i count? It’s kinda been a solid offering for a long time now? I guess it can still be somewhat hype

1 Like

Actually the H1707 Triple Driver is not the best version. That version doesn’t have the good drivers like the regular silver American color. A lot of people say the H1707 sounds worse than the regular silver. I tried the silver color with the good drivers, and they were my 2nd favorite headphones ever.
1More kind of goofed with the H1707. They put drivers in it that were made from a completely different material.
My only complaint with the 1More was the comfort.

1 Like

Agree. The earpads needed only a few more millimeters and it would have fit over my ears. They basically are a really well built, really good sounding pair of over-sized on-ear headphones.

1 Like

Nice to see someone else won the m570 QC lottery

3 Likes

If only they had 1More inch of space…

2 Likes

I made a mistake due to hype. I bought the koss kph30i for $70cad

1 Like

actually one interesting thing about zeos’ review of the original M50s i find the interest in the fact that he states “if you are a headphone person and not a speaker person you’d love it more”… and thats me… because i absolutely prefer headphones because i dont like everyone hearing what i got (if soundleak isn’t AS bad then maybe i’d do open back)… but i never had an experience of deep speakers so i prefer the more heavy bass on them… it was just something to think about since i do like a good amount of bass and mid for my hip hop, dance pop, and indie rock. the issue is more that i know the M50s are apparently trash and the high end is so recessed on them

My worst hype train experience is definitely the kph30i. These are the worst headphones I’ve heard since getting into this hobby. They have nothing above ~15k and bloated bass. These flaws seem to form a feedback loop of bad that makes me hate these for anything other than YouTube videos when I don’t have any other headphones in my room.

The only others are the tin T4 and Shuoer Tape. These are both very good IEMs that I don’t like purely because if the Harman target curve. I find the Harman curve to sound thin, hollow, and shouty. To make things worse it puts no priority towards the air frequencies (above 15k) and I like those frequencies. The other thing I hate about the Harman target is that EVERY FUCKUNG NEW IEM seems to follow it. The moondrop starfields, KXXS, ikko OH10, Shuoer singer, and so forth. I just wish these chi fi companied would get a bit more creative, but I digress. Overall I am ok with the T4 and Tape, but now know to avoid the Harman target at all costs.

3 Likes