Your Top 5 IEMs right now that you are using?

Same exact reply to the T2 as well. It may not be as impressive as the current daily drivers that I am using right now, but it’s still a good set to use from time to time, and a reminder on how that one kickstarted my IEM journey, from using a shitty set of earphones to using the Seek Real Audio Airships now. Not much of a progress, but still a great progression despite the limited budget.

My list has changed (and shrunk) because after getting the Penon Vortex (which sounds great for me), I threw caution (and dollars) to the wind, and also purchased Penon Serials… smoother, fuller bass, maybe (also sounds great for me). So…

1.Penon Vortex
2. Penon Serial
3. Letshuoer S12
4. … unsure… I will likely try selling the other IEMs I have, and limit myself the three above for a while.

I also have a few earbuds… FiiO EM5 and Yincrow rw-2000 are the ones I keep picking up, so I will likely sell the other earbuds I have, too.

My problem is always size because I have really dinky ears, and dinky ear canals. Even my ear, nose, and throat doctor says, “You have really dinky ears, and dinky ear canals.” He says this every time I see him. So I cannot wear any earbuds using foams and, even then, some buds I’ve tried are still too big to fit at all. For IEMs, I’ve tried many tips recommended here and elsewhere, and the ePro Horns (Small) are the most comfortable for me. Some I’ve tried, including the new small Moondrop ones are still too big for my dinky ear canals.

So the caveat is that this is a dinky ear and dinky ear canal list, and probably wouldn’t suit many others.

2 Likes

I finally have 5 IEMs to rank!

1. IE600 (90% listening time)
  2. Moonlight (10% listening time)
  3. Penon Vortex (drawer)
  4. Olina (drawer)
  5. Tanya (drawer)

Even though I have 5 now I really only listen to 1. The Moonlight serves for chats and that is mainly due to isolation and having a cable with a mic on it

6 Likes
  1. 64 Audio A18s - I haven’t been using these for music listening as much lately because I have been using them as monitors in the studio so much and generally find myself wanting something else when it comes to enjoying music in my down time.

2. ThieAudio Excalibur - I just got these less than a week ago from @rattlingblanketwoman to replace the Oracles that I sold after keeping an eye out for a pair to pop up on the used market for months. They sound exactly as I imagined they would and they actually hit the spot over a much larger range of genres than I initially thought they would so I have been listening to these a ton. I couldn’t be any happier with these.

3. Campfire Audio Supermoon (custom version) - I had credit with CA that amounted to about half of the total price. I say that because I think these are a bit over priced at what they’re charging for them right now. However, they have an addicting mix of planar technicalities and DD-like timbre that I find very fun and satisfying to listen to. I have been listening to a bunch of prog, neo-prog, prog-metal, and djent lately because of some experimenting my band has been doing in the studio and I have to say that the Supermoons are damn near perfect for listening to complicated tracks driven by busy, syncopated drum and bass guitar rhythms with layers of instrumental melodies and solo work over the top interspersed with vocals. The keep their agility and clarity intact and their presentation, imaging, and separation are all very good for keeping elements separate and clear, but cohesively rendered. Overall, while probably a bit too expensive, the Supermoons are a pretty impressive IEM, IMO, and I find their high level of technical capabilities combined with a fun tuning and dynamic/powerful presentation to be an addicting formula that I have been enjoying time and time again since snagging these.

4. Letshuoer S12 - My favorite of the affordable planars (and I have tried a lot of them) and my primary out and about IEM for several months now. Since I have been getting into earbuds and putting together a collection, the S12s haven’t been getting as much ear time as they were before, but I still REALLY dig these IEMs. I find them to to incredibly comfortable. They’re pretty small and relatively light with a pretty shallow fit so with my favorite foam tips they just disappear into my ears. The S12s also sound pretty damn good, with good technical performance and a pretty fun tuning that renders my rock heavy on the go library very well. They can be driven well by any of my DAPs and by my phone with any of my dongles or bluetooth DACs. When I started using IEMs performance like this wpuld have been many times more expensive and the S12s (or your preferred low cost planar) is really a great value proposition and a very practical purchase. If I was still doing the starving musician thing, these would be endgame.

5. 64 Audio N8 - I really wish more people had a chance to try these. As a professional tool for monitoring my drumming they are great, but as a studio level take on fun, dynamic tuning these are pretty unique. I’m a drummer so when I listen to music my interest often gravitates towards the drumming, bass, and other parts of the rhythm section. The N8s render that low end with such clarity and authority without having to emphasize it in such a way that it’s presented out of balance with the rest of a track. I have never heard another set of IEMs that can do that as well as the N8s. They still layer and image well and present the whole sonic range with clarity and high end technical performance, but the way they render the lower half of the spectrum (approximately) is unique and makes for a very cool experience. Despite these being CIEMs, I try to let friends and acquaintances try them as often as the opportunity presents itself because I really think the N8s are something quite different and special and for those that they click with they offer something you can’t get anywhere else that I know of.

Sorry for the essay, but thanks for the topic. That was fun! Who know? Maybe I’ll answer again next month when this is sure to have changed lol! :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

My list is ever shifting as new items arrive.

For context my current IEMs are: Resin KL out for repair, OG DM, Mahina, EJ07, Olina, XBA-N3, EX800ST, Kai, Volt, SA6 Ultra, UP and OG Tea. I enjoy all of them so this list is like holding a gun to me to pick.

Top Five in no particular order or amount of time spent

1. UP - Love the extreme warmth, low treble energy and more so closed in soundstage. Gives the overall tuning what many refer to as a intimate sound. Also, the bass is plentiful but, it’s killer with berryllium DD.

2. EJ07 - God it just pulls you into the middle of a three dimensional space. It’s hard to imagine how it would sound until you hear it. Subbass rumble is supurb and goes well with the whole tuning without drowning anything out. It’s not bad with vocals but, I most enjoy this set where vocals aren’t the star of the show. PsyTrance, ProgHouse and MelodicProg are pure bliss on these.

3. Mahina - Great bass shelf and non fatigue treble tuning for high volume listening to rock. Gives enough midbass punch and slam for bass guitars and kick drums to not sound thin or dull and have authority. Treble may not be enough for some but, I feel it really opens up at higher volumes. Where the KLs treble is okay for me at lower volumes it gets a bit to energetic at higher volumes.

4. XBA-N3 - Midbass punch and slam. Very forgiving for older records with poor recording quality. Sounds glorious with older punk and reggae albums.

5. SA6 Ultra - Cohesiveness of the band. No real extra attention to instruments in the treble region. May be a turn off for many but, I find it an absolute joy.

Slid off the list was the OG DM in favor of the SA6 Ultra. I’ll see how the honeymoon phase goes and if it goes back in a slot.

Guilty Pleasure:

EX800ST - If you know you know

Got my eyes on the Top and Maka in the coming weeks. Still contemplating the Oracle MKII. Maybe one of these will be put in favor of my current top 5.

11 Likes

I don’t think I had as much fun reading as you probably
Do listening but it might be close! :joy: hell of a rotation you have, good sir.

You’re a drummer I take it? I’d love to hear some stuff your band produces. Any links you can provide? Thanks!

1 Like

I’m glad someone enjoyed it and didn’t just feel like I wasted their time lol! It came out way longer than I intended it to. I’m not a super talkative person IRL, but I have a habit if being an amateur novelist in forum posts. Go figure!

3 Likes

Doubt I have time to elaborate but I can always come back to this:

1. Penon Serial
  2. Thieaudio Clairvoyance
  3. Final Audio E4000
  4. Until it sells I’ll keep dipping into the FW01, very very full bass.
  5. On very rare occasions… the Thieaudio Voyager 3. I’m not really a BA person but every so often I’m drawn to it’s tuning and character. It’s hard to put my finger on it, but I sincerely think it’s an “interesting” IEM.

The “that you are using” narrows it down a lot! Some heavy hitters and IEMs I prefer aren’t going to make the list because I just don’t have them. Just what’s in my bag/drawer I guess!

IEMS that are arriving in the near future (although I strongly suspect I’ll end up circling back to a Penon Serial and mid-range dap): Astrotec Phoenix (not Phoenix 6), IMR Na-le, Meaoes Eagle, Hifi Boy OS V3.

3 Likes

Absolutely not at all! I never enjoyed reading books, on the contrary I very much enjoy write ups when they have personality to them and yours definitely do! Keep it up :metal: there are a few people who review sets that immediately come to mind that do this well.

@nymz
@GooberBM
@rattlingblanketwoman

To name a few.

3 Likes

Wow! That’s a pretty big compliment. I will definitely keep it up and I hope that people enjoy my posts even a fraction of how much they enjoy posts from those guys! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, bro.

3 Likes

Right now, if I had a Fave Five it would be:

KBear Rosefinch is my cheapie, and bassy set
Olina SE is my neutral set
Penon Fan 2 is my best set
HBB Kai is my easy-listening set
KBear Aurora is a set I love but don’t have a set use case for anymore

If it were mine to keep, I’d drop it for Tin P1 Max. This would be the nicest mid-centric IEM I’d have. Why has nobody ever mentioned it graphs way too close to a planar/slightly sub-based elevated looking OG Dark Magician, with better treble extension? This is one of those times it feels like the hype train let me down!

4 Likes

9 Likes

Which cable with mic are you using?
I was thinking to get one from XINHS but I didn’t find any opinion about the mic quality.

I seem to be one of those people who can’t use IEM’s at all =/ i tried, really I did. all sorts of different tips, different methods of wearing them, all I got for my troubles was a headache that lasted for 2 days straight and very sore ears.

I had the volume turned very far down so I wouldn’t risk hearing damage. - My ear canals just don’t like things stuffed into them I guess.

So now I use things like the Koss KSC75 for ‘active’ listening. (during workouts and runs and such)

My only regret is I can’t figure out a good way to put anime stickers on them…

Also - I am that guy who runs around with a $200 balanced DAP to run KSC75’s…

4 Likes

Im using the Kinera Gramr with my Moonlights which work very well

My man! :handshake:

4 Likes

I’m truly planar pilled. I also have Dioko lol
Should I get iSine next??

1 Like

Update of my Top 5:

1. Dioko
  2. Timeless
  3. P1 Plus
  4. Sora Light
1 Like

Current rotation:

1. UM MEST mkII - great all-rounder, hits just right
  2. Letshuoer EJ07M “Kinda Lava” (resin universal) - Pretty much my reference for the time being
  3. 64 Audio U6t (M15 module) - BA beast, engaging and smooth
  4. Orioulus Isabellae / Dunu VERNUS - Single DD greatness, Isabellae for excitement and VERNUS for warm, organic goodness
  5. Letshuoer S12 - When you want a planar, you want a planar. Vibrant and detailed, with good low-end
5 Likes
  1. Goldplanar GL-AMT16 (6.0/4.4 No Mesh) + 7Hz Timeless White Horn Tips / Detail + Bass King
  2. qdc 8SL + Final Audio Type E Tips / The “fun” Anole VX
  3. Softears Twilight + 7Hz Timeless White Horn Tips / Male-Vocal King
  4. LZ A7 (Red) + qdc XL Silicone Tips / 10/10 UTWS5 Companion

That’s it for now.
Twilight replaced my UP for male vocals.
8SL replaced the Variations & UP.
AMT16 replaced any future interest in planar IEMs for now.

5 Likes