🔶 ZMF Aeolus

This is the official thread for the ZMF Aeolus. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • Amp needed
  • Open Back

:red_circle: ZMF Store link

Reviews…

Z Reviews

Head Kharma

3 Likes

This is one of the best (if not the best) examples of zmf midrange, it’s sweet, has just enough intimacy and hides faults just enough to cover bad mixes etc.

To anyone getting those, one, get upgrade cable (or order a separate cable) and get universe suede perforated pads :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It is rather enjoyable…especially while imbibing

5 Likes

Have you tried the Auteur?

I tried the aeolus and i liked my auteur (blackwood) better. aeolus def had better bass but i just eq about 3.5db at 100hz to my auteur and tube them and i get satisfying and accurate bass with much better vocal clarity and highs. i would actually put heritage hp3 over the aeolus honestly

1 Like

Mine are in line to be built at the moment. Can hardly wait! Purchased them with the upgraded 2K cables and both types of pads, so I should be good to go.

1 Like

Did you get the velour universe pads? The are essential! Also there is a secret pad that splits the difference, but you have to email them to get it, they are called BE2

1 Like

Got a really nice cable from @skedra today and I love it.

9 Likes

I have had a similar experience with them. I have the Verite pads, Universe pads, and Suede Universe Pads. I prefer the Suede for the added air and stage. The verite pads have even more sparkle but less stage, and were not my favorite as they are fairly shallow. Suede also just feel good on the head.

I concur with your synopsis of the two pads though, pretty spot on with what I hear when swapping them.

1 Like

So a buddy of mine let me borrow his Aeolus to try out and compare to my 58X’s to see what difference $1000 can buy in a pair of headphones.

I decided to compare them using some Gary Clark Jr. live tracks. Honestly, they both do sound like you’re at the actual live performance, it’s just that one is at a kind of seedy bar with a meh PA system and the other one is ACL Live at The Moody Theater.

Aaaaaand now my 58X’s sound like AirPods to me.

10 Likes

i feel as though a lot of live recording dont do the Aeolus justice, i dont like them with live recordings at all.
i use my ath-2000x’s for that myself

I clarified my comments above, but I was blown away by the live tracks with the Aeolus.

2 Likes

Still loving these…they make the wait for the Verite both easier and harder lol

7 Likes

i see why you’d pay a couple houndred dollars more for this, gorgeous. you need the suede band to go with those pads! i need to see this lol

2 Likes

Those LTD editions are making my heart say yes and my wallet say no… one day

1 Like

I have the suede pilot pad… but it isn’t the same…maybe I’ll email Zach and Bevin to add the suede strap to my Verite order…

would you elaborate on that please? im actually in contact with Bevin regarding a potential purchase of a pilotpad. is the pilotpad too firm to get a custom headband bending fit of the top steelband?

1 Like

I put it n the leather band only for best fit. It makes it very comfortable…I’ll try and get a picture of it tonight and post it…I have the leather pilot pad on my HD800! They are well made and comfortable.

Mine are currently in the “assembly” phase. Getting excited!!!

When I ordered mine, ZMF told me that the leather headstrap actually benefited the sound due to it being a tighter fit at the top of the earcups, so I went with their suggestion. Did I make a mistake?

1 Like

You mean the pads not headstrap right? The headstrap should have no factor in how they sound…and all about comfort. The pads on the other hand I did notice that the Leather Universe pads are tighter on the cups, and don’t have as much flex or movement as the Suede universe pads…but I love the feel and sound of the Suede too much to swap back =)

1 Like