šŸ”· ZMF Eikon

Iā€™m using mine off the Bifrost2 -> SW51, and I really like that pairing.
Previously used Bifrost2 -> Tuba, also very nice with the right tubes (Ei or Tungsram).
I thought the Eikon was fine with SS, but I preferred the Valve amps.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got various that I can play with. The default will be a Geshellig ENOG 2, but I may try (just for the sake of beauty) a Liquid Platinum DAC when theyā€™re out. Or I may pick up something else. I have a Cabridge Audio DAC Magic Plus also balanced so I can try that as well. I may pick up the Bitfrost 2 as my desktop endgame so havenā€™t decided on the DAC yet. I went with the Eikons because theyā€™re supposed to be close in signature to the LCD-2 with Fazors signature and thatā€™s the sound I prefer. Hopefully this has that and a little more detail as the icing on the cake. I needed closed cans and this just looked like it fits that niche Iā€™m looking for.

Impermanence it the root of our hobby. So. :slight_smile:

You placed your order at the peak of Covid it would seem You know if that impacted their production?

1 Like

You and me both. Wellā€¦ 8 weeks 2 days ago. ZMF got slammed with the covid stuff. Iā€™m just glad Zach and staff seem to be safe and as productive as they can be. Super excited to get my Ziricote!

2 Likes

It must have, (but I donā€™t know for sure) but they list 5-10 weeks lead time for an Eikon, so I am still within the time frame. But it has taken 2 weeks longer so far, than my Aeolus.

Good choice!
Zach had some Blackwood left, so mine will look like my Aeolus Blackwood. I really like that dark color. It will be interesting to see how close our Eikonā€™s are in color, they should be quite close.

1 Like

FWIW, Kevin Gilmore posts quite a bit over at ā€œHead Case,ā€ which has a great thread on Stax stuff. Iā€™ve learned quite a bit just lurking over there. Iā€™m a fan purely based on the obvious care that goes into his amp designs. The KGSSHV Carbon has been a wishlist item for me for a long time. Dunno if Iā€™ll ever get to it unless I get to 007s / 009s, but KG has my respect either way. Iā€™m not the least bit surprised the Lite is a winner.

2 Likes

I already know my next amp upgrade :stuck_out_tongue: . Gotta get that sweet GS-X mini down the line. Reported sound sig is right up my alley, synergizes well with the kit I have (and will have). Also I think it looks sick.

2 Likes

After +2 months waiting my Eikon arrived today. They are African Blackwood like my Aeolus bc I just love that wood and the picture below in sunlight shows why :heart_eyes:

The main strap is also in suede which is my mistake, but I can order a leather strap later. So everything is black, even the wood, more or less, and the listening has begun. I donā€™t expect that much now, it needs burn in, but it is clearly a TOTL HP and I love just to touch and look at it.

ZMF fanboy for sure :wink:

10 min experince: It is extremely good with classical instruments, this will be a favourite for soundtracks.

14 Likes

Out of curiosity, why did you go with the suede pads? Was it to match your Aeolus or a comfort thing?

Maaan those look dope. Canā€™t wait to get mine hopefully this week. But that woodā€¦I am sure I will not sleep properly without one zmf special wood :smiley:

3 Likes

Comfort 100%
I just find them very soft and the best choice for me and the sound follows. I am not a big fan of leather pads, they become to wet/cold/warm especially in summer time, so suede is perfect for me.

I moved up ONE notch on the list. The struggle is real.

2 Likes

Looks sweet, would love to hear your impressions and comparisons of the Aeolus and Eikon

2 Likes

I will get back with my thoughts, when the Eikon has some more milleage, but right out of the box, it is the bass that is a clear difference. It is very tight and a bit blurry, but perhaps that is due to the fantastic highs. It is so clear in the high notes, so I am really really impressed.

Zach said the Atticus uses the same driver as the Aeolus, so the Eikon would be a bigger difference. The vocals are very present and the mids sounds like made for female vocals, so that is another great plus.
The Aeolus seems more like a jack-of-all-trades bc it is good in all areas and a very relaxed and easy going HP; it is good for long listening sessions. The Eikon leaves the Aeolus in the dust in the mids and highs, which are more present and detailed.

The soundstage is ofc different as it is an open and a closed HP respectively, but the Eikon has a wider soundstage than other closed HPā€™s I have heard.

I find them to be a good combo so far, they are different, but I needed a closed HP and the Eikon does not disappoint me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :yum: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks for that quick write up. Sounds awesome.

1 Like

new kids on the blockā€¦holding it in my hands have to say I am impresed by the craftsmanship
those will stay on my head probably for next couple of days :smiley:

9 Likes

Congrats!!
Good to have you in the club and looking forward to exchange our experiences.

I have a vacation today so I have been sitting and listening to those since they came in.
Might have to buy Aeolus to become rightfull member of the club lol.

1 Like

Those look sick man. Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 weeks from ordering to assembly, theyā€™ve kicked up the production line over there!

2 Likes