🔶 ZMF Headphones Atrium

If used tube depot and the tube store with good results. Cheaper/new release tubes ill usually look at eBay and that’s been pretty reliable.

1 Like

ZMF got back to me today, and they already sent me the shipping confirmation. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I will read up on the Vali 3 threads to see which tubes to try.

If you’re on headfi and see Wyatt slone give suggestions take his advice.

2 Likes

I am indeed on Head-fi with the same handle. :wink: will do.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion over on head-fi. I was told to try SE HF out on the Mjolnir 3 vs XLR with the AO. There is definitely a difference, but I need to play around with it some more when I have time. Still interesting that there is a noticeable difference between the two with the AO.

1 Like

That is pretty interesting, does it get softer?

1 Like

So far I noticed a little less slam and a slight increase in the top end. It was a short session, so I will try it out for a longer session tomorrow. I am assuming that it has to do with the circuitry converting Balanced to SE output.

1 Like

Id assume that as well man I happy you’re going to try tubes.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a long time coming, but once I get the larger tube amp I will have to invest into another piece of furniture to put it on. My desk won’t be able to hold the weight of all my gear and a heavy tube amp. Especially if I get the Aegis.

1 Like

Lol I put my big tube amp on a husky workbench with my 3D printer 80lbs is not something I’m putting on my regular desk.

1 Like

I’m expecting the Aune S17 to get delivered today (Going to pair it with the S9c), but so far, the WA7 with Electro Harmonix Gold Pin tubes fed from the Bifrost has been my favorite way to listen to the Atriums. Tubes all the way., definitely. I am super interested in the Aegis as well. I’m thinking of building a bottlehead crack, then the mainline after that, depending how that goes. Pretty comfortable with soldering, so I feel like it could be a fun project to get deeper into tubes. DIY Aegis was another one I’ve been considering.

2 Likes

The Aune S17 pro is a nice sub $1k class A SS amp, but yeah if tubes are your thing it will most likely feel like something is missing. I personally have never been handy with a soldering iron, otherwise I would have built an amp kit by now lol. If you go that rout I would love to see pics of the process from start to finish. The ZMF variant of the Aegis is supposed to be one of the more detailed Tube amps while still retaining the tube flavor (as stated by owners on Head-fi). At 60 lbs it is a desk breaker, so account for that. I think they said that the kit weighs a little less though.

I started out with class AB amps and then went to class A when I got my Soloist 3xp. With the addition of Mjolnir 3 I got to hear class a with dead silent background (no noise floor to speak of). This is most likely what got me leaning towards going for a tube amp to go old school class A. Well that and everyone under the sun telling me go tubes for AO and other headphones I have been looking at :rofl: . If not for my tick-tock upgrade schedule I would have gone for the Aegis next year, but since my last upgrade was an amp, it is time for a new DAC. I also think it is better to feed either amp from a better DAC to get the most out of the AO. The Bifrost 2/64 is by no means bad, but the Yggdrasil MIB is supposed to be on another level. :wink:

2 Likes

Ive had the s17 pro for about an hour now. I’m personally really liking it… so much that I’m questioning myself. So I’m going to hold off on giving any real impressions until I’ve had more time with it and have had a chance to A/B it against other amps I own, including the WA7.
One thing I can say for sure, the chassis of the unit does get stupid hot. Like REALLY stupid hot in the 100ma mode. People were not exaggerating about that. lol

2 Likes

Yggy/Mjolnir is def on the list for me as well.

1 Like

My solution to that problem! :joy:

I just ordered some feet like that as well. LOL. I have it on some rubber domes for now.

2 Likes

Feet for sure, but pay attention to the fan pointed directly at the Mjolnir 3. :wink:

I just ordered some feet like that as well. LOL. I have it on some rubber domes for now.
AH! got it! I was just looking at smoe laptop cooling pads as well. Damn. Lol. Yeah I need something like that too.

1 Like

ELUTENG Dual AC 140mm Case Fan with Power Adapter, 3 Speed Control 12V Ventilator Fan for Laptop Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Desk Computer Cabinet Cooling https://a.co/d/0nrsenn

This was recommended to me on Head-fi Mjolnir 3 thread.