Anime discussion thread

That’s the difference a ok studio and an exceptional one makes . Mad house has been making quality anime for years especially in the animation end with the exception of overlord

hmm fair point my understanding of the figure game/anime merch in japan (which is limited) is that it’s mostly focused on the whale buyers that are willing to shell out the higher price

Honestly I think it’s more tied to what’s popular in japan. Just because something is popular here doesn’t mean it’s big over there. But also another thing is how expensive is the lisence to buy and manufacture and they have balance profits and royalties. The thing with the freeing figures are they are expensive and sell. So if this chilka figure does well. I’m sure we will see a cheaper manufacturer like koyobukiya pick up the lisence and make the figure eventually

These are my top 5 so I give them a strong recommendation but your mileage will vary depending on how much you’re into each genre:

1. Legend Of The Galactic Heroes - epic space opera. Lots of dialogue with an amazing plot.
  2. Welcome To The NHK - psychological with bits of comedy, drama, and romance. Very interesting insight into the hikikomori lifestyle through the lens of Satou.
  3. Haibane Renmei - mystery, fantasy drama. Great atmosphere, amazing soundtrack and very captivating pacing. Some could find it slow but well worth it imo.
  4. Kemono No Souja Erin - fantasy adventure. Although at first glance it seems a bit childish, the story is well written and the show is full of charm and personality. A fun watch.
  5. Kaiba - Sci-fi, mystery. My favorite Yuasa, Masaaki show. Definitely not for everyone but if the weird aesthetic and slow pace is to your liking then you may find the story and world-building very captivating.

Other recommendations: Moribito, The Aria series, Evangelion, Girls Last Tour. If you have specific genre requests I can give you more specific recommendations.

1 Like

To me it’s an anime that could easily sell a couple of figures well it’s not a super popular shonen but it’s a pretty popular anime which can definitely sell a few figures.

One of the few greats I have yet to touch but has been on the priority list of to watch anime for like a decade.

I don’t blame you, it’s 100+ episodes long. Also there’s so many characters and plot lines that you need to binge watch it or you’ll start forgetting things if you see it sporadically. Do you use MAL, a notepad or old school just your brain to track the shows you wanna watch/ have seen?

I haven’t updated my notepad list of anime I’ve watched in 6 years. And at the time the like was 300+ series long I did try to translate to MAL but I gave up it was too tedious I just kinda remember an anime by the picture and if it’s a noteworthy one it’s gets put in the good old gnoggin as a recc

I was never a good student cause I would binge through series in highschool like a friend went through as series every 2 days lol. These days though I watch an episode or 2 before bed of whatever seasonal anime came out that day. This season is weird though as most of the good ones come out on the weekends

Yeah having to mass catalog all shows at once sounds like a pain in the ass. Thankfully I’ve just been slowly updating the good ol MAL for close to a decade.

As for seasonal shows I haven’t really been keeping up with the new stuff. Maybe I’m just a cynical hipster but not much has caught my attention recently. I’m open to recommendations if you found a really good one recently.

I would recc anything kyo Ani and most of the stuff madhouse has released
Most notably violet evergarden, shirobako, aplace further than the universe but I’m sure you’ve already watched them

But this season which is fairly mediocre the most promising anime is sing yesterday for me. The color pallette reminds me alot of of stiens gate past the first few episodes. It’s a very dense romance anime and by dense like there is a lot to each episode. It’s one of the few rate animes where you watch like the first ten minutes and sense it’s gonna be a high quality anime

As for the last season these anime stand out as being high quality anime.
Eizouken especially .

1 Like

I loved Shirobako and K-on. I’m usually hit or miss with Kyo-ani (I hated phantom world and beyond the boundary). I’ll check out sing yesterday for me. I’ve been looking for more romance shows anyways. My profile .
I’ll check out Eizouken too.

Your really into the more obscure stuff. I’m only familiar with Hainane Renma and NHK. I’m downloading Kaiba and Kemono no souja erin as we speak.

Kyo Ani is my favorite studio their ability to do high quality animations and produce illegally cute character designs is great.

Yeah phantom world wasn’t very good I attribute that to the writer and director. And beyond the boundary was a good short afternoon watch. Nothing majorly wrong with it except for that one episode.but yeah wasn’t my favorite either

I guess I do prefer more niche shows but I can also appreciate stuff like Nichijou which judging from your profile pic you also enjoy. I would recommend Azumanga Daioh which is a similar show that you may like.

Yes they really have a knack for very clean and simple designs that maximize the ‘moe’ factor.

1 Like

Also have y’all watched kokoro connect? One of the few shows I was really hoping to pick up steam when your name came out.

Ah, yes. It’s been years but I vividly remember that show. It has some memorable scenes such as this . I was frustrated with some character decisions and how the plot moved though so I remember giving it a lower score because of that but the OVA that came out afterwards was definitely better, imo.

1 Like