šŸ”· Apple AirPods MAX

This guyā€™s thoughts mirror my own pretty well. The main difference between he and I is I have less hope Apple will pull off reaching a level of technical performance that the $550 makes it worthwhile over the other ANCs from Bose and Sony hanging out around $350.

Yeah. That one gets me. Itā€™s ā€œultra low power modeā€ meaning itā€™s never off, and always draining battery, meaning that battery is going to wear out faster (theoretically).

Some hands on with them from The Verge.

Nilay Patelā€™s initial reaction to the sound is, ā€œtheyā€™re crisp and bright, with a pleasingly wider soundstage than my Sony headphones, and no distortion at all, even at max volume.ā€

He also said they come with a riff of ā€œnew car smellā€ out of the box.

Yeahhhā€¦ Ever since a certain couple of incidents, Iā€™ve had a hard time taking The Verge seriously.

Edit: For those that donā€™t knowā€¦ This is what Iā€™m talking about.
The build:

Copywrite claim abuse and hypocrisy:

5 Likes

Haha same. Today was one of the rare times i hoped onto their site.

Edit- Never saw that pc build video and glad I never did. I stopped going on the verge before that.

I havenā€™t seen that in forever, and it still makes me cringe hard as someone who works on pcs for his friends and builds his own gamer pcsā€¦

I feel like it set the standard for how bad a serious build guide can be.

I think it set a standard on what NOT to do or a how to video for blowing up your computer

Yeah, I could agree with that. I still donā€™t think I could see what their fansā€™ defense of ā€œwell, it obviously wasnā€™t supposed to be serious. Canā€™t you take a joke?ā€ had any merit.

about as much of a joke as these Airpods Max are meant to be taken seriously. Also, they make lawsuits for that I do believe since a portion of that if you followed it could literally electrocute you or lead to your computer catching on fire.

1 Like

Wew, the case looks worse than I thought. Itā€™s not just a bra purse, but one that isnā€™t even fully enclosed. Still hate the headband aesthetic.

Now that I think about it, would have looked sleeker if there was some sort of seal/cover to go over the charge port when not in use. Interested in seeing measurements for this, considering ā€œsounds goodā€ means so little without enough context.

look at the bright side, least now we have the bra case to go with the butt case

2 Likes

Playing devilā€™s advocate, is the Ā£$ sound quality / features ratio really any different to similar or higher priced audiophile headphones? Iā€™ve got 3 sets all under Ā£150 (open closed and semi open) and struggling to see / justify the extra value / cost for ā€˜betterā€™ headphones currently. Recently returned a dt1990 pro as it was only marginally better than my x2hr and also tried and returned a sennheiser momentum 3 which was almost as good as my superlux hd681 evoā€™sā€¦

On Apples case no.

On other headphones, maybe. It all comes down what you personally like. About the sound and are the tiny improvements in some FR-range worth the higher price and build / material quality.
In the money range of similar or only 50-100 more, the overall quality has minor changes. Sound is more in the range of what you personally like.

As a example.
The HD6xx are around the 200 money mark. For the price they sound very nice.
Many have written the ELEX would have similar good things, only much much more what you get from the 6XX and they are around the 600-700 money range.

They do have all the good things but really much much better. imo
But are they really worth the +~450 more ?
Then we are back on personal taste and overall quality.

On Apples case. You might have 200 earbuds but are the 550 Pods really that much better?
Build and finish probably but the overall sound? Personal taste again but i would not buy.
In the same money range and cheaper are Sony, Bose and those are not bad and there are plenty of other good headphones that are very close and might even be better. Quality and sound.

1 Like

Another use for the case?..

5 Likes

A lot of :eyes: on theseā€¦

Nice reviews. Iā€™d love to get my hands on eventually to try the sound even though I am an Android user.

Iā€™ve been thinking: Neuraphones are ~$400. If the Max has even better ANC, at least the same sound quality with the EQ, better build, better ergonomics, and brand recognition; $550 USD is not all that far-fetched as I initially thought.

Purse-case still look really terrible 0/10. No redemption for that.

best friend works for Apple here in Cupertino, he was able to use his discount and bought for me a pair of Blue AirPods Max for $412ā€¦ but the purchase was made a day later therefore 12-14 weeks out before deliveryā€¦ Im ok with the waitā€¦it comes it comes.

5 Likes