đŸ”¶ Audeze LCD-X

I love my LCD-X and I won’t get ride of it. Hazi made me second guess the LCD-X as well but I don’t regret it. Granted, the LCD-X has a hard time competing with Diana Phi’s. It’s either LCD-X or Diana because I don’t have anything else that resolves as well.

2 Likes

I understand. What amp do you like them best with?

BF2 -> RNHP -> LCD-X just sounds magical. While people complain about the treble, go ALL in with it and listen to The Avener’s songs either Panama or Lost Boy’s
 You’ll hear things that I can’t even get out of my BF2 -> GS X mini -> Diana Phi.

To be fair, I used that same chain of BF2 to RNHP to LCD-X. I also tried it on my Tuba and the G111 and Soekris
and felt it sounded like a bright fatiguing pile of male bovine feces consistently
we all hear differently.

Woah. I don’t think these sound bad. There’s just a bit more brightness in places that I notice on some tracks. My clears behave similarly but because they aren’t massive planars they bother me less when things get brights.

I think they are probably capable of more detail than my clears but I don’t think I really need more detail.

I really wanted a 2c with the detail of a $1000 headphone. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

after more listening tomorrow i’m curious as to what you might end up doing. whether you end up turning around and liking them more or sell them because the you end up preferring the clears. you could probably Eq the highs, see if that makes them worth

1 Like

They sound different today. Fml. Thicker body than the clears.

4 Likes

It’s good to take a couple of days with a new headphone before you start to compare it with others you own. Our brains tend to acclimate and adjusts to sounds very well.

Generally I find that initial impressions aren’t too far off from dedicated time listening to the same headphone.

I hope you enjoy them. :+1:t4:

4 Likes

Another day with these on and they honestly make the clear and aeon2c sound thin and weak. there is a thickness, fullness to what these produce. Im not sure if its mid-bass thats elevated or what but its an intense difference. It kind of cant be unheard. I used my clears today for meetings and stuff and tried some music and it felt like background noise by comparison to the sound of these. These sound best on my CTH, the 789 does ok but overall the slight difference from the tube goes a long way with these. I dragged my modius out to head how it behaves with these and its less impressive than I wanted it to be. They are able to soak up all the detail from the bifrost and shoot it directly into my noggin. I should have my GSX mini by next week. Hoping that pairing will seal the deal.

These seem more like an experience than a headphone now. Which is kind of what I was looking for. I do still head some resonance (ill call it that, but its a peak somewhere in the treble) once in a while but maybe thats something I can learn to ignore in trade for thicc sound.

3 Likes

They have a tremendous amount of detail, and they do scale very well with better amps (planars love current).

Glad you’re enjoying them!

1 Like

Mine have really been blowing my mind off of my Liquid Platinum.

1 Like

That makes sense. I heard mine on a Cayin HA300 recently, and it was pretty awesome. :+1:t4:

Here’s a summary of my experience:

2 Likes

Nice write-up! Amp synergy is definitely something interesting, I prefer the LCD-2’s off of my Class-A and my X’s from the LP. Really makes this hobby incredible and expensive, lol,

2 Likes

Using that pairing right now. Play “Wild” by The Avener. Man does it sound good, punchy, and twinkly. Not to my same taste with the RNHP with the holographicness of that but this amp sounds more natural than the RNHP. However, the slam for the GS X mini will make you love this amp.

3 Likes

There is a final verdict on the LCD-X. I love them, but have to send them back. After extended use these are impacting my neck. They’re honestly amazing, but I need to be able to turn my head most days. Really sad about this

3 Likes

That’s a bummer, man. Fortunately the weight wasn’t an issue for me. Not sure what the alternative would be?

I don’t remember, but have you tried the Focal Clear?

4 Likes

Yeah. I have some Clears and I can see the similarities. I would describe them as a gutless LCD-X :cry:.

I was considering Aryas but I’m not sure they’ll be much different than the clears and I’m honestly a bit put off by hifimans build. Especially compared to the Audeze tool quality build.

I’d love to have something with the body these deliver but I’m afraid it may be a function of the density of the materials used to control the massive drivers they use. I hope I’m wrong

3 Likes

Just get a neck brace for listening times. I i think the best thing for audeze to do is move things to a newer lighter chassis. I heard they put the 4s in the lighter 4z chassis so what else can they do.

I love their wood cans but i heard so many not be able to deal with the weight.

How do they compare the LCD 2 closed backs
I guess I can see heavy cans being obnoxious a bit - if they are anything like the closed but just how long are you wearing them? And then maybe motivation to hit the gym a bit no? I’ve been listening to the closed for 2 + hours every night for last two weeks and while I notice the weight, it isn’t painful and it’s not like they are build to walk around with. No se, I guess to each their own.

I would ask that question in the new LCD 2 thread.