đŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

I’d say 95% of the time my listening is sat at the kitchen table while I work from home on a laptop. I do have to plug and unplug the laptop, move into another room when the kids come in to have snacks etc. So a static amp isn’t really an option.

The thinking with the BTR5 is that it’s portable in that it can be moved easily into another room when I have to take my laptop somewhere else. I’m also not next to an obvious plug outlet, I have to stretch the laptop power cable over, so I couldn’t have an amp that plugs into mains either.

So 
 BTR5 seems to fit the bill well I guess? I could plug it into my laptop when i know I’ll be staying at the table for a while, or use Bluetooth when I’m moving between rooms.

Always welcome to other suggestions though. I wouldn’t want to go over £100 really.

Its very small, so very portable, but just about any portable amp/dac or DAP could do the trick really. If you want the most out of the Hawks i say go higher, but the BTR5 is solid :+1:

1 Like

Any other portable amps that you’d recommend? That are within budget? I’ve considered the likes of the Dragonfly’s too, but that needs the Apple camera conversion kit and it all looks a bit messy cable-wise.

1 Like

ive used the ifi hip dac and the ibasso dx160 with the hawks and had good results

1 Like

I did consider the Hip Dac but wasn’t sure how portable it would be. Also a bit more expensive than I’d like. I’m also getting a 2.5mm balanced cable with my NH’s so that would work with the BTR5 but looks like the Hip Dac doesn’t have 2.5mm balanced.

1 Like

As a person with both the Qudelix 5k and the BTR5, I like the Qudelix’s features more. It also has significantly more Bluetooth range in my testing.

Doesn’t look like it’s available in the UK too easily. Not available on Amazon which is where I’d ideally like to buy too.

The hip dac has 4.4 and a dual/combined balanced 3.5 and single ended 3.5, its very portable and more convenient to use, since the BTR5 is all digital, but the hip does not have bluetooth.I think it has better control, and a physical volume knob too. Has better buttons, etc. Not sure about the UK, but the hip was only $50 more than the BTR5 for me

Really? It is on amazon but perhaps it’s only in the CONUS amazon. Oh well

@DagsJT for more power to push the hawks you might look at the Xduoo XD05. It’s been out for a while and you might be able to find one used. There are several different models. I don’t really know the differences but I believe they generally have a good reputation. There is also the iFi Nano BL. Should be able to pick one of those up for close to 100£.

3 Likes

going balanced on with my NHC on my ifi Ze DAC made a world of difference! :smiley:

Hmm XD05 isn’t easily available and the Nano looks a bit chunky.

I think I’ll probably just stick to the BTR5. It should drive the Nighthawk’s well enough for me, and it’s small and convenient enough to move around.

The BTR5 will easily drive these headphones and you’ll enoy the sound, particularly if you are able to connect using LDAC codec. If you want a DAC in the XD05 price range then I would seriously consider the Fiio Q5s Type-C, where the amp modules are interchangeable and comes with the highly rated THX AAA amp module. For me, this is a great pairing with the NHs and the LDAC codec sounds the best option for these if your source device is compatible.

Hi everyone, I’ve used the NHC for almost two weeks now and they had around 80 hours of burn in with music, gaming and pink noise over night. Im however still getting pretty sharp s and t sounds for example in Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears for Fears. I don’t have an amp or dac yet but will probably buy the Ifi Zen DAC soon. Currently Im just using a new MacBook Air to drive them. Is it my ears, my setup or something else?

Which pads are you using?

1 Like

The standard pleather ones but I doesn’t change much with the suede ones.

1 Like

Suede should give ya some relief with what you are saying too. I’m wondering too if your laptop isn’t giving it the quality/quantity juice it needs, so its pushing it too much, and you got volume going pretty high? What audio sources are you using?

1 Like

Xduoo is bae with hawks ime as well

2 Likes

That would make sense. Im currently just using Apple Music, but wanted to check out Tidal anyway.

1 Like

Yea just thinking of issues, the Zen dac too should help. Stick with it, hawks are a great set

1 Like