šŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

i have a question for you concerning the harmonic richness of the NHC
how is it ?

Itā€™s a very musical headphone imo. Very harmonically rich. Just very full and rich sounding

thank you very much for your help

1 Like

+1

I think that they are very good for orchestral music.

Make sure, you get a pair of nighthawk CARBON, because they come with 2 pairs of pads. The microsuede pads are better for orchestral i think

Iā€™ve joined the nighthawk crew, here! Finally got a pair (carbons). Iā€™ve had them for a couple of weeks now and I really, really love them. I admit I didnā€™t love them at first but I already know it takes my ears some time to get used to new things. I was patient, and It was worth it. The Nighthawks are dang magical!

9 Likes

Iā€™ve re-bought my second pair of these. Every time i sell one i miss them so much i need to buy another one.
They arenā€™t the best at anything but they are really really comfortable and i love how they feel. The sound is another thing altogether - some love it, some donā€™t. I find it ok, especially since the last pair i got for about 200 bucks.

6 Likes

Welcome! NHC are great for sure!

1 Like

what source would you associate with the NHs to listen to jazz and classical?
thanks

What price range are you thinking? And do you have any source gear currently to work with?

i only have a cd player connected to my musical fidelity headphones amp

i want to spend maximum 300$

Are you wanting to start streaming? If so I would imagine you would want to pick up some sort of DAC next. Iā€™m not familiar with the amp you mentioned so I canā€™t comment on synergy but if you are in the USA the Schiit Modius is a flexible unit and is supposed to be a solid DAC at $200. It wonā€™t stream the audio on its own and will need some sort of source fed to it like your computer, tablet, or phone. Outside the US I think the Topping E30 is a solid option and there are a slew of other DACs under $200 to choose from. Most are pretty solid and they end up being more similar than different.

Edit: also if your CD player has any sort of digital out then it will probably give you better sound from your transport as well if you run it through a dedicated external DAC.

Which do you think is a better deal.4 year old of nighthawks for 200 dollars or a set of mint nighthawk carbon for 270 dollars

Whats the condition on the 4year old? Is it the original nighthawk? If the pads are still mint, its a great deal. 270 for the cabon isnt bad.

Iā€™d go for the carbons. You get two sets of pads and the extra set you get (suede) is preferred by many on this forum. The leathers are also good though and give you a different flavor. Iā€™d happily spend $270 on mint ones, especially now seeing as theyā€™ve been discontinued for awhile.

$200 is pretty great though for the og if itā€™s in good condition. Check the pads and the hinges where the suspension strap connects.

1 Like

What do you guys think for a bassy open back? Im thinking of nighthawks vs harmonicdyne zeus in this price range, soundstage will also come to play.

Im going to assume the nighthawks will be a lot darker sounding compared to the Zeus so thats something to consider. Hope to read more impressions on the Zeus soon, wouldnā€™t mind listening to a pair.

Hello,

I am very interested in the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon and would like to know if it is a good choice for Rock, Metal & movies or do you think there are better opportunities? I will decide between the Sennheiser HD58X, Emu Teak, Focal Clear, Audioquest Nighthawk and Audio Technica ATH-R70x. There are people who say the Clear and R70 have too less bass and are too neutral and the Teak could be too slow for faster metal genres (thrash, black and so on).

I ordered the 58X but i could cancel it. The Clear was cheap (<1kā‚¬) but actually with 1250 a bit too expensive for me and the teak is a bit difficult to get. I know the Clear should be the best one of these 5 headphones, but is it also for movies, rock and metal? I think i will stay on the HD58X or buy the R70x or the nighthawk.

Is it easy to change the pads of the nighthawk? One pad is probably better for movies (bass) and the second one is smoother and for music. Is that correct? So you can get two different soundings with one headphone? What would you do? Which one is the best for theses genres? As amplifier I will use the Smsl Sh-9. It is really difficult to decide between these headphones because the R70x or HD58x are also very good. Whatā€™s the best choice in your opinion? I know, it is the Nighthawk-Thread but maybe you know the other headphones, too :).

Iā€™m pretty sure that @Towa liked the hawks for rock, or metal or something like that. Also i adore the 58x but the hawks are worth it IMO. With stock pads they sound great, definetly better than the 58x in basically everything while also doing what the 58x does well. In addition if itā€™s a bit dark with some zmf pads they become something completely different.

I love my NHC for everything! I run them off the balanced out of my ifi Zen DAC and love em!

2 Likes