šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT1990

I did a pad change to dekoni elite hybrid which helps with the sibilance issue by quite a bit! I used to have to eq to enjoy them, but now i can do so without eq

Now they playing like they should be sibilant. Tone down 8k

Easiest fix are the amiron wireless foam disc the remove the sibilance completely if you want to buy dekoni pads also the foam pad on works with elite velour great

If you have to describe the DT1990, what are its main characteristics?

Just ordered Amiron wireless Foam disc and some spare parts on the europe website, because US website sold out,
But there was a ridiculous thing happens to me and waste my money.

I need to use the international forwarding company to ship it to me,
After I purchase, I found wrong information about the shipping (auto fill by google),
The international forwarding company I use has a policy , if the name not correct, will be treated as abandoned.

So I emailing them to change of it, But they tell me canā€™t change any information, even the product not start to ship. I tell them the product will be lost, but they just keep saying the system and company policy, they canā€™t help or conncet to they warehouse. And I canā€™t even cancel the order. So they will keep shipping even they know it will be lost.

I know I have a certain responsibility for my mistake. but I feel angry and disponiting about this. The customers service is not helpful at all.
If you guys want to buy something on their website should be very careful.

Who wonā€™t cancel the order, Beyer or the forwarding company?

Did you pay by credit card or PayPal? If so, contact them before it ships and explain the situation to them.

I buy from Beyerā€™s website,I purchase by credit card .In one for the email, they reply me ā€œWe can no longer intervene in the order. Accordingly, cancellation is no longer possible.ā€

I would try contacting your credit card company and explain the situation, maybe they can help.

I tried, but seem the payment is already done. Iā€™m contacting my international forwarding company, hope they help.

Hi guys. I bought a brand new Dt1990 again. Iā€™m wondering if any of you have a 95000+ serial.
The clamping force is not as strong as the old one, also the B pads are softer somehow. The first time I had the dt1990, the clamp was really strong and I remember the B pads were stiffer than the t1.2nd gen, closer to the t1.3rd.

Bought thm againā€¦ I found an open box for $300, but was able to purchase them with a discount for $275 on Ebay. Really good deal if you ask me.

Here are some snaps of them:

2 Likes

Can anyone here compare the DT1990 to the T60RP Argons?

These are $499 on Amazon right now. I just ordered a set, along with other stuff Iā€™ll put in the what did I buy today thread.

3 Likes

Mine sounded fantastic right out of the box. You would have to use EQ to screw up the sound of these, or a crap song/source, or crap amp. On my Singxer SA1 if I had to describe the sound of them in one word, Iā€™d say smooth.

Having just spent my first day with the 1990s, I am so impressed by these headphones. The detail and imaging is absolutely fantastic. They really paint a vivid 3D image of individual instruments. Very engaging to listen to. Having spent years with other lesser Beyers like the 880 and 770, these are such a natural and wonderful evolution.

2 Likes

I will also add that folks who say that the detail present in these headphones is ā€œfake detailā€ from the treble emphasis, are full of it. These things are as resolving as a set of Genelec monitors in a recording studio.

3 Likes

I solely used a set of DT770 for over 10 years at home and travelling then at the start of this year decided to finally upgrade, I started with the DT1990 but they were damaged b-stock sold as new, so I sent them back and then came across a set of imported/used (EU) Elex which Iā€™ve loved.

I have a home studio so the DT1990 were always going to happen and picked them up in September and shortly after caught the upgrade virus going around, tried the Elegia, then the Clear Mg which were both great but the former leaked too much to use travelling, the latter the build was a bit shoddy for even the 60% used price, so just made do with what I had and have to say the DT1990 are the best all rounders Iā€™ve heard - fine details but not harsh, really nice sense of 3D air/space in the soundstage, the bass with the balanced pads is exactly as stated - fully there when itā€™s there in the recording but doesnā€™t colour the sound.

I still have my eye on other headphones although out of curiosity not out of necessity. The DT1990 are 100% lifetime keepers, which is realistic as all parts are replaceable. I think they must be among the best value headphones out there. If I had to pick one desert island headphone, at the moment it would be the DT1990.

2 Likes

I have a set and love the B pads but they are wearing and never were as comfortable as I wanted. Iā€™ve surmised the Dekoni elite velour are more between the A and B than an improvement on the Bs so after reading through most of this I really couldnā€™t figure out what to get. What is the consensus for people that like the B pads and want a more comfortable fit? Iā€™m thinking the Hybrids or suede. Thanks in advance!

all of the dekoni graphs are done against B pads. so just pick the one that differs in ways you prefer. IIRC the velours or the fenestrated will probably be closest to what you want.

Oh I always thought they used the A pads. Iā€™m looking on their blog and canā€™t see anything but ā€œstockā€ used as the term.

If anyone has interest in modding their DT1990s to a 4 pin miniXLR this thread on ASR has invaluable details Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro, DT-1770 Pro Driver Wiring | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I followed the info there and did it today with it being completely reversible since I bought spare hardware from consolidated sound before starting along with an Amphenol AG4MCC that is a perfect drop in replacement.

The only difficult part was soldering the transfer cable going to the right cup to the jack which I did with the jack in position instead of finding an easier method (likely moving the boot up and leaving the jack hanging out the bottom of the cup).

It is an easily reversed mod since youā€™re not doing anything to the actual drivers if you use the beyerdynamic stock cables with molex connectors. You can just buy new hardware for about $30 and its back to stock.