šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Worth try out a power calculator?..

dt 880 doesnā€™t seem to be even on that list lol

Just fill in the HP sensitivity, Impedance and DB required, obviously itā€™s a guide only :+1:

1 Like

I donā€™t think that calculator is very useful. It lists so few Amps. I do like the idea of it and I could imagine a better version of it would be amazing.

Totally reminded me of:

Barbosa-morelikeguidelines

And that goes for this hobby really. Yes, measurements can and do help our understanding of things that will sound good and work well together. But it comes down to your ears. Do you like the sound of a low-impedance planar through an OTL tube amp? Great, enjoy it. Do you like the super clean sound of THX? Great. Enjoy it. Is Spotifyā€™s quality good enough for you? Great. Enjoy it. Etc.

Agree I did start a thread about what people would personally rec as good pairingsā€¦might be good to add to that as thereā€™s no thread that actually covers that?..

1 Like

Has anyone tried these with the schiit asgard 3? It is 300mW @600 Ohm which is a bit more than the SP200 (220mW). I should be getting one this week, as well as a set of dt880s. Will make an adapter for my speaker amp (100Wpc @ 8 Ohm) and compare to the asgard when I have had a solid listen. Hopefully it will sound good out of the asgard as well, concidering it is almost 3x the power of the 789 singel ended.

I saw Zeos running them on the sp200 no problemā€¦ I have the A3 and know it has a shitton of power so should run them easy

I have. They complement each other very well. For both, their real strength is in their spatial presentation, being class leading in their price ranges, IMO. That really comes out when you run them together. The sound is wide and the imaging is really well done. The A3 has all the power needed. The resolution, dynamics, and punch are all there. I think the Darkvoice with Sylvania tubes just edges out the A3 when driving the 880 in terms of Soundstage width and bass extension and impact. But, by the time you get a DV at Dropā€™s typical $200 offering and add those tubes, it becomes more like a $300 amp, and the A3 is only $200.

You can. Which amp? Unless youā€™re dropping serious cash I doubt this will sound any better than the A3. Speakers are usually (not always) more forgiving of amp noise than headphones.

4 Likes

Yupā€¦ plenty of power and actually a really nice pairing imoā€¦ if you scroll up a bit I left some impressions

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! Nice to hear that it will work well. The speaker amplifier is a class D amp that I built rather cheap so it is probably nowhere near the quality of the asgard, just thought it would be interesting to see how the extra power affects it.

How do these compare to the k712 on the darkvoice?

Youā€™re welcome. The 880 has a specified sensitivity of 96dB/mW. Thatā€™s not great sensitivity, it also isnā€™t terrible. But, it also means that 220+mW gives plenty of headroom.

Thanks a lot for all the really interesting advice, all thoroughly useful. Sorry I couldnā€™t respond earlier. I wasnā€™t allowed to post anymore as Iā€™m new.

I think Iā€™ll save up for the Darkvoice or something similar but in the meantime Iā€™ll return my 250ohms to amazon and exchange it for the 600 and see how it goes from there.

btw, does the DarkVoice really heat up so much to become dangerous or pose a fire threat? I find it hard to believe it would be allowed on the market. Maybe its just an exaggeration. Anyone with experience with it might want to chime in?

Does anyone think itā€™s worth staying with the 250 ohms version?

The Asgaard 3 is too hard to get a hold of here. The asgaard 2 is available second hand at around 180 euros I think, roughly $200. I donā€™t know if the two versions are comparable or if the 3 is a huge upgrade.

Perhaps someone knows something about amps available in Europe that are just as good quality and cheap as the asgaard 3.

Uploading: image.jpegā€¦ Uploading: image.pngā€¦

it gets significantly hotā€¦ I wouldnā€™t recommend leaving in on when youre not using itā€¦ that said leaving it on for say 24 hrs is fine say to burn in tubes and wonā€™t be a fire hazard unless it comes into contact with something flammable eg. fabric

our mod here is MIAā€¦ im starting to get worried

I see. Letā€™s hope for the best, maybe heā€™s resting. Itā€™s Sunday anyway.

Donjklassen do you think you could answer any of the other questions I just posted?

this one?.. I have no experience with the 250 ohm personally but the overwhelming consensus here is the 600 ohm is the one to get

ok. I think Iā€™m decided on it on your response.
I was actually tilting more and more to the Sundara but then saw Metal571ā€™s review and the build and quality control looks awful. Maybe best to wait a couple years until they get their act together. For now Iā€™m really happy with the dt880 build, even the wire suits me perfectly.

Up until now the DarkVoice and the asgaard seem like the standout amps, but the asgaard is unreachable.

Any alternative good dt880 and amp pairings? Would the Bravo V2 be too weak, low quality? It powers the 250ā€™s well.

so the sundara had a silent revision recently and I think it may have improved qc and also sound (better bass presence and improved comfort) but you need something like the Asgard 3 to power it to potential imoā€¦ ive had mine for many months with no issues and its really an excellent headphone and class leading at its price

canā€™t say for certain but looking at the numbers I would say youā€™d be better of with the darkvoice or a little dot mk2 for the 600 ohmā€¦ I think getting one of those along with trading the 250 for the 600 would be a nice step up from what you have