đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

Are you in the EU? Thomann.de have them in stock with free delivery

Just curous does the 600ohm version still suffer from beyer spiky trebble as with the 250ohm ver?

I was wondering what pads work on this to warm it up for the bass. I was thinking about swapping out the ZMF protein pads from my argon’s. Would this make the 880 600 ohm more wide or have more bass? I don’t have then yet. I was just wondering what sound could happen with a pad swap since I love detail. What I should do is get a sp200 to proporly drive the argon’s first though.

ZMF Lambskin worked for me with the 770s. I would assume any variant of the leather ZMFs would do the same for the 880s. I don’t think width was affected. The ZMF pads transformed the 770 into a different headphone for me pretty much.

hmm I have tried to enjoy these a few times already and tried them again on my liquid plat with bifrost 2. Nope, unfortunately it just lacks too much body and bass for my personal tastes in sound. Would take dt 990 600 ohm any day of the week.

I have purchased the Emotiva A-100 after testing it out on my A90/RME adi2 dac fs, I can definitely see the potential I was testing filters and dbu levels on my dac, it seems if i max out the amp, lower the dac to -5 dbu it cleans up the treble a bit, bass is alright imaging soundstage is wide and well implemented I’m messing with the Filters and I think my favorite might be NOS. i wouldn’t call it a giant killer as of yet i guess i’ll find out when I get the A-100, but I like it for a cheap backup headphone I Iike the vocals but the Audio technica ATH-AWTK definitely take the cake for vocals, but this isn’t a slouch it impressed it, I thought I liked HD650 with tubes more, but this might be more up my alley.

PS I feel like the Audio technica ATH-AWTK are the endgame version of these.

1 Like

oh interesting, somehow unless the 600ohm version cleaned up the treble and made it slightly elevated but still very smooth compared to the 250ohm version I dont really see it being comparable to the AWKT.

Although I think I read somewhere that beyer spiky treble is intentional for mixing reasons as smooth treble tends to make people gloss over issues after working with the headphone for hours. Somehow I doubt that design feature will go away.

Still interested in hearing the 600ohm version to see how much of the treble they smoothed out though

That being said I would still take the AWKT as a “cheap” alternative to the verite open.
Btw I take it the AWKT is no longer giving static issues?

1 Like

wow thats an expensive headphone. 1800$

Its also described as a thin neutral sounding headphone. the verite is more warm full u shaped isnt it?

Without messing with frequencys I’ve smoothed out the treble. But the problem is at least running it through my topping a90 their is audible treble harshness and sibilance(only during a specific frequency range) but it doesn’t spike so I’m hoping more power will transform them and fix it.

I’ve never heard it tbh

Awkt has probably the most natural sounding sig while being neutral treble is just enough with 0 spikes or harshness the vocals have more texture visceral(I mean it’s neutral so whatever the singer introduces you’ll hear) and sound slightly further away vs the dt880 the awtk creates a 3d space dt880 not so much
 The awtk is better in every way but the dt880 to my ears sounds similar I’m just saying the best step up from a dt880 is the awtk at under $2k.

The awtk is anything but thin with my setup rme adi2 dac and topping a90 amp

1 Like

The idea of taking something cheap-ish and making it sound like a high-end product has always appealed to be greatly. Now I plan to use the Beyer DT880 600ohm Zsetup with the a speaker amp.

My question is: How important is speaker amp quality if I already have a decent DAC (Topping D10)? Would there be noticable difference using a Lepai, Nobsound, or SMSL SA36 vs a pricier speaker amp?

Thanks, guys!

I THINK, based on the emotiva a-100 recommendation, it might be better to look around a speaker amp with similar specs. smsl sa36 is less half of that, which is probably not enough

1 Like

Does this mean I should be looking at something that’s 50WPC or more?

possibly, but keep in mind that Z was using it with a lowered input level to get more power from the amp into the headphones. You absolutely don’t need that much power to get them loud. Z just said that if you lower the input by say 10-12db and use a more powerful amp it sounds better for some reason (way better in his opinion).
it would be nice to have confirmation on this.

1 Like

I have just wrote up a tutorial on how to mod the DT880 600ohm to balance. Basically separating the grounds and going with the more common dual 3.5mm cable.

So right now, I am essentially powering them with my THX 789, which does 400mw at 600ohm. It isn’t as powerful as the Emotiva BasX A100 which does 600mw, but it’s close and it is just right. You don’t have to crank it up to full tilt and suffer through distortion.

I can hear the micro details of Yoko Kanno’s Piano Solo without being analytical. It’s just more of there. It’s not as spacious as an Elex, but the Elex doesn’t have this kind of detail too. The highs are well controlled too at that power, so no treble murder.

If you can and you feel comfortable, I do recommend modding it. It does bring out the best of it, especially with more power from balanced amps.

7 Likes

I dont think the RNHP is a good amp for beyers lol. especially the high impedance ones, my dt800 600ohm i have to turn it up to max to get enough volume. not good. like the OP I wish i had a more powerful amp. so whats the cheapest most power amp for these? something under 200$ would be nice

Zeos says they need power, but says the THX amps distort for some reason

Asgard 3 works really well. $200.

That’s because single ended on the THX is weak and if you push the gain to max, you’re overvolting the input, and thus getting distortion.

That’s why balance mod, now I run the DT880 on medium gain balanced, between 10-12 o’clock, and it sounds really good.