šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Thanks for asking.
Distortion: itā€™s a fuzzy incoherent crackling sound when the volume goes up beyond a certain level but not too high to listen too.
So far Iā€™ve heard it on all genres, mainly classical and rock.
The headaches are across the board so even though I would have liked to have them work I think it best to return them.

I sent in the Lake People Amp today to Germany for repair. Fried Reim convinced me, and he said the G109 is basically the same as the G111 except for the balanced outputs.

2 Likes

OK. Sorry to hear the 880 isnā€™t working out for you. For you picking up a Senn HD600 or HD650 might be good, especially with your tube amp.

1 Like

Iā€™m a newbie, and Iā€™m a little confused about amps
what should i get in order to run the beyerdinamic dt 880 (600Ī©)?
Is that the right question?
I would like to bring out all the details of the headset.
what amp would be the most suitable for a tight budget?

How tight of a budget are you working with here?

Also depends on if you already have a dac. Are you looking for a stack or a dac/amp combo

After spending a lot of time with the DT 880s this has become my go to gaming headphone. Imaging is pretty damn good and soundstage is wide enough that I find myself wanting to use them more over my Argons for casual gaming and it pretty much replaced my 598s for ā€œcompetitiveā€ gaming.

3 Likes

Did you try gaming with them once balanced modded? I also have a A90 with a E30 Dac. Thinking about getting these DT880 600ā€™s to balanced for gaming primarily.

got my modded detachable DT880 600ohm from CustomCans. On SMSL SH-8 its about 3.6 roentgen, not great, not terrible, not good enough. Iā€™ll probably upgrade that part but its a helluva lot better on Bottlehead Crack, sounds amazing and now detachable.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a good use case, they are pretty excellent for gaming. I didnā€™t test the a90 + 880 for gaming but it would be pretty high preforming based off what it did, the 880 is great for gaming in general

What do you have powering your DT880ā€™s? Also are you using them balanced modded?

I have a story for you guys.
I remember when I had my dt880 600 black edition before zeos came. They where magic. Every genre of music sound amazing. I didnā€™t skip a song of my entire library. I paired them with a LS and sdac-B.

At that time I tried a lot of headphones, sundaras, t1, amiron, dt1990, ndh20, and some other mid fi.And I always came back to the dt880. During the quarantine I post most of my headphones on eBay at a ā€œhighā€ price, I want to get views in case I need the money for any emergency. Zeos came in and someone bought my beloved dt880 600 all black edition, I didnā€™t want to decline the sale ( good guy).
I felt something is missing. I think I could never find an all black dt880. I might buy the premium silver edition down the roadā€¦

Amazing headphone 100% worth it! I have the t1.2nd and it kinds of filled the void th dt880 left.
:grin:

4 Likes

@GeeKDll No I am not using them balanced modded. I am currently switching between the Asgard 3 and the Dark Voice amp to power them.

Just rediscoverd my millet nuhybrid headphone amp. Really good pairing with the 880-600ohm has plenty of power rarely have to ever go past 11 oā€™clock on the volume knob for any of my music. It also has more grunt than the Topping A90 in single ended and doesnā€™t cost an arm and a leg either.

8 Likes

That little amp is really good. I need to make another one sometime and design a case for it etc. :smiley:

In one of his videos Joshua Valour mentions using the foam disk from the AKG M220 on the T1s and the 1990 pro to help with the brightness and siblance. I wonder how well it would work on the 880s. I havenā€™t seen it being talked about anywhere else.

Succseful mod! :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Did you do it, or farm it out?

1 Like

I did it, mainly to use a hart audio cable

:+1: :+1: Nice work.

1 Like

Just got the Pendant in last night, and 880 was my first pairing. I have been eager to hear more from the 880s, and did expect a nice synergy with tubes, but did not expect the endgame-level experience that ensued. All of the minor flaws Iā€™d heard from 887, RNHP and even A90 evaporated and gave way to what was a completely mesmerizing and vividly holographic presentation.

Itā€™s going to be really interesting to go back to SS when the V280 gets here tomorrow and see if gobs of power is enough to recapture some of that magic, or if it really was just my luck to stumble on a fantastic synergy with the Pendant.

2 Likes