šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Nice lol, the beyers sure love tubes, the t1.2 and 880 600 are my faves, they just scale so well (like the 600s lol), glad you are liking them so far :+1:

Iā€™m going to say that the quality of the power is more responsible than the quantity lol

1 Like

Honestly, even on the Darkvoice which is nothing against that Pendant amp, it sounds amazing.

True, and thatā€™s something Iā€™m still working to wrap my head around since itā€™s not easy to suss out from straight measurements.* The A90 is another of those ā€œmeasures clean enough to please the ASR crowdā€ designs, but with more power across the board than the 887. What little time Iā€™ve spent with it, I have found it to do better than the 887 with headphones at the further extremes (either higher impedance or more current-thirsty).

The V280 has a design that seems specifically targeted at those extremes to do both very well (and presumably the mid-range stuff that is easier to drive wonā€™t have any trouble with the relative ā€œsagā€ in power around 100 ohms), so it should be a good match for all manners of headphones. At least thatā€™s as far as my technical expectations have taken me, and why (in addition to recommendations and the Drop price) I opted to pick one up.

In any case, I am hopeful that V280 should be a more optimum match for the 880s than any other SS amp I have and looking forward to seeing where the listening experience falls relative to A90 and Pendant.

[*] One major shortcoming of measurements is that theyā€™re looking only at a persistent, static tone and Iā€™m not confident theyā€™re saying anything about instantaneous power delivery or other phenomena that involve time as a variable. Another open question is the idea of ā€œheadroom,ā€ which is where I think weā€™re both saying the same thingā€“absolute power is less meaningful than how much clean power you have at your disposal to not only reach sufficient volume levels, but to do so while maintaining absolute control over the driver for a distortion-free listening experience.

Iā€™ll have to dig out my Little Dot Mk III and see how that does. I played around with my Sennheiser 600-series on that, and it was fun, but it didnā€™t keep up with what other headphones did on SS. I havenā€™t revisited that amp since I started collecting Beyers.

1 Like

Indeed

I would tend to agree, I prefer it sonically over the thx amps

For the most part I would agree, itā€™s a very well rounded higher end amp

Curious to see how you think it pans out :+1:

1 Like

I donā€™t see an official thread for thatā€“should we (I? you?) start one? Either way, Iā€™ll post thoughts once I get some time with it.

Will do lol

Edit: this needs to be turned off

1 Like

That reads like a poorly translated fortune cookie. :rofl:

Since you have waaaaaay more experience with highend stuff, Iā€™m curious to hear about that, if you test it sometime.

1 Like

Got myself a very cheap solution to the horribly long and tangle prone cable.

Itā€™s very light and flexible and itā€™s only $1 at Dollar Tree. I have another one for the v-moda cable for my Argons

4 Likes

Just purchased a pair. Should be in Thursday the day after I make it home from a 3 week shift. Looking forward to listening to them.

5 Likes

Where did you find a pair for sale?

https://m.thomannmusic.com/

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure on final price yet cause Iā€™ll have to deal with import when itā€™s delivered. Pretty sure itā€™ll be ~$50 cheaper than I could have bought anywhere else.

Yeah, Iā€™ve been looking around for these headphones and canā€™t find them anywhere near MSRP.

Killer combo. Millet Hybrid MiniMAX with Bendix 12FK6 Tubes. Bit more bloom in the bass and the headphones are way less sterile sounding in comparison to a solid state. Much more pleasing to the ear thats for sure. Picture is of me adjusting the bias for these tubes. I recommend this one over the millet nuhybrid amp I posted earlier as its way less microphonic. Both sound great with the DT-880 but this one edges it out.

4 Likes

Still have not managed to get my Little Dot out, but I did managed to hook up the V280 today. Iā€™m out of desk space and my electrical connections are starting to look Griswold-esque. :slight_smile:

In any case, more data points: straight out of the box with no pre-gain enabled 880s sounded good-but-not-great, and I could push the volume way too close to the max (probably around 3:00). However, with +12dB pregain, I have way more headroom (max comfortable listening volume is now between 10 and 11), and sound resolution is finally similar to what Iā€™m getting out of the Pendant. The remaining differences are subtle; spatial detail feels more holographic and 3D with Pendant.

It feels like I am answering half of my questions about 880s on the Pendantā€“which parts were power and which were tubes. Ample clean SS power is allowing the 880s room to perform. The whole soundscape is rendered a little more cleanly with individual sound elements coming through more natural and relaxed and less ā€œstrainedā€ or fuzzy. Itā€™s a fairly subtle, yet easily appreciable difference. To make a visual analogy, it feels like the difference between looking through plexiglass vs optical glass.

In any case, someday I will get to the Little Dot, and Iā€™ll come back again and leave more impressions.

6 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts! :grinning: :ok_hand:

1 Like

2-3 more days and Iā€™ll get to test drive mine :+1:.