šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Iā€™ve got my new amp aswell. Had a few hours listening till now.
Iā€™m curious if Iā€™m even able to tell the difference to my magni 2.
Itā€™s really not that easy to understand the little differences between one ss amp and another ss amp.

One thing I noticed between the Magni 2 and the lake people is better bass performance.
And maybe everything sounds a little bit smoother and it sounded generally more like it has to sound like this. Donā€™t know how to describe.
It definitely sounds better. I will listen and learn I guess :smiley:

Edit: Listening to the Beyers right now. The music seems to have a bit more depth/soundstage in every direction.

1 Like

I am just returning to audio gear in a very,very long time. I bought the DT 880 600ohm 2 weeks ago after dipping my toes in with the KZ 10 pros , Koss kph 30iā€™s and the Btr5 Nov - January. I have to say I am enjoying these from my PC through the btr5 a whole lot. While the btr obviously struggles itā€™s enjoyable to my ears at just past the mid volumes, past that starts to bring just a little distortion but nothing too distracting imho.
The few times it has gotten sibilant with me the song playing at the time was the culprit and as someone who is treble sensitive I still enjoy these despite that. I see others find it lacking bass and again I find that varies from track to track in my listening experience so far.
I canā€™t wait to hear what it sounds like when I upgrade my equipment later this week. I got my su 8 last Wednesday and the Asgard 3 should be arriving shortly after some back and forth mails with Schiit convincing them I was indeed purchasing their product lol. Kinda excited tbh :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice! The a3 should be a really good step up. Curious to hear what you think eventually. The dt880ā€™s but also the 30iā€™s you may find improve as well lol

1 Like

Full cost to bring into Canada through Thomannmusic.com was $285 CAD. ~$65-70 cheaper than anywhere elseā€¦if anyone was curious. ~$25 import fees.

Wow, that is really cheap! So, that was your total cost landed, including shipping and taxes?

Just paid the $25 bucks for import fee to UPS before they will deliverā€¦believe it was $261(for headphone and shipping) after conversion from Thomann so $286 all together. Should be delivered tmr I believe.

Wow for a 600 Ohm pair! Funny how I think nothing about ordering from Asia but never even consider ordering from Europe. I guess just always assume that Europe = pricey.
Please post tomorrow if it went well, with no extra costs. If so, I will order tomorrow.

Thanks! :+1:

These took no time to get here ordered 4 days ago. I believe Thomann is european distributor but these came out of the US. Iā€™ll keep you posted when they arrive.

1 Like

I have gained even more respect for these headphones. They handle the Zen Dacā€™s xbass boost piped through an Asgard 3 with aplomb. I only got an hour or so in listening on that combo so far but I pulled up as many bass torture tests as I could. At about 75dB average SPL, no distortion, no muddiness, no mid-bass bloat or bleed into midrange. The Zenā€™s Burr Brown implementation also reduced the treble brightness to a level where sibilance and sharpness fairly well disappeared after about 15mins of listening. So far an excellent signal chain. Stay tuned for moreā€¦

4 Likes

Nice to hear! I keep my max at 75 Dbā€™s. My only fear on these is the brightness, but for the right price, I will definitely try them.

You are a jazz man, yes? The 880 is an excellent jazz and orchestral can. Where the brightness becomes an Achilles heel is with close-micā€™d, energetically played cymbals and poorly recorded vocals. The cymbals part mostly shows up in rock music recording the drums with the ā€œGlyn Johnsā€ technique. That puts a mic about 1m above the cymbals and leaves it up to the drummer to throttle it back so as not to overwhelm the mic. If that statement made you chuckle, you see the problem. More distant in-room mics and the DT880 is spectacular.

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t resist. I just placed my order!

Thanks for the heads up.

Would anyone like to jump in and comment on the included cable? Also, are the connectors 3.5mm?

The cable is the biggest downer. Itā€™s 3m long, attached, and ungainly. The only good thing about it is you get a cool ā€œ600ohmā€ label on the plug.

If youā€™re at all handy this balanced detachable mod is not nearly as onerous as it may seem. I highly recommend doing it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, I forgot it was a fixed cable.
I am OK with SE as I am only looking to run them on my tube amp and my Violectric.

1 Like

I actually like the long cable. Sometimes it can get a bit annoying on the desk for sure, but it gives me the room to stand up and move if the music wants me to move :smiley:

4 Likes

Also amending my earlier post that I thought it originated in the statesā€¦no it just came fast enough to make it here in like 4 days from Germany.

1 Like

So I just got the Monolith 887/RME Stack, but it doesnā€™t seem that will drive these. Any recommendations for an AMP I could add to current setup?

What price range are you considering?

500-600 CAD area.

Hey I thought Noel from Wheezy Reviews did a pretty good review on the DT 880, so thought I would share with the rest of the classā€¦

3 Likes