đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

Did they arrive? If so, what do you think?

My price wasn’t quite as good as yours. Are you in Alberta? My cost was $266.00 (exchange rate must have moved a bit or just more for using PayPal). I got an email from UPS this morning looking for $43.91 for taxes and clearance fee. So, I am at about $310.00, landed. Still happy with that price and very curious to hear them.

They did arrive and sound good. Been out and about the last few days so haven’t used a lot yet. I’ll touch back after break in and some more time with them.

I ended up going for the Asgard 3. Didn’t wanna mess with tubes as they seem above my weight class for now.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty nice amp, should be sweet :+1:, sorry I didn’t respond to the post earlier, got sidetracked by work

1 Like

Good amp. Good match for 880. Enjoy! :beers:

1 Like

What amp do you use?

Using my new toys now. My tube amp is not of the thick and bassy variety. They didn’t sound very full so I turned on the Schiit Loki and now things sound Very nice!
With the Loki on, I can’t go past 1:00.

So far nice, full sound (with Loki), and I am not noticing any brightness yet. Of course with my T5p.2’s took a few months for the treble to get to me.

They definitely punch above their weight. Plugged them into the Violectric for about one minute and was definitely impressed. After a few days I will try them on the Violectric for a long time, using the dip switches.

Just to play with my tube amp, I re-bought the HD600’s (used) and these (new), for about the same price. These are WAY more fun! :smile:

9 Likes

Hey enjam!

Last July when I wrote that it was a THX 789. Now it’s a SPL Phonitor. Both would be able to power these, I think. But I never actually bought the BD 600ohms.

1 Like

Never had the Phonitor but I dont think the THX 789 would be able to power these unless you balance mod the 880. The single ended output of the 789 has less power than a Liquid Spark.

1 Like

I have mentioned it a couple times already, but to me the DT880 sound amazing on the Lyr 3, they sound great on the Sp200, and they sound bad on the JDS Labs Atom. I have tested all 3 amps paired with 2 different DACs ( Bifrost 2 and Su-8) using a switcher.

1 Like

Velour ear pads and hot weather = Yuck!
My pads were soaked yesterday. My wife picked them up last night, hours after I had used them and said “these are soaking wet!” At least they will be nice in the winter. :laughing:

Just out of curiostiy:
I actually really love the sound of the DT880s. They get the most listening time out of all my headphones since i have them here. Even though i thought the Darkvoice is THE match for these, they are hooked to the lake people amp since days and they sound so awesome!
How would the upgrade path from these look like? Dt1990 next? T1?
What about Planars with similar signature? Just thinking because i guess i will safe up money to get a higher end headphone as my next purchase to complement my LCD2C and i need stuff to research :D.
I guess i will go for a test session as soon as the heat in germany goes away and autumn starts. Probably i will know better than.
Just want to get an overview of all the options. I dont know what i would pay since it has quite a lot of time till than, but i would consider more expensive stuff aswell - more expensive than my LCD2C.

I would personally say the t1.2 has more in common with the 880 600 ohm, but both are a shift in signature imo

Hmmm this is a tough one, personally I can’t think of a planar that really sounds like the 880s of the top of my head

1 Like

gotta say in my opinion its the 1990s that are most similar using analytical pads to the 880
 T1 is quite a bit different
 brighter, much more bass, different mids and sound slightly raised, much wider soundstage, rounded bass, very relaxed approach unlike the aggresiveness of the others

The only one that sorta kinda comes close would be Sundara no? I mean still a bit of a stretch

Signature wise I would agree, but in terms of spatial recreation, reaction to amps, impact, dynamics, and presentation I might say the t1.2 is more similar in that regard imo

I mean both are neutral bright yes but don’t really share too much in common tbh

+1 agreed.

I’ve only had the t1.2 about a week but in terms of sound signature it’s not a dt880 upgrade but rather all together its own headphone. I see the t1.2 as having slightly boosted bass and subdued treble (for a beyer) and the dt880 having slightly subdued bass and boosted treble. Mids on both are pretty sweet and neutral. Soundstage width is a bit less on the t1.2 and detail retrieval takes a hit (or not as immediately apparent) in comparison as well probably due to its warm dark nature.

I went for the t1.2 because of its impedance and performance pairing with a tube amp. So if you decide to try a t1.2 you may just end up having two great headphones and a bigger collection instead of a replacement lol.

I also should mention I haven’t heard the t1.2 on the darkvoice (only on the bhc + speedball) so that could alter things as well.

I’ve heard but can’t confirm the sennheiser hd800(s) is somewhat similar to the dt880 so that way be worth looking into.

So the 880s have a little bit of a special place amongst the others?

I think this is important. They way the 880 presents the sound is awesome, so similaritys in that regard would be welcome. Really curious to try them now. Beyerdynamic germany has one in B-stock for 599 to sell right now. :sweat_smile: but no, i will not buy them now :joy:
The store near me sells them, so i will have the opportunity to try them as well as the 1990. They were on my list of things to try since i have the 880s.

I guess i would not sell the 880 either way. It was so cheap and is so good that it has its place in my collection and it has replaced my 6XX as my daily driver for now.
Since you mention the HD800, this is actually very interesting aswell. I have heard read about similaritys aswell, but i dont know since i havent heard it. I would love to try one, but i donÂŽt know where. I could order it and sent back if i dont like for sure.

3 Likes

Personally hard disagree on that one, it’s more similar to the t1.2 than the 800s (and as you note it’s really not a direct upgrade or super similar from the 880 lol)

1 Like

Ok, theres the answer!