šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

I get where you are coming from. I donā€™t plan to buy a pair since even with adorama deal, they donā€™t come as cheap with customs, shipment etc. It is more of a what if thing. And if I somehow end up with a pair, I would use it just to compare and see for myself.

Yeah the he6 variants are something that put control abilities of your amp on display and if it isnā€™t up to snuff, it really shows. Even 200wpc speaker amps only usually have a pull of 5-10w at the 64ohm HE6se v2 draw (64ohm tested, btw by ASR (who I absolutely detest) and me) and some headphone amps can make more wattage at that impedance but with quite a bit cleaner sound but with sacrificed dynamics from the lack of voltage swing speed that speaker amps have. Itā€™s a very fine balance that costs a lot of money to dive at blindly. I spent probably $50-70k buying and reselling speaker amps before just asking @M0N for a rec and the first one I tried from a rec list of his (admittedly not his first rec) but by the sound of it, it was what I was looking for and finally found a decent stopping point to move on to headphone amps and DACs lol. They really are a serious testing headphone and a phenomenal competitive shooter headphone. Better imaging by a decent amount than my HE1000se but not nearly the soundstage but itā€™s not a detriment in the scope of non BR scale shooters. Now, all this being said, 600ohm beyers seem to benefit from a lot of what does justice to he6 variants while not nearly as extreme. Itā€™s pretty crazy how far t1.2s and 880/990 600ihms can scale with some overkill amps. I still would like to get my hands on a 600ohm 770 some day or maybe make myself a t5 with a t1.2 driver that isnā€™t ear destroying sharp.

Iā€™m pretty sure you can still get the drivers direct from beyerdynamic or harvest a first gen mmx300. I rarely see the 600ohm 770s pop up for sale.

I have a DT770 600ohm with a small tear in the driverā€™s (paper?) material that I intend to swap someday. Iā€™m donā€™t think itā€™s audible but Iā€™d like to bring it back to pristine condition. I can confirm you can order them from beyer but they have limited stock and you must call the to find out if they have it available.

I think you can order the mmx300 manufaktur, you can pick between 32 or 600ohm drivers from Beyerdynamic EU.

2 Likes

The DT880 600ohm was my first higher grade headphone. Back then I had no clue what the ohms meant for headphones and just though ā€œhigher = betterā€. Just had a creative sound card with an built in amp.

Over all didnā€™t sound that good and I moved on. Later on when I got more in hifi I brought them out again and balanced modded them. Since then they are my favorite headphones. I have some much more expensive ones, but I rarely bring them out anymore.

DT880 600ohm :crown:

4 Likes

@DSpader Welcome to HGHF. I got mine several months ago and darn if they havenā€™t become my favorite as well! I add just a touch of eq (Loki Mini) to fill out the lower end, but the detail is amazing, as others have mentioned. Theyā€™ve been described as Beyerā€™s
ā€œlightning in a bottleā€ and I agree, IF you give them enough power. I use the Schiit Asgard 3 which smooths the treble just enough. Enjoy!

hey @MrAyrit Iā€™ve just seen your Topping A90 review and you mentioned you preferred DT880-DT990 600 Ohms on A90 more than your SA1 and bottlehead crack. Would you like to elaborate more here?

1 Like

Yeah @MrAyrit!
I used to have the thx789 with modius running my t1.2nd balanced. I used to like itā€¦ There was an amazing sense of speed, clarity, and dynamic range that caught my attention.
Iā€™m curious to try thx again with the BF2.
Using Soloist 3xp+BF2 T1.2nd rn.

Although I canā€™t comment on the 880s with an A90, the SA-1 didnā€™t power my balance-modded 880/990 600 Ohms. Full tilt/high gain, they were loud but didnā€™t deliver what these cans are capable of. Obviously, running any amp full tilt, you know itā€™s technically beyond itā€™s limit and unable to adequately control the drivers.

1 Like

Measurements in ASR show that powerwise A90 > SMSL SP400 > Singxer SA-1 and I kind of feel my SP400 is not as powerful as they market it to be, so I get what you mean. However Iā€™m sure you know there is a safety thingy in place in Singxer SA-1 to protect them from current fluctiaons etc. coming from DACs. If you disable it, things may change.

Iā€™m aware of the jumper mod. It only filters signal coming in from DACs. The issue with driving 600 Ohm cans is only in part due to power. As Wave Theory touches on above, itā€™s all also the design of the amplification circuit and the quality of the parts used - this impacts on whether they can deliver the power quick enough/control the drivers.

Singxerā€™s SA-1 sounds brilliant, but it canā€™t do really hard to drive cans.

Dekoni Choice Suede. Very comfortable surface and gives more space from driver - a much deeper pad that probably increases the clamp pressure, but given that theyā€™re cushy it is no problem. Feel warmer. Aesthetically, no match for the stock silvers.
Sonically, I am not sure - definitely thickens up the sound, like - a lot a lot. I did no A/Bā€™ing, this is old impressions. I think thereā€™s dramatically more bass bump and seems to have darkened things up a lot. Some are going to like the sound change a lot, not sure it is for my prefs.

If someone didnā€™t like the DT880 for the typical reasons, these pads are worth a shot (especially with B-Stock savings!)

1 Like

I second that. Although I ended up selling my pair of 880 600 ohms, this pads gave me some serious pause. The comfort is not bad with the original pads IMO but the Choice Suede is a big improvement. Also agree with sound changes, a little less treble and a more comfy mid-bass.

Nope. I switched back to stock. That these got the big Z seal of approval on this combo (and the non-EQ 8xx approval, pads I know I know) makes me understand better we might have pretty divergent sound signature prefies.

1 Like

I get it. At the end of the day, if youā€™re happy with your music, thatā€™s the more important IMO. For me the comfort upgrade is very worth it, and the change in sound (little darker, a little warmer) gives something special to that pair. If thatā€™s what your looking for, the Choice Suedeā€™s are solid. Of not, thatā€™s fine. The raw detail is probably better with the stock pads, and theyā€™re not uncomfortable per se.

Enjoy the music. :wink:

Hey everyone Iā€™m selling my mint condition, Limited edition Black DT 880 600 ohms for anyone interested.

I thought Iā€™d post here as they are super mint theyā€™ve been used twice the foam is stiff still as if it came from factory. Free shipping to Australia and international would have to be covered by any international buyers

Does anyone have an idea of what an up to date best amp pairing list would be for these? Iā€™ve read through most of the thread but itā€™s hard to get an idea of what people are using these days.
Currently I have the Little Dot MKII but feel like I want to step up from here. The Darkvoice does sound like just that from the impressions Iā€™ve seen of it.
Would it be worth getting an amp that costs more than the headphone though or should I just get better headphones?

edit: Thought I may as well compile a rough pairing list from my research as to not appear lazy
Liquid Spark - SS warm cheap
Asgard 3 - SS warm cheap
Dark Voice - OTL warm cheap
BHC - OTL warm expensive DIY
RNHP - SS neutral expensive
Liquid Platinum (balance modded) - hybrid warm and wide expensive
G111 - not sure of sound signature, SS powerful expensive
A20 - SS neutral expensive

I guess for me personally Iā€™d lean more towards a warm sound signature, but it would be good to get something that pairs well with higher tier headphones too.
Feel like Iā€™ve been researching too long and not purchased anything so now Iā€™m stuck unable to make any decisions :frowning_face:

G111 would be my pick single-ended - if you would like warm signature, controlled and robust bass, and treble thatā€™s a bit less spicy. It was a surprising change.

1 Like

Hmm the good ol depends :laughing:
What DAC are you using right now and do you have or plan to get more high ohm HP ( like zmf )
Because if you already have a decent chain I would go for otl tube (336 to get an idea or a crack if you want something bit better and are good with building it ) otherwise an Asgard is the safe choise and a spark the budget solution for warmer SS

1 Like