šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Welcome to HiFi Guides!!
Thatā€™s a pretty neat setup you have. Sounds like you are really enjoying it!!

Iā€™m considering on grabbing the DT880 600ohm for gaming and music, however I am treble sensitive but was wanting to pair them with the liquid spark. I know the LS will help to lessen the treble and make it easier on treble sensitive people, but does the DT880 600ohm still retain the detail, soundstage, imaging, etc. with the LS? I just donā€™t want to muddy the sound/ruin technicalities, and I have a tight budget currently. Any other recommendations for under $200 on an amp or amp/DAC are appreciated!

DT880 600ohm can be tricky for the treble sensitive. It has a sharp spike at 10K.
3 years ago it trigger some bad tinnitus for me, granted I was playing them too loud.
For me the only thing that helped was the Dekoni suede pads, however they do change the overall character of them a lot.

maybe check Zeosā€™ video on dekoni pads for the Beyer range. They greatly change the sound.
I couldnā€™t tell you off the top of my head if they affect treble though, I wasnā€™t focused on that with my pair.

@Roknar, what were you guys running yours off of amp wise? I have a Fulla E right now and I know that wonā€™t even remotely manage to give the dt880 600 ohms what they need.

zen stack in my case. (with an fx audio mini tube preamp)
As to bringing out their potential I canā€™t say. Noticed today that Zeos ran the DT880 600 ohms on the drop version but in single ended, and he compared the balanced output to the emotiva, soā€¦ I guess at the very least it must be close to the potential.

I like the sound but I canā€™t say I am blown away like some people, but that could be just me. Itā€™s not like I have a ton of references to go on.

The fulla is a nice little combo, but def not for demanding headphones.
Asgard 3 and Darkvoice. Even with those amps, for me that 10K peak is rough

1 Like

I have been interested in the dark voice. How did the suede affect the imaging and separation? Iā€™m watching Zeosā€™s video and it seems like it boosts the bass substantially, which may interfere with gaming (that would be my main use of the headphone) since I play competitive games. I know they are bass light stock, so maybe it wouldnā€™t be as much as Iā€™m thinking

The increase in bass has some negative impact on imaging but even so they still image better than most. Ive used them for FPS(casual gamer) and theyre still on point. The pads give it a lushness that makes them morenenjoyable than in super dry stock form. Darkvoice is a fun amp. Good with the dt800 but even better with 6xx

I would stop you right there then. The DT880 is a great headphone but if you are treble sensitive they will hurt.

For gaming and music, I would recommend you check out the TYGR300; Iā€™m fairly treble sensitive also and they give me no issues while being great for gaming and music. Fantastic imaging.

1 Like

Falenkor had this to say on the pads:

I wasnā€™t paying attention to imaging so much but the suedes really darkened the sound overall. I donā€™t remember it doing anything in that regard at least, though the darkening would give the impression of less resolution. I didnā€™t like it that much initially but I eventually stuck with it. They were the most comfortable, the leather pads got too hot for me.

On the other hand that same darkening would probably take the edge of that treble.

2 Likes

My brother in law has a pair and while I did enjoy the imaging and sound signature, it felt too damped/muffled for my liking. I donā€™t know why I felt that way, but I wasnā€™t catching/getting the soundstage that everyone raved about. I have a pair of modded SHP 9500s and love how open they sound.

1 Like

Question for those with piles of gear. Has anybody tried adding the dbx goRack to the DT880s?
Wondering if that might help adding some body to the otherwise clean bass.