Beyerdynamic dt990 pro amp and dac stack

Could you point me in the right direction to see where i can get the amp for cheaper. Also thank you so much for your help really appreciate it.

looks like your looking for a warm sound step up from g6? G6 is a pretty bad unit in all honesty… it has power, but in terms of sound quality its very very poor. Many amps at $100 will best that one… I agree with rice here that the liquid spark stack is very good for the 990s… it rolls that treble and adds quite a lot of warmth to the lows and mids really filling it in and maintaining a very good sound and synergy with the 990. If you feel the 990s are too bright I would recommend switching the 250 ohm to the 600 ohm as that has a more refined sound with less treble issues. Xduoo Ta-10 is nice as well, hybrid tubes still leaning warm not bad at all really that would be nice, if you wanted straight tubes… dark voice would be alright, and if you wanted a class A amp I would definitely say something like the Asgard or maybe an ifi zen can stack if your a bit of a bass fan.

put simply though, upgrading past that g6 won’t be difficult for you… but it will also depend on if your ears can perceive most of the differences… keeping in mind that also things such as youtube already have low quality, compression, and distortion so that’s not really a good example between units… you’d want flac/lossless to sit down and listen with

if your searching for cheaper, I would recommend digging around the used markets or placing ads up for what your looking for on said markets… these markets include Reddit Avexchange, Hifiguides here in the buy/sell looking for thread, head-fi in their respective trading tabs, and for most other places you can just use hifishark to scour the web for them. Just please remember to stay safe if buying third party… make sure to use something such as paypal that offers protections… request pictures of the product to show the condition and proof of ownership(such as a placard with their username, date, etc). Paypal lets you do invoices like a bill of sorts… if said deal doesn’t work out or the guy is trying something shady paypal protects its people with a money guarantee protection policy

1 Like

I buy my music from qobuz and are all in flac except for one album that i have in wav. I’ll try the thread here on the forum. Also does the darkvoivlce have a dac or is it just an amp.

just an amp, as is the asgard.

Darkvoice is a straight Tube amp but it pairs really well with the higher ohm beyers

The darkvoice and the ta-10 are really similarly priced what would you recommend. Also could the g6 be used with the darkvoice as its dac? Can you direct me to the buying thread here on the forum

Depends what your looking for… darkvoice has that wetter very tube like sound and ta-10 is a hybrid but sounds a bit more solid state… can’t go wrong with either imo.

I don’t see why not but you’d need a special set of cables for that… darkvoice there only has rca ports in the back. Also, noticing you mentioned speakers… the darkvoice does not have a preamp port in the back like something such as liquid spark for speakers.

Thank you i see that on drop the ta-10r the newer model is 270.

I checked the drop website and they have the xduoo ta-10r the new model for 270. Do you think that the pairing of the 990s and the ta-10r are a good match for the music of the carpenters?

The TA10 is a dac amp combo. And it’s got everything except optical. I’d recommend a smooth amp in general for the DT 990 250 ohm anything Class A recommended or tubes

So is ta-10 a good choice if not what else would you recommend thats class A and at that same price point.

1 Like

I prefer smooth and warm but agreed. I think smooth goes well with it.

I do to an extent but this goes by preference really.

1 Like

Definitely a great choice. Provides a ton of power which those DT990’s will need. Just cause the class A’s are smooth and rich doesn’t mean they aren’t detialed too just a side note.

Definitely for the carpenters this would be a good match. I’ll link some other class A amps

1 Like

Hey can you link some other class A amps in the same price range as the xduoo ta-10r. Also do you know if there are sales around the time of the 4th of july as it is my birthday and that is most likely when I’ll pull the trigger on something like this.

1 Like

Just be careful not to assume that just because something is Class A that it’s going to sound a certain way. There’s a lot of generalization around ‘tube sound’, ‘class a sound’, etc. that can be a bit misleading, as both tubes and class A can also sound bright and harsh like many might associate with class D and visa versa. Topology by itself doesn’t dictate how an amp sounds, just like the DS chip in a DAC by itself doesn’t dictate how the DAC sounds. It’s all about implementation.

That said, some warmer and smoother amps in the price range of the TA-10® or lower to pair with a DT990 could include Schiit Magni 3+, Liquid Spark, Schiit Asgard 3, Lake People G103s, and some others I may not be thinking of at the moment…perhaps some of the Drop Cavalli stuff like Liquid Carbon X and Cavalli Tube Hybrid.

I wish there was a way that i could try them before purchasing but i guess i can’t. Can the ta-10r be smooth and warm also I’ll look into the others you mentioned.

I really haven’t heard as much about the TA-10r, so I can’t really give much guidance there.

Im leaning towards it but again if there is a way to listen to it do you know?

Wish I could help you out, but no. There’s still not a lot going on for audio gear meets/swaps that I’ve heard of, and I’ve never seen Xduoo in-store anywhere.

Have you used the 990s? If you could can you provide screenshots of what you use. There are only a few reviews on the ta-10r. I for sure can’t afford the ta-30 or anything in that range. I appreciate all your help.

I’ve had both the DT880 and DT770 both in 600ohm form, but not DT990. My current amps are not in the range you’re looking for, so I’m afraid that wouldn’t help much, but many here have used the amps previously mentioned with good results.