đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen3

Guess they just saw this as the better direction for the T1? Dunno, I agree I would have preferred it to be a seperate headphone instead of a revision

I know that I’m just saying I would pay them $700 or whatever for the 2nd gen but now since they discontinued it and replaced it with a different sounding model they won’t get any of my money. I’m sure the business dudes there would know better than I would, just frustrating is all.

Haven’t read 2nd gen being discontinued just yet but it is sold out so it’s likely. Though the 2nd gen definitely isn’t going to just disappear off the market or anything. While I don’t completely agree with a revision I am alright with another beyer headphone coming out with a warmer signature.

If anything I see the T1.2’s price going down provided the 3rd generation reviews and sells well.

The German Beyerdynamic website says “abverkauf” ( means they sold all the left T1.2 they had), so i guess they will not produce it anymore.

I have just snacked a T1.2 for a good price on ebay. 2 Years old, mostly not used it seems and perfect condition. Had to buy it.

3 Likes

Lame. It was already decided but I will be keeping my 1.2’s forever.

No 1880 and now no 600 ohm flagship. I don’t think I’m beyerdynamic’s target consumer :man_shrugging:

1880 would have been very cool. I guess their target is mostly studio
and more and more consumer products because you can probably make more money there. Who knows.
Im so curious about the T1.2 now. Nice that you have already decided to keep them forever. I hope to get these feelings aswell with it.

They’re great imo. I think I’ve left some impressions above. Look forward to your thoughts :+1:

Yep ive read it. I will share my thoughts as soon as i can :slight_smile:

1 Like

would this really make sense though? Thought the point of DT 1990 with it’s A pads was to be extremely similar to that of the 880 meanwhile B pads are similar to that of the 990. T1 is that weird in between headphone.

Yeah, Not sure I agree with the leaving of the 600 ohm either. Not particularly a big fan of the low ohm beyers to begin with. Would have been nice to see a 600 ohm DT 1990, I guess an 1880 would be interesting but not sure if necessary, though I would have just left the T1 alone and made this new warm headphone a seperate headphone entirely just for those looking for a less bright option but like the brand would make more sense in my opinion.

This is rather unfortunate. Prices are going to jump drastically for a while then on the T1.2

In the same boat here with the T1.2, I don’t see at all in the forseeable future getting rid of these. However, I just recently sat down with Philips new x3 which caught me off guard on how similar it was to the T1. Definitely nothing so far that will replace my T1.

I’ve read varying opinions to this effect so I decided to skip the mid tier Beyers but maybe in the future I’ll have a listen for myself.

What do you propose the benefit would be here? is the 1990 lacking? Does it take well to tubes given it’s 250 ohm?

It’s a little peaky, can be seen as slightly grainy, could use a bit more fullness to the low end.

Yeah, it takes well to tubes actually. I feel a 600 ohm variation with some smoothing and refinement would be a nice addition to the 1990. Granted comparing the T1 to 1990 they are quite different and 1990 is a hell of a lot more aggressive.

1 Like

This is always what gives me pause lol peaky and aggressive aren’t things I desire tbh. I don’t find that to describe the 880 (paired with a tube amp) at all.

But like I say maybe one day I’ll give them a shot but I’m more than content for the time being with the two models I own.

That said if an 1880 became a thing I’d be grabbing it lol

2 Likes

For me, it was a bit of a toss up. 880 isn’t as aggressive to my ear as the 1990 at the same time I thought the 880 sounded very hollow despite all the detail and comfort. 990 sounds nice too but it has that aggression and is so bright it gets fatiguing fast and 770 was just kind of all over the place and I found some sibilance in it.

T1 is more relaxed it’s a center point between the 880 and 990 which is what I like about it. The bass is better and more filled out raised but not overly done and sounds rounded off, mids are there and don’t sound recessed actually they sound slightly raised, and the highs are very nice and smoothed out. That paired to it’s wide soundstage that’s bigger than the 1990 is quite nice.

1990 has much more aggression and intimacy, soundstage is smaller than T1, the treble is peakier and less smoothed out, the mids can either sound relatively neutral or become recessed depending which pads your using, the bass isn’t as raised and just sounds relatively neutral less using B pads which then it becomes quite bassy but seems to lack a little in my opinion however, the bass for the 1990 is much more impactful and has a planar-like slam to it. 1990 is much more revealing and unforgiving of a headphone than the T1 which is a headphone I feel you can lay back and relax a bit too.

I think personally, since I have tried pretty much beyers entire lineup. T1.2 is probably the best sounding unless your actually using them for studio use in which case that revealing analytical aggressive nature of the 1990 may be more ideal. As someone who just uses it for regular listening / gaming the T1.2 is superb and has more scaling with different amps
 it’s sound changes quite a bit more than the 1990 and it responds better to tubes.

This review makes me want the t5.3

Hmm, removing that airy large soundstage and beyer house sound treble is confusing. Granted when I had the T5P I did think it had some treble issues like a higher grade closed back DT 990. While I am glad to read a review stating they corrected the treble it sounds like it may have been a bit too much and the reduction of soundstage I am not a big fan of so it wouldn’t cater to me personally as I prefer beyers large soundstage. Especially considering that 177x GO exists, not quite sure if this is the right direction. Probably not a headphone I will grab personally.

So reading this and going back to the original point I think an 1880 would certainly have a place. I imagine it having a very wide soundstage, neutral to arguable bass light, fuller mids, smoother more rounded treble
 you’re making my case for the lane for the 1880 for me lol

2 Likes

But that’s what they did for the T1 outside of being bass light which technically it sort of is as it’s not a really heavy impactful and deep striking bass.

1990 and T1 are kind of like opposites to one another. relaxed vs aggressive, slam vs rounded, full mids vs neutral / recessed, peaky vs smoothed treble

I think this is important tbh and helps gives the 880 the lighter more airy feel to it than the t1. I also think the 880 is wider contributing to what I’m calling airy (hopefully you get what I’m trying to say by that lol).

Open sounding may be a better term for it
 kinda like a Grado

Yeah, I am pretty sure I know what you mean there. I suppose it would be interesting but from a marketing standpoint I would assume beyer believes it to be rather unecessary(or they have something up their sleeve since they are over here changing the T1’s signature).

I would assume since 1990 is met with extremely good reviews and results and potentially sells more units they believe the T1 needed some changes. The biggest complaints I seen on T1 was either it’s too bright or the 600 ohms is too demanding for regular consumer use which probably contributed to the changes here.

Edit: as for the T5P well, that one should be pretty obvious. That is one headphone I won’t bother with
 closed backs of that brightness level I will never remotely consider using. Glad to see they resolved it but I hope it wasn’t overkill

Yep, that’s a thing. I can thank my buddy for this one. So I guess this will be in my collection less I just don’t like the headphone

For the record, That’s the first headphone in my collection now within this price bracket. Going to be interesting to say the least.

3 Likes