đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R

Yea np.

I think the vocals are slightly a bit more forward being they are a tad warmer.

Sound stage, if it changed then maybe it is slightly less, but not drastically different. It’s still very good.
Imaging still is still as good as it was before from what I am hearing.

I think it works. Basically you get a bit more comfort and just a bit more warmth is all I am detecting.

1 Like

Great to hear and thanks again.
If anyone else has a different opinion, please don’t be shy and share it :wink:

Dekoni Elite Fenestrated. It’s the other option other than the Elite Velours that doesn’t drastically change the sound on most beyers. I’d probably try the velours before I spend more for the fenestrated due to price. Personally, I use fenestrated because I already had an extra pair on hand.

no I agree with him
 it does warm up the vocals and overall signature with just a touch less in the treble presence. Very close to stock

2 Likes

So I got the Velour pads today and I while I like them a lot I wonder whether the fenestrated sheepskin pads might be a little more comfortable.
I got the Elite Sheepskin pads for my 770 and they are godlike if it comes to comfort, however how do the Elite Fenestrated change the sound signature of the Tygr’s?
What’s the difference between the Velours / fenestrated?
Thanks guys :smiley:

Hello. I am considering the Earmen Tr-amp for the Tygr. Is this a good option? Or is Topping stack L30/E30 or maybe one of the iFis better? I read about Schiit too but they are too expensive. Can someone give advice please?

i haven’t read the whole thread (yet), so sorry for possibly repeating.

having tested the DT990, DT880 (Black SE) and the Tygr side by side i decided to keep the Tygr for both music and gaming. mostly because, eventhough the DT880 Black SE sounded clear and warm (possibly warmer due to black pads), it still had this thing where the cymbals on most songs sounded just wrong. so it was more fo a sound thing than a fatigue thing for me in terms of treble.

so here is my actual question: did anyone in here, that owns both Tygr and DT880, ever try the Tygr ear pads (including treble dampening inside) on the DT880? seeing how much this change made me love the Tygr, i was wondering, if that “mod” would turn the DT880 into actually flat more balanced headphones. i loved the mids and bass (at least the bass was no deal breaker) on them but the way treble was lifted made mixes sound weird with cymbals and similar stuff way too far in the foreground.

so in short: do Tygr ear pads with extra treble dampening turn DT880 into flat beyers or will they just make them bad losing their main advantage, airiness, that was possibly only achieved though hyped treble?

Got the new Dekoni Choice Leather Headband in yesterday. The difference in comfort between it and the stock Beyerdynamic headband is incredible. It is so much softer than the Beyer pleather headband, which occasionally created pressure points on my head.

just did a tygr mod for my 990 swapping the pads for tygr pads and tuning foam gotta say I kinda hhate the changes. the pads brought in. the tuning foam did what I needed slightly elevated the subbass killed the mid bass a small amount and took care of most of the treble. the tygr pads kills the mid bass I found and really disliked how they sounded it soundided thinner overall. the tygr pads are different from the 990 v pads they are stiffer and less spongy, they are not quite 770 pads stiff its like an in between it seems like it can flatten out like 990 pads so I might mess with them and intentionally flatten the pads using my 770’s and yoga blocks to see if flatenning the pads improves the sound

Wait really? I didn’t even know about this - might have to snag one.

The X2HR was going for relatively cheap (there are still about 7 in stock for 100 GBP on Amazon UK) so I thought “what the heck” and got a pair. I’ve seen many ask for comparisons with the TYGR (as did I at one time) so I thought I’d share my take after a little bit of listening.

The main things I notice quite clearly: the X2HR has a much narrower soundstage with less separation. But in return, bass and vocals are much more forward. There is definitely louder bass which has more grunt. The bass quality seems about the same or possibly lower than that of TYGR but you get a lot more of it.

In terms of treble clarity and overall detail, the TYGR definitely wins. Same for imaging. The fact that things are better separated with the TYGR means it’s easier to pick things out. I can definitely see the TYGR being better for FPS shooters and the like. In fact, I played a few games of Splatoon 2 and found that I could pick out sounds much easier on the TYGR. Heck, I feel like I can pick out sounds easier on the SHP9500 than the X2HR. Edit: I want to emphasise on this a bit more - the X2HR can sound pretty congested at times due to the narrower soundstage and worse separation.

I have mixed feelings about the X2HR overall - I feel like it can be more engaging/intimate due to the smaller soundstage, but I feel so closed in compared to the TYGR. I always hear people say the soundstage on the X2HR is wide, but I certainly don’t agree with that. I did find myself headbanging and enjoying some of my songs due to the elevated bass and vocal forwardness, but I’m not sure it’s worth tolerating the reduction in soundstage.

On the other hand, the the X2HR is relatively inoffensive without any EQ. It has this darker tonality and some unevenness in the treble, but nothing too bad. The TYGR, however, requires some EQ (for my personal preferences) before I feel okay with it.

Probably will spend more time with the X2HR before deciding if I want to return it, but honestly don’t know if I can find a use case for it. At least in terms of the things I don’t wish to compromise on, the TYGR does pretty much everything better than the X2HR. And in the areas where the TYGR doesn’t do as well, I can fix it somewhat with EQ.

2 Likes

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-choice-series-replacement-headband-for-beyerdynamic-headphones/

they did a pretty lowkey release in February

1 Like

Awesome - I’m in for the suede version!

1 Like

The suede is super comfy. I tried them on the TYGR it was great.

I ended up added it to my Grado Hemp and it is the most comfortable headphone I own now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Headband came in today! Got the suede version. Yeah, I’d say this is definitely an upgrade; very comfy. Looks good too.

2 Likes

Love the headband I got another threw it on the 1990 lol. Wish I could swap my t1 headband

2 Likes

@givemebeer Thinking about picking up a pair of the Fenestrated Sheep Skin Pads for the Tygr’s. How do you like them and do they change the sound of them?

I like them. And yes, the definitely change the sound a bit. Most noticeably by depleting some of the bass intrusion into the lower mids.

Beyerdynamic DT1990 Measurements - Dekoni Audio is for the 1990s but the third and fourth charts have both sets do a better job illustrating the differences in pads than any description I can give without resorting to the audiophile cliché handbook and telling you nothing of substance.

That being said, I needed another set of beyer pads and picked up some Elite Velours and tossed them on the TYGR to see the difference and I like them too. I have no idea which set of pads will end up on them in the end because I like both.

@givemebeer so you would say the Fenestrated Sheep Skin Pads are an improvement over the stock pads? Also, how would you say the Elite Velour pads alter the sound signature?

In comfort, absolutely. As far as sound, it’s all down to personal preference. Zeos, for example, preferred them over the other Dekoni pads mainly due to them being “more coherent” and having “better bass”.

As close to stock as you can get while getting more distance between your ear and the driver than the stock VB990 pads.

If you’re happy with the comfort of the stock pads, I wouldn’t bother swapping.