Cal's Corner Store - I like Bass

I just saw that video and it was cool to see the Meteor on that list! I would love to try the Gran Maestro at some point. Also the fact that that got bumped above the Storm is very interesting…

2 Likes

:+1:

(pst you might want to put links to your reviews here (first post or 2) so it is easier to find.)

2 Likes

I didn’t get the chance to play around with the GM too much but I do remember them being ridiculously balanced in the setting I heard them in at CanJam. I’d be so down to play around with all the different settings it’s capable of. Seems like a beast of a set.

2 Likes

Good call! Ill add that to my second post

2 Likes

Yes. But not for old or classic records! Otherwise, for metal they are 9.5/10. Having owned several mid-centric kits, I think the IE600 is better for metal than them (and technically). Some may think that guitars lack bite, but this is not the case. They have a good bite but aren’t in your face so it’s not tiring listening.
They are hard to recommend because people listening to metal want more emphasis in the middle! :wink: :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

LETSHUOER EJ07M (Resin) Review - Str8 Shooter

Sound Profile
Neutral with a bass boost. The bass boost inches into mid bass but mainly stays in the sub region while the rest of the FR stays relatively neutral with no noticeable peaks or elevations elsewhere. This set leans towards the musicality over a clinical tonality like the IE600 would.

Overview

It’s starting to seem par for the course but I would not pay full price for this IEM. With the deals that you can find on AliX during various yearly sales you can snag an EJ07M for closer to $500 which isn’t unreasonable but then you got to add another almost $200 for reshelling on top of that, putting the best you can get this new at around $700. At that price there are few things it should do better. Specifically, there is a very slight haze around the edges of notes which can get distracting depending on the tips you use. Speaking of tips, this is one of the most tip dependent sets I have ever used. For most sets I find tips make very slight differences in the sound quality of the set, either changing the stage or boosting/reducing bass ever so slightly. With this set I have had tips that change the sound so much it sounds like a different IEM. This is a double edge sword because it was hard for me to find a tip that really clicked with me but it does give you a bunch of flexibility. Want a really clear and open stage, use Tri Clarions (bass gets tightened but reduced). Want something that brings the ruckus? Use some foams or Final Es. I found AET08s to be a good compromise albeit a compromise none-the-less. The tip I landed on though was the AliX TS400s (shoutout to @JAnonymous5150 for the rec!). They give me the openness of a wide bore tip and reduce the haze so it’s barely noticeable while giving me great isolation and bass. The only downside is that they are foam and thus will eventually wear out. Lastly, I need to talk about driver flex. I have really bad driver flex on this set. It’s a known thing with the EJ series but evening with knowing it was a thing I was still very bummed to experience it. Some tips do better than others and I never got any flex when using it (only putting them in) however foam tips don’t cause any driver flex so that’s a win I guess. So having said all that, what’s my overall opinion? These are a great all around set and I can enjoy my whole library with them (once I found the right tips). They will probably be my everyday set and I’ll leave the IE600 for critical listening and the Legato for when I just want to jam to rap/

Details

Treble

Treble is well extended without being boosted. I don’t feel there is any masking or dullness in the treble and it’s quite lively. I mentioned this above but there is a bit of hazing around the edges of notes in the upper registers. Tips can exacerbate or resolve the issue so roll accordingly. With the right tips the stage is very expansive and holographic. I used to not really understand that term until I heard this set. I will say if you are looking for a detail monster this is not for you though.

Midrange

Mid range stays clean thanks to the bass tuck although it’s not as clean as something like the IE600. There is a sense of reverb that colors vocals however I don’t notice it much on instruments. If you are looking for a super realistic “they are right in front of you” experience I would look elsewhere. On top of that there is a slight haze to the edge of notes that again is much more noticeable in vocals than instruments. These two things color the replay and add a good sense of musicality which I appreciate.
Vocals are forward and good weight to them without being warm and intimate. I found vocal replay to be very tip dependent and with narrow bore tips they had a tendency to become more hazy. Wide bore tips were a necessity to get the best vocal quality.

Instrument replay was less impacted by tip changes. Instruments sound natural with very good separation and space. The very wide stage helps with being able to pick out each instrument and notes have clearly defined edges. On “Southside of Heaven” by Ryan Bingham it’s hard not to notice how clean and on point the acoustic guitar is. There is a sense of pressure that is accurately conveyed on the lower notes that is lacking on a lot of other sets. You can hear what sounds like a cabasa faintly to the left and almost behind you but it’s so clear that I can actually picture the player playing it.

Mid bass

This is not a mid centric IEM and is definitely sub over mid so if you are a mid head and love mid bass I would move past this set. Having said that, I don’t feel like there is a void where the mid bass should be. There is good snap and kick from bass and electronic drums. It’s quick and well textured and honestly he whole bass section is really high quality. You will get a good face full of mid bass on songs that boost those frequencies. The quality is definitely there, it just won’t come out on most tracks in my library since my library is more sub bass focused.

Sub bass

Oh the sub bass! This is some of the best quality bass I have heard. Its goldilocks sub bass where it’s not too loose to the point of being flabby but not so fast and tight to the point that it feels like a punch instead of a rumble. There is really good texture and a wetness to it that is really addicting. As you may know I love my bass so I would prefer maybe 3-5db more of this goodness however for the rest of the FR the bass quantity is really well situated and doesn’t throw off the tonal balance. I will say quantity is hugely impacted by tips. Tri Clarions reduce the quantity substantially whereas FAudio Instrument and Final E tips give you a boost. The hard part is finding a tip that give you a boost in the bass while still being open for vocals.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for songs in each set and is therefore very subjective.

Pop - 8/10
R&B - 8/10
Latin - 8/10
Rap - 8/10
Hip Hop - 8/10
House/EDM - 8/10
Country - 8/10

12 Likes

Well said Cal!

My pick for best all-rounder at $500 for a reason :smirk:

5 Likes

Daaaaamn, 8s across the board - that is as solid as solid can be. Amazing write up, Cal, thanks for sharing brother :handshake:

3 Likes

Killed this set for me, same goes for Canon which I still find to be a very impressive set for slightly different tastes to mine.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s a great set once I got the right tips on there. I would definitely score some genres lower depending on what tips on there.

I just remembered you had a resin EJ07M right? knowing your preferences it makes sense these didnt jive with you. I can get down on sets with more midbass but vocals def take a hit and 95% of my library is vocal focused.

2 Likes

Ahhh, the great art of tip rolling. Yes, the never ending struggle that it is. It can be fun, but sometimes, really frustrating so I know the feeling. Glad you found the right ones, brother :handshake:

1 Like

64Audio U4s: Big Poppa

Sound Profile

MX module: Neutral
M12 module: Warm neutral
M15/M20 module: warm neutral with bass boost

Overview

The U4s needs no introduction. The newest offering from 64 Audio has been getting rave reviews since it was introduced several months ago. So when I got the chance to listen to them I was super excited. I really didn’t know what to expect though since my only other experience with 64 Audio was the U6t which was very forgettable for me. Also the graph for the U4s is pretty unique, sporting a similar upper mid region to the U12t.

So how does it sound? TL;DR really really good…. With the M12 module. The other modules don’t really do much for me. The M15 and M20 make the IEM too thick, bordering on muddy. The MX module is actually pretty good but it’s also loses so much bottom end that songs with drums feel hollow. The M12 strikes the perfect balance of meaty mid bass, present sub bass and smooth clear vocals. This IEM is definitely not for folks who like an airy, open presentation though. While the imaging is really good, the stage is a bit cramped. At times it can come off claustrophobic, especially with songs that are already mixed pretty intimately and have vocals in the lower registers.

Is it worth it? At $1,100 it is not worth it for me. While the sound quality is great the fit I do not like. The nozzle is long and just a smooth shaft (I know) so tip fit is tricky. Also there is no contouring so it has a tendency to rotate under the cable weight. Using a lighter cable should alleviate that though. It has the same fit as other 64 Audio offerings so if those work for you these will as well. I appreciate the flexibility of the Apex modules however they don’t substantially change the IEM outside of “more bass” or “less bass”. Even with the MX module, the IEM is still not particularly airy and open, however it is definitely more spacious than with the M20. If you are thinking this IEM is a “chameleon” style and is 4 IEMs in one I would temper that expectation.

Details

Note: The rest of this review will be with the M12 because I think that one sounds best.

Treble

Treble is smooth and very well extended. I notice no peakiness or harshness. While it’s not very airy or open, notes have that little bit of top end that they need to sound natural. Vocals in the upper register and instruments that rely on upper frequencies will sound a bit dull, lacking that extra bit of shimmer.

Midrange

Mids are rich and luscious without coming off overly warm and husky. There is noticeable coloration here so if you are looking for something transparent and “accurate” I would look elsewhere. For bigger ensembles with a lot of distortion and drums things can get a bit claustrophobic. It’s a hard balance to strike because on some cleaner sets these same tracks can sound a bit lifeless.

Mid bass

This is a mid bass set, no doubt about that. Mid bass kicks have authority without taking over the mix. There is nothing boomy or bloated here. The mid bass here is very flexible. When called upon it can punch fast and hard and get out of the way. However, its not above a slow roll that lingers. All in all, one of the best mid bass experiences I have heard to date.

Sub bass

In most mid bass sets you get a rolled off sub to really emphasis the mid bass, however here the sub bass stays relatively in line with the mid bass and it works really well in tandem with the mid bass. The sub bass helps prop up the mid bass and boost its impact. It’s like adding wind to fire. For sub bass focused genres like some Rap and EDM the sub bass pops pretty well, even for the M12 module. I personally prefer a bit more sub bass for those genres but I didn’t feel the need to EQ here like I normally do. Unfortunately, going up to the M15 and M20 brings too much mid bass with it and messes with other genres.

Genres
Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for some songs that fall in each category and is therefore very subjective and may not represent the category as a whole. If you have any questions as to what songs I listened to for each category feel free to ask!

For this set I’ll do the ratings for M12/M15. I ignore M20 because the M15 does pretty much everything the M20 does but better.
Pop - 8/6
Rap - 7/8
Hip Hop -7/7
R&B - 9/8
Latin - 8/7
House/EDM - 7/8
Country - 8/7

9 Likes

Moondrop Blessing 3: Living on a prayer

Sound Profile

neutral

Overview

Moondrop dropped the ball on this set, full stop. It has a bunch of potential and for those looking for a low volume set with good technicalities, you might be happy with this set but I cannot recommend it in any fashion because I believe its a money grab to later push out a “Dusk” version that will actually bring out the best out of this set. In short, the bass quality with the 2DDs is there and with a bit of EQ this set becomes really really good but without it it just feels empty. Bass is barely existant unless you have a track with really elevated bass.

Details

Treble/Technicalities

Good air and good to okay imaging. Might be a little harsh if you are treble sensitive and pump up the volume to get some bass but at normal volumes details come through really well. Stage isn’t particularly special, everything feels pretty in front and not particularly wide or deep

Midrange

Mids are clean and vocals come through accurately. Not too forward and not to recessed. I actually like the placement and replay of vocals on this set and it has the potential to be a killer vocal set. Some Instruments can lack the bite needed to sound authoritative and authentic and same with vocals that hit the low registers.

Mid bass

What mid bass? But seriously, there is a hint of potential in the mid bass. Kick drums have a faint thump however it’s so subdued it’s hard to get much texture out of it. Bass hits on hip hop tracks are more noticeable and have a nice mellow natural to them. There is good tactility there and its a very clean hit, not loose or flabby.

Sub bass

Ha ha ha. There is some rumble in the sub on certain rap and dem tracks but that can push air but its not enough to get feel the emotion of those tracks. Outside of tracks that really boost those frequencies good luck finding any sub bass.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for some songs that fall in each category and is therefore very subjective and may not represent the category as a whole. If you have any questions as to what songs I listened to for each category feel free to ask!

Pop - 7
Rap - 5
Hip Hop - 6
R&B - 7
Latin - 7
House/EDM - 6
Country - 8

7 Likes

Yeah, the dusk thing with the Blessing series is one of the worst things that have happened for Moondrop imo. Why? because it means they are gonna likely have to deliberately make one model worse to sell the other one. (Like how Sony removed the super tweeter in the M7 to sell the M9 with it for a few hundred dollars more…)

4 Likes

So I have been fortunate enough to be in a tour group with a few members here and got to listen to the latest haul from @MMag05 @GooberBM and @VIVIDICI_111. There are so many sets though that not all will get write ups so I will be working towards dropping short “10 minute” impressions on the sets that didn’t quite resonate with me enough to warrant a full write up.

Also, @Leonarfd I ended up getting that Aure that was in the classifieds a week or two ago and I love it! From looking at HeadFi you seem to have a good intersection of sets across our tour group and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Aure compared to the Aurora!

8 Likes

Here is a quick set of impressions. If anyone would like me to A/B any sets I have on hand or give more detail about some aspect lmk and I’ll try to find the time.

Number rating

1/5 - Took it out pretty immediately. It wasn’t particularly pleasant
2/5 - It’s meh, I didn’t want to listen to more than a song or two with it.
3/5 - It’s not bad but not my preference. Could work for some genres but overall I have heard better for those genres.
4/5 - I liked it even though it was lacking a few things. I would like to listen to it more and it fits my preferences. Works for a handful of genres I listen to.
5/5 - Really good. Like surprisingly good. Possibly missing a few things that could be solved with tip rolling. I could definitely seeing this set in the rotation and works for most of the genres I listen to.

Impressions

• Project Red - 2/5: Overall it was a meh for me. The Vocals sound off, like they are missing something key but I can’t quite put my finger on it. I got nothing really special from the set and fit wasn’t great so I won’t be giving it much more time.

• Tripowin Piccolo - 2/5: Well tuned although not the most resolving. Gives me that “listening through speakers” experience as opposed to other sets which give me the impression I am in the room where the music is being played.

• Kiwi Ears Dolce - 1/5 : Not a fan of the tuning. I didn’t give it a whole lot of time so its hard to describe in detail but it sounded wonky to me. Similar “listening through speakers” experience.

• Simgot EW100 - 4/5: Very surprised and how good this set sounds. While it didn’t stand out, it was one of the few sets where I could just put them in and enjoy the music. Pretty resolving for the price and didn’t give me much of a “listening through speakers” experience which was nice. Will be getting more listening time and a review if I have time.

• Kiwi Ears Quartet - 2/5: good midbass quantity but results in an overall muddy experience that I couldn’t get behind. That was with the treble switch up too. After that I didnt bother trying the other settings.

• Aful Performer5 - 4/5: Overall enjoyable tuning. Full bodied with forward vocals. The bass quality is a little lacking but quantity works well with the overall tuning. Nothing really stands out though and I don’t get any special sauce.

• ISN EST50 - 3/5: Warm, bassy and boomy. Treble is definitely on the darker side and vocals can be muddy depending on the track. This set works best with rap imo but even though there are better alternatives for a bass set for cheaper. Fit is top notch though, I gotta give it to ISN for that. Will probably not do a full write up on this one.

• Tri Kai - 4/5: Bass is the main event here and it is good quality for the price. I respect that even with the bass being elevated through mid bass and even into the mids it doesn’t muddy them. Presentation is pretty intimate and warm with good treble extension. Overall a good relaxing listen. You definitely aren’t getting this set for its technical prowess but if you like darker treble with some good bass and forward vocals its hard to beat at that price (out of the sets I hard so far). Personally I would take this over the EST50, though, mainly because the tuning is more my preference.

• Tri Starsea - 5/5: It shocks me how overlooked this one is. I don’t get any driver flex but I do get some pressure build up with silicone tips and although its not a lot its enough that I would use foams with these. The mids and treble are tuned to near perfection for me. Bass is substantial enough to support the rest of the FR and give it some weight although I expected a bit more bass based no the graph and reviews. The tuning switches don’t change much for me so I would prefer they just dropped those. Fit is solid as well. I would probably put these in the top 5 under $150 for an all rounder. High on my list for a full write up.

• 7Hz Zero - 2/5: Vocal forward and very much a neutral bright set to my ears. They are pretty thin and don’t offer much over any other set I have heard, even at its price point. There is some bass impact but it’s very track dependent so you may not hear it at all depending on the tracks you are listening to. Technicalities are what I expect for the price. There is decent separation but stage is not particularly special and imaging is meh overall.

• KBEar Storm - 2/5: Pretty much the same as the 7Hz Zero but even brighter. It’s a bit airer but that could be due to the treble. There is a slight sizzle I can hear in the upper registers and bass feels to be equally subdued, if not more.

• DTE500 - 3/5: Take the EST50, tighten up the bass, bring down the quantity a tad and increase the mid and treble clarity a bit and you got the DTE500. It’s tough to judge this set because overall it’s better than the EST50 in my opinion but the EST50 doubles down on the tuning where this one goes conservative. Imo if you really want a big, bassy, dark treble tuning then you are better off the EST50 as it does it “more”. If you want something that is more of an all rounder than there are better options than the DTE500 for the money. I guess the DTE500 would be good for someone who wants that type of tuning but doesn’t want to constantly swap sets and wants something that can at least do genres that benefit from more upper energy like pop and latin. Also fit is good but I do get some pressure and driver flex with silicone tips unlike the EST50. I may do a write up on this but it’s not at the top of my list.

12 Likes

@GooberBM some more words on the Starsea

4 Likes

Appreciate the impressions Cal, and I forgot to tell you the EW100 might still be modded. If it has the filters then it is, if not then it’s stock :+1: It’s my favourite $20 IEM with the filters.

And dam I really need to hear the Starseas again sheesh

2 Likes

I’m glad you gave Starsea a chance and enjoyed them. They are a fantastic IEM for $110, at this point, as long as you can manage the pressure build up.

Besides that legit dealbreaker, there are few deals that are better for the budget, for all-arounder IEMs than Starsea. I’m definitely looking forward to deeper thoughts.

I shouldn’t be so surprised that Kai passed the “do I want to hear more?” bar for you, but I kinda was LOL.

And then there’s :rose: :bird: (it’s a finch stand-in, thank you) :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

3 Likes

More thoughts are definitely on the way. It’s shockingly good. Today was my day dedicated to the 10th and I kept wanting to swap them for the starsea. I’ll have a write up on both but the starsea has been the star of the tour for me so far.

It’s unfortunately hamstrung by that pressure build up. I tried the TS400 foams which are the most transparent I have heard and while it alleviated the build up it ruined the sound, which is a first for me. The starsea shines with the FAudio instrument tips and rivals sets under $500 easy imo but that pressure makes it near impossible to listen to for more than an hour.

If they could figure out the pressure issue and remove the useless switches to bring the cost down even further they would have an easy winner

4 Likes