IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Indeed, you have another like minded guy in my server.

1 Like

A majority of my library consists of indie/pop rock and I’d say the Pandas suit it very well. Jazz also works extremely well on the pandas.

2 Likes

2019 Sony tuner…

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome! :smiley:
Smabat also offer bullet/cable-down IEMs like NC0/NC02 and some Bluetooth units as well. I don’t think they make all of them though. I’m almost certainly sure some of their products, especially Bluetooth ones, are made by OEM manufacturers. It seems they tend to announce their new products on their Facebook page, which I hardly visit. I’d say it’s a bit confusing because their website and their AliExpress store list different products.

Thanks a million for your kind words! :smiley:
OG Black Bat was known for the strong bass performance and I was tempted to buy because I enjoyed Black Bat 2 very much. I opted not to do so because of the rather strong V shape sound signature and MMCX connectors, which I don’t like and have been avoiding.

Well, I was just going to post the above but OG Black Bat was added to the AliExpress SuperDeals yesterday and things changed. I could get them for $26.60 and couldn’t resist the price! Budget IEMs have been rapidly evolving for last couple of years and I don’t know if these IEM from a few years back can compete with the current under $50 gems, but at least my ridiculous curiosity will be fulfilled! :nerd_face:

Some “10 minute” impressions on about a dozen sets

3 Likes

Floaudio is a budget brand of Audiosense/Tingker. I’m positive they are basically the same company because I checked their websites and domain info before. I have their 1BA set, Lily, which I picked up for $15 or so, and the box design is identical to Tingker’s. I don’t think they are hiding who they are. This is the back of Lily’s instruction manual.

Bluelover was released a couple of weeks ago and several Japanese got their packages last week. From their impressions, I assume Bluelover is a budget version of DT600. The ‘official’ graph also looks similar to a graph of DT600 with 80Ω adaptor.

I’m almost certainly sure Floaudio measure their IEM graph with a high impedance source because you can’t replicate Lily’s “official” graph without a high impedance source/adaptor.

2 Likes

I don’t need this IEM in my life…and yet I’m being talked into it lol

1 Like

I dont think you would like the stock bluelove (based on my experience with the DT600).

1 Like

Agreed but I have an 80ohm adapter ready to go. I’m just reminding myself it’s not worth it and that’s holding me back lol

80ohm adapter is way too much, 10-30 ohm is better but even then u need a damping filter on the nozzle.

At this point my three are

1. Aur Audio Aure - go to EDC
  2. P1 Max - When I am in the mid centric mood
  3. Legato - When I really want to jam to some rap and hip hop
4 Likes

Me after listening to the Kiwi Ears Quintets.

Kiwi Ears the King of the 200$ Hill.

10 Likes

I am thinking aloud.
“has anybody tried the Tinhifi T2 with CP 240 tips on an ifi/ess dac chip”…

+1. If this is how mid-fi sounds or is at least a taste of the higher end, it’s time for me to stop playing in the kiddie pool.

3 Likes

3 Likes

That helps. I’m gonna play it cool and keep my powder dry

Everything except 2-8k ish looks better on the bluelover to me than the dt600

Here is a a write up on the Penon 10th for anyone interested

5 Likes

I’m not even sure if this is going to be bold statement or I’m just going to look like a fool/novice but here goes;

Resolution and detail retrieval aren’t that important.

Alright, hear me out.

On my way to work today, I was listening to the EA500 for the first time in a long while and was happily and enthusiastically enjoying music as much as I just was at home, on my stack with the Monarch’s in my ears. Further more, in terms of details… the EA500 spits out as much as the Monarch’s it would seem. Maybe if I were to A/B them side by side, the Monarch’s would squeeze out 5% more? MAYBE.

Maybe I’m going crazy or my ears just are inept in terms of noticing this dramatic, 10x the cost difference between these two IEMs when it comes to the technicalities, but I’m just begInning to come to the conclusion that as long as the IEM has good enough overall resolution and doesn’t sound ridiculously muddy, perceiving any kind of 9/10 rating on a resolution or detail scale between two IEMs with a huge price difference just isn’t what my ears are good at.

This doesn’t have to be just regarding the EA500 either, this thought process for me can be applied to a majority of my collection of IEMs.

I guess, I just don’t hear such a huge difference.

I have no idea where I’m at in terms of this hobby, I think I’ve just been overloaded this past year or so and I am completely burnt out. I just want to enjoy my music and as long as the tuning and timbre is good, with acceptable details and resolution, I’m good. The Source rabbit hole is something I’m currently being sucked into as we speak tbh and I think researching and looking at different amps/DACs have redirected my interest away from IEMs for the most part.

This hobby is funny, man. It never ends.

23 Likes