IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

That’s quite a bump up in price from the MM

1 Like

I appreciate the enthusiasm and passion that’s been poured into the world of audio equipment. However, I’ve noticed a concerning trend that’s been gaining momentum. It seems that the hype surrounding new in-ear monitors (IEMs) and the subsequent increase in their prices is largely driven by a select group of reviewers who receive these products for free or at significantly reduced prices.

Every day, a new IEM is introduced to the market, and with it, the sphere of influence expands. Those who have the means to purchase these products independently often contribute to the hype or critique, but in doing so, they inadvertently dampen the aspirations of others.

There’s a well-known YouTuber who never seems to produce a video less than 30-40 minutes long. He rants and raves, but has he ever declared an IEM to be subpar? No, because if he did, the flow of free samples would cease. A new trend has emerged where reviewers declare a product to be “the best that this company has produced.” But what about the consumers who are simply seeking good sound quality at an affordable price?

It seems that these reviewers are inadvertently driving up prices, creating a sense of exclusivity. Even after purchasing a high-end IEM, you’ll soon find another hyped product that makes your recent purchase seem obsolete.

And then there’s the classic disclaimer about the subjectivity of this hobby. If it’s all so subjective, why do tier lists exist? These disclaimers serve as a safety net for reviewers. If a consumer disagrees with a review, the reviewer can simply play the “subjectivity” card, thereby maintaining their status and ensuring the continuous flow of free samples.

This critique is primarily aimed at YouTube reviewers. However, there are exceptions to this trend. There are wonderful individuals in forums like this one who offer genuine advice and help others make informed decisions. They are the ones who have the courage to challenge these brands. They are the minority, but they are the gems that keep this hobby alive.

For instance, take a look at this page: Pulkit Dreamzz. Can you point out a single product that he has criticized?

This is not an attack, but a call for more transparency and honesty in the world of audio equipment reviews. We need more voices that are willing to challenge the status quo and keep this hobby accessible and enjoyable for everyone.

7 Likes

Have you heard of the channel Jay Audio? I heard he’s ok :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

there is a problem wd him. He is male. Otherwise i wud have married him in (though he might not have married me) and wud claimed all his reviews as the pre-nupital.
i adore him.

2 Likes

That guy “Pulkit Dreamzz” is a famous reviewer from head-fi. Don’t trust to head-fi reviewers. They are getting free iems or however they are getting big price cut on them (that man is from India and it is a poor country, so do your math). Also like you said you see that they are not trustable because you never see a serious critic from them. They like everything. The worst are the shillers that are working to increase the sales of Penon/ISN and also Sound Rhyme and Aur Audio (they are working hard on head-fi). Every new iem is better than the previous one or they say that the new one is complementary to the previous one and is fantastic for other genres… it is something like if you want to get the best for all genres you have to buy both of them! Oh and what about the penon cables promoters? Pathetic! This cable that costs 150 dollars increases the bass and the soundstage! And they go to post a 4k photo of the iem to create some hype and say look how much is beautiful the faceplate and the new cable from Penon! Also they are posting photos from the morning to the evening! Like if they don’t have an other job.

About the youtube reviewers… the famous reviewers obviously are getting free stuff and in exchange they must create hype for the new product to increase the sales. They are getting the products before than the normal people for this reason. Do not believe to reviewers. Just read normal opinions from simple people that bought the product that you want. Read many opinions and be cautious when you read on head-fi, because also users that seem to not be reviewers can work as shillers to increase the hype (and start hype train in case of new brands).

4 Likes

I’d have to say over the last year or so a few reviewers have actually forced prices down with either their co-lab’s or making folks aware of ‘budget’ sets that are tuned well and will work with their library’s…high end’s always gonna be high end…$6k for or an IEM or $500k for a pair of speakers…it’s your :moneybag:

6 Likes

or so a few reviewers have actually forced prices down with either their co-lab’s…yes who put their foot down on behalf of us.

1 Like

it is something like if you want to get the best for all genres you have to buy both of them! …juzear41t and SR5 being born at the same moment.

That guy is alright, I guess… If you’re into short and concise, no BS videos that are honest and pleasing to watch… Oh, and handsome people

2 Likes

his videos are so refreshingly contrasting with the" period" guy.

1 Like

Man compared to 20 years ago IEM’s today are way better tuned and as cheap as chips compared….I understand your rant but you guys are sonically blessed today FACT

7 Likes

I doubt anything is wrong with it as it was built and tuned. My critique is that it’s just to much and doesn’t seem to carry anything special with it while taking away everything special about Ripples and Serratus away. Ripples had amazing midbass and texture and Serratus had great layering, huge staging and spot on imaging. If anything Sunniva seems like a step backwards like it would have been the first release and Ripples/Serratus were extracted from it to fine tune certain characteristics and give birth to two separates. Besides the possibility be of the driver being way more expensive I can’t understand it’s asking it’s asking price and what it’s aiming for that way cheaper IEMs and Buds couldn’t duplicate. Ripples and Serratus were both cheaper and I’ve yet to hear any IEM with the center imaging of Serratus or the midbass of Ripples even though it wasn’t my thing.

2 Likes

sir
you ARE absolutely CORRECT. thinking of what shit was being offered at chi-fi equivalents, we cannot but totally agree wd you. But if you follow the trend these reviewers are slowly but surely taking us back there raising the benchmark price brackets. As you have said so nicely, i humbly want to say that all efforts from critiques like you on this forum and the collabs these reviews are just destroying the very transgression of the renaissance that experts like you ushered in.
regards

1 Like

It’s an interesting discussion topic you bring up. Strap up, cause this will be a long one.

While I can only make assumptions as to whom you are referring to with “youtube reviewer”… And yes they tend to try to see the positives in sets. Does this reviewer get stuff for free? Probably some, but I also know that most of the time, they dish out of their own pocket.

When it comes to reviews, sound, opinions on products, you have those who focus on faults and those who focus on positives. I’m sure we’ve all met someone who genuinely finds something positive to say in any given situation. I believe this reviewer is one of those people. It’s not that they are trying to trick the people watching - long term this isn’t a wise strategy to have. They also opt for a format that isn’t trying to maximize views and likes. Most people don’t want to watch a vague 30+ min video in order to get a maybe at the end. This is why tier lists are popular. People want as short and easy as possible.

I truly believe it’s that they really find music enjoyable with a lot of gear. There’s a reason why this person ends their video with no rating. Seeing as this person doesn’t give out stars, ratings and the like, it’s harder for viewers to understand to what level the product is being praised.

It’s like Crin has stated before. It’s pointless to have a scaling system from 1-10, if 80% or more of your reviews are 7 and 8s and you barely ever give 5 or below. And as time goes on, in a hobby such as this where there has been a clear improvement in quality vs price over time, these scaling systems would also have to be remade or re-evaluated every so often, because what was a 9/10 two years back, probably isn’t by today’s standards. Doesn’t mean the gear is trash or obsolete, but not the absolute best value right here and now.

Never take any one reviewer’s opinion for granted (unless you personally know them and they know your library and preference) and vote with your wallet/views/comment, etc.

11 Likes

The vast majority of sets that come out these days have a basic competence that they play music “well enough”. Mood, preferences, libraries, and many miscellaneous factors can affect how we perceive/enjoy a set, and there have been sets I thought were bad on first listen that I came around on (Monarch Mk I, hi).

Another thing is that a reviewer does have an obligation to do is not just say “I like it or don’t like it based on my preferences”. That is important, but @hawaiibadboy doesnt listen for the same thing as @VIVIDICI_111 so a set one likes may not be ideal to the other. It’s important to be able to understand what a set is going for, even if it isn’t your jam. That can absolutely come off as “being positive about everything” but there is SOMEBODY that will enjoy most every IEM, even if you personally think it’s trash.

So I think maintaining a balance between hype and criticism is vital for the health of the hobby. Because we do need both!

4 Likes

you literally summed up everything pretty well about influencers earning cuts and profits ,affiliate links, fake hypes and marketing around iems.
never trust any review tbh, just try different sound profiles either by eq or if you are blessed, try them in the store_ japan im so jealous :melting_face:_, and choose according to your taste or objective data.

1 Like

Definitely agree man :+1::+1:
To have the 7hz Zero at $20 or Truthear Red at $50 or Juzear/P5 at around $180 back in the day would have blown my mind :exploding_head:
Instead we really only had the b2/dusk at $300 if you wanted a cheap well tuned IEM with decent technicalities and then eventually Aria at $100 which was also well tuned but has the technicalities of a $20 IEM today!

4 Likes

I was just joking around but thanks for the love you guys hahaha @trouble

@sovran @Tourbillon Dunno about other reviewers, but I get no cuts or profits. I have to pay for alot of my sets, and I only use affiliate links because I get cucked by customs everytime they deliver something, so it would be nice if someone watching used my link if they were gonna purchase something anyways (to help with customs). Basically, those things have 0 influence on my reviews as I buy most of my stuff. Sound quality is the only thing that matters, oh, and QC too lmao. I try not to get into the hype, but if a set is good, then it’s good.

9 Likes

Those affiliate links aren’t just for specific items off the website, but like referrals for the entire linsoul website, correct? So you get credit regardless of what someone were to purchase?

3 Likes

Yessir every little helps. Customs are totalling close to $200 already :sweat:

3 Likes