šŸ”¶ Campfire Audio Andromeda

Im in the EU ā€¦picked up one V2 ( 2018)stateside for 540 and one V3 (2019) EU side for 650 - I figure thats effectively what a new set costs new so Iā€™ll try both and either have a back up or sell one.

Damn son! Youā€™re in a row!. You can send the one you donā€™t like to me as a gift! :wink:

Every 3-4 years I find a new hobby and max out the oldā€¦bicycle building, drones, 3 d printters ectā€¦this last one was electric skateboard building and ridingā€¦after thrill is gone i usually have a nice board/bike/drone printer and parts with extrasā€¦which I then sell to fund the next passionā€¦anyway I just sold a signifigant portion of my eboards and partsā€¦hence audio budget grewā€¦and im enjoying this stuff soā€¦figure oughta grab and max out the audio gear while im here. Also stupid logic likeā€¦if id gotten this stuff new it wouldve been this much so really im being frugalā€¦I rarely buy anything new ā€¦exceptions being hygene stuffs, bedding, and food.

1 Like

Same here, Iā€™m selling some of my watches to fund my headphone addictionā€¦ Lol. Also previously I was into fishing so I got some expensive reels barely used, etcā€¦

I am happy to understand that you donā€™t buy used food in any way, processed or notā€¦ :rofl:

Wow. These are Fan-Fuckingtastic! So much detail and stage. I get why these have become a reference. I got curious how they produce what they do and ā€¦

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIEMs/comments/7tzfhi/campfire_andromeda_and_its_internals/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

2 Likes

Yep theyā€™re my go to set for serious listening when it comes to my libraryā€¦Stellar upper mids and treble, a banging combo of detail, space and impactā€¦love them too :metal:

1 Like

Hey Andromeda loversā€¦

Iā€™m contemplating for my next big IEM purchase, the Andromeda or the Sony IER Z1R. Anyone have any suggestions? I have some time to make up my mind since I still need to recover from buying a new home and the impact that the pandemic has had on my finances but wanted to hear if anyone any first hand experience with both IEMs and could discuss their differences?

Different sound sigsā€¦The A8000 is probably my TOTL purchase for my libraryā€¦CanJam next year to check :+1:

2 Likes

I have quite a bit of experience with both, but I donā€™t have them both on me so I am going off of memory. I do currently have the Campfire Solstice which is the custom Andromeda, but it does sounds different than a universal Andromeda.

This is not going to help, but they kind of complement each other sound wise so it depends on what music you listen to primarily. They both sound amazing and you will be happy with either sound wise. The Andromeda has a unique tuning that is really engaging and bit more intimate to my ears. When I went to RMAF in 2018, I listened to majority of the IEMs and headphones. Andromeda was one of the few pieces of audio gear that impressed me due to the tuning being amazing (I didnā€™t hear the IER-Z1R back then). The IER-Z1R is probably a better all rounder and has a slight v-shaped sound signature so male vocals are a bit recessed. If you like to have more bass in your sound, the IER-Z1R excels on that end. It is not a bass head amount of bass, but it just the right amount for most people. When I had both on my desk, I listened to both pretty equally.

The main issue that plagues the IER-Z1R is the fit. If you have averaged sized ears and above, I think youā€™ll be fine, but there will be a period where you ears need to adjust to the comfort of them. So first day or so, you wonā€™t be able to wear them for long but over time, you can wear them for hours. A route you can go for both of these in ears is getting custom tips for them and that should fix your fit issues.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys. From your description, the Andromeda is going to be the better choice for me. Iā€™m not a fan of overly V shaped sets. I prefer a laid back/warm presentation with a smooth treble. I love detail but I understand with my tuning preferences, thereā€™s only so much detail Iā€™m going to get. I listen to everything, but my preferred genre is progressive metal. I actually write & record music.

I should clarify that it is more of a slight v-shaped. I donā€™t like most v-shaped headphone/earphones and I still enjoyed the IER-Z1R. The IER-Z1R are warmer than the Andromedas. If you still are set on the Andromeda, let us know what you think of them!

ARGH! Iā€™m quite treble sensitive, but IEMs have really been making me appreciate good treble more and more. When itā€™s done well, itā€™s quite enjoyable as long as nothing is sibilant or painful. I am concerned about the tweeter in the IER-Z1R possibly being too much for my ears. I know the Andromeda would probably be a safe bet for my tastes.

I am currently in love with the Mangird Tea. It has a fantastic tuning for my preferences. A tiny bit more body in the low end couldnā€™t hurt. Iā€™ve got the H40 ordered and arriving any time. Itā€™s supposed to be exactly that so weā€™ll see what happens. My main issue with the Mangird Tea is the driver flex and suction issues I get from the dynamic driver. I have to constantly change its position in my ear to eliminate it. Really a major pain.

I own both the ier-z1r and the Andromeda. I think the people who have issues with the z1r are usually the ones also having issues with deeper fit of them. Once you deep fit them the treble while articulate is really smooth and super detailed. Iā€™ve learned that through swapping a ton of tips on them and going for smaller tips than usual and having deeper insertion.

Generally speaking ier-z1r is a better iem, but Andromedas have a special place in my collection and I donā€™t think Iā€™ll get rid of them either. Feel free to drop any questions you have on me about both of them and Iā€™m happy to reply :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Havenā€™t pushed the bass much in Andros but they are just awesome as far as Im concerned all round. clear clean and wide ā€¦mind you my IEM experience is limited to Tin T2 and T4 prior to this.

Thanks Skedra. I really appreciate the offer for help. This is what I needed to hear. Unfortunately, I never get to hear anything before I purchase it, so Iā€™m really hesitant to spend more money on something Iā€™ve never heard.

Iā€™m still pretty new to the IEM addiction but Iā€™ve got the bug and do not see it ending anytime soon. Iā€™m also insanely concerned with finding the right tips for the right IEM and my ears. I know exactly what youā€™re talking about with going with smaller tips with deeper insertion depths. I actually prefer a deep isolating fit as long as there are no driver flex issues through poor venting design.

1 Like

Z1R doesnā€™t have that, but itā€™s a very large body so not everyone can actually deep fit them. Thatā€™s the main consideration about them. They are also quite hard to drive so a better source is a nice to have. Need a side by side picture with Andromeda or something like that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be awesome. Appreciate it!

IEM addiction is real, been addicted for like 8 years now. In the future, to kind of stop the addiction a little bit, I would recommend owning like 3-4 with different sound signatures that you enjoy. That way once your ears get bored with one, you have another that may satisfy your needs.

Also the IER-Z1R has great and large selection of tips imo.

3 or 4? I have 4 on their way right now! lol.

I got the IBasso IT00 yesterday. ISN H40, KXXX and another Blon BL-03 for the hell of it.

3 Likes