Campfire shootout

3 Likes

Summary:

Everything before 7:50 = taking the IEM boxes out of the big box
Everything after 7:50 = extremely noncommittal ā€œthey are goodā€ rambling

It sounds like sound signatures of the revised Andro and Solaris havenā€™t changed significantly, which is good news because nothing was broken with either. When it came to sound of the Ara, the message was pretty much ā€œI liked it, but I donā€™t want to say anything about it yet because I only listened for an hour.ā€ Well, at least his hour was well-spent, and I only lost 15 minutes of my life to rediscover what Iā€™d already read in the presser. :slight_smile:

I got a little more out of this sub-3-minute preview, which describes the Ara as promising ā€œa very resolving and appealing sound signature with excellent vocal presentation and an expansive soundstage.ā€ Frankly I could use that same description for Andromeda, so itā€™s difficult to picture what makes Ara unique, but at least thereā€™s a hint of what they may have been setting out to accomplish.

Thereā€™s also a much longer Head-Fi video with interviews with Caleb Rosenau and Ken Ball from Campfire:

Per Ken, the Ara takes elements from Andro Gold and MW10, but changes the low frequencies a bit. The goal was to accentuate the mids and enhance detail.

1 Like

Any thoughts on which campfires are best for classical? I like everything from duets and trios to big choral symphonies.

I think the Andros would be perfect for those genres :+1:

I was hoping youā€™d say one of their cheaper models :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve read the Lyra 2 might be good. There are still some available on the net.

I think the Andros would be spot on for those genres with their mids and sparkling but non fatiguing highsā€¦but if youā€™re chasing a similar sound signature of say the solaris without the :moneybag: I can defo rec the spring 1ā€™s

1 Like

Canā€™t see myself ever spending $1,500 on IEMs. Headphones, ok, since theyā€™d never leave my desk, and will never be stuffed in my pocket.

2 Likes

I guess you want to buy into the campfire brand? which is cool but I have both the Andros and the Peacock P1ā€™sā€¦yes the Andros to my ears are the better set but 10x better? thatā€™s gonna be a personal callā€¦maybe the Tin HiFi P1ā€™s are worth considering too if you can drive them? as theyā€™re power hungryā€¦I love those too :smiley:

Iā€™m not familiar with the Peacock P1. Iā€™ll check them out. As for Tin, I recall Zeosā€™s rave view of the P1 and his comparison with the Android, as well as the rave review by Bad Guy Good Audio or whatever he calls himself. Reminds me a lot of Zā€™s estimation of the M1060 as being so close to the LCD2 as to make it hard to justify the extra $$. He argued that the lower price of the LCD2c killed the value-for-money advantage of the M1060, just as a cheaper Campfire would, if I could find one with the right signature, I guess.

Iā€™m not wed to Campfire, I just like the idea. I donā€™t know why. The fact that itā€™s American made helps. Seems like 99% of what I buy is Chinese. I wonder if I have the power for the P1ā€¦my own the go rig currently consists of a ES100 connected to my Pixel 3. (Love the ES100, by the wayā€“best $100 Iā€™ve ever spent).

1 Like

We have a thread on the Peacocks here

Theyā€™re getting more exposure now so you should be able to get more opinions, as for power if ES100 can drive DT1990ā€™s? then it should be ok but the Tin P1ā€™s love a bit of headroom :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. I just read through. Now I want both the Peacocks and the Andromeda!

Have you ever listened to the Comet?

Sadly no sorry Iā€™ve not heard the Cometā€™sā€¦Iā€™m sure some of our forum members have so hopefully they can chime in?.

Ok not everyones cup of tea but I like John, he likes music first and he also appreciates and owns high end gearā€¦
This might help on the Comet front?

Yeah I like John but he is pretty far from the truth in my opinion. The video is also quite old and plenty of good IEMs have been produced in the past year.

$200 tops out just above ā€˜budgetā€™, I would call it mid tier.

It lacks the dynamic bass as they are just Balanced Armature, just one. There are seriously some very good options out there for this price now.

What ā€œtruthā€ is that?

1 Like

Well, he called it the ā€˜bestā€™ budget IEM.

The truth is technically there is no such thing as best because sound is subjective. But for the price there are IEMs with better timbre, or bass, or mids etcā€¦

tenor

Iā€™ve not heard the Cometā€™s but iā€™m sure everyone has their take on the best < $200 iem if you want to champion the :dollar: then thatā€™s cool :+1:ā€¦iā€™m listening on Andros being English but yeah Chifi offer the best audio bang for buck for sure?..your choice and preference as always :smiley:

2 Likes

If I ever got a Campfire it would be the Io, but will likely not stand up to others I have. Iā€™m going to avoid Campfire as Iā€™m pretty confident the edges of the iems would touch something that doesnā€™t like to be touched by a metal ridge lmao

Iā€™d consider the Tin 2 great ā€œbudget IEMs.ā€ Comets? No, but Darkoā€™s review, which Iā€™ve seen before, and quite a few others like BGGR or whatever his name is, made it sound like the Comet was one of those cases of terrific value for the money, and an option that exposed the extent to which ā€œbetterā€ gear meant spending considerably more money for relatively incremental improvements (diminishing returns).

I like Darkoā€™s videos a lot, and I have the feeling Iā€™d like him a lot if we met. Heā€™s one of the reasons why Iā€™m so intrigued by the Meze 99. That said, his musical tastes are distinctly different from mine. Heā€™s into early 80s post punk, for example. Iā€™m more about Bach. That makes me skeptical about whether something he likes is necessarily something Iā€™d like.

My old standbys are Fischer DBA-02 MK2, which I bought after losing my pair of Mk 1. All based on some reviews on Head-Fi. They were about $150 and are really good. And yes, distinguishably better than my Tin2, which I bought for my son. (He doesnā€™t care for him, which is great, as I ordered those Fiio BT adapters and will make them into all BT iems for my own use). Only when I pay close attention to I find the Fischerā€™s inadequate, esp. after listening as much as I do to my HD650s. So Iā€™m convinced ā€œbetterā€ exists, and I know I donā€™t need to jump up to Adromedas to get better (not that Iā€™m not tempted!)

By no means am I saying he is wrong.

I am simply saying that ā€˜bestā€™ isnā€™t a useful term, and that if by ā€˜bestā€™ he meant best mids or best treble or bass or whatever, in the year or so since the video was made, other offerings have come out for a cheaper price that has less sibilance or deeper bass or whatever; meaning whatever he used to clarify them being the best, there are ā€˜betterā€™ now.

1 Like