Custom cable gallery

GR Research is a company I hold a great amount of respect for. Their Youtube channel is really good, so I wouldn’t doubt that it’s a good product. But I cannot confirm, somebody has to either try them out or know somebody who has tried them out.

Great team of people behind that company!

1 Like

Guy on ebay selling these HD6XX series connectors. I picked up a pair to try them out. Phenomenal quality! Billet aluminum cover and a very well built connector, the new ones are black I just threw them on a cable, really good.

1 Like

What material is the white thing? Teflon?

1 Like

Yeah yeah.

That sounds very nice, how do they fit on the headphones? I have seen multiple 3rd party connectors that are oversized and hard to insert.

Nice to see @skedra here sharing some cable pics. I just received a pair of “skables” for my two best headphones–Susvara and VC–and I couldn’t be happier with the result. Out of all my cables (and I have a few), these are by far the nicest (also the most expensive). I wanted something special for my favorite headphones, and that’s exactly what I got.

Skedra likes to ship his best cables in fancy wooden boxes. They’re a nice match for a set of little pirate chests I already owned. I got two sets of 8-core cables–a copper one for VC, and a silver set for Susvara. Since Susvara needs a small nuclear plant to power, I skipped my usual 2.5mm termination in favor of a heavy duty XLR and a pair of pigtails: one terminated in 1/4" for Pendant and the other with a set of spades for running off of speaker amps.

For the VC cable, I was originally hoping for black connectors to match the yokes and headband of my VCs, but apparently black 2.5mm connectors are out of fashion. Skedra came up with the brilliant idea to try blueing stainless connectors. So instead of ordinary matte or metallic black connectors, I’ve got some next-level art that 's just as unique, varied and special as the headphones to which this cable is being paired. What I can’t capture in pictures is the muted rainbow of reflections that shine from these connectors and the splitter when light plays off of them.

The cables themselves are stunning–the weave is perfection, and the copper is mesmerizing (the silver even moreso).

The darkened, distressed finish of these connectors is a nice match for the stabilized earcups of my VCs. And the copper matches the height adjustment pins.

So here’s the big picture: 2m of beautiful cable tethering VC to Pendant. This is my go-to setup for simply getting lost in music. I set out to test my new cables with a few songs and barely managed to pry myself away to go to bed 4 1/2 hours later.

22 Likes

22 Likes

It appears that you can make your own Audioquest Diamond ethernet cables for a price considerably lower than one of your testicles. I mean I’d never laugh at you if you’ve bought one of these since you’ve obviously got Walter Whitman level piles of cash laying around.

But I have to admit, I’d be willing to take one for the team and buy a pair just to try them out. Curious to know what’s the consensus from the peanut gallery?

2 Likes

Why would you buy field-crimpable connectors?
For the price of like 4 of them, you can get a top-quality crimping tool and go to town.

2 Likes

Hmmm, not finding them stateside.

The connectors or crimping pliers?

Yeah I know, not sexy but sometimes you need RCA cables that are just the right length. I saved myself a whopping $20 bucks making these myself (if you don’t include the hour it took to make them) but there’s a certain satisfaction of getting something that’s a perfect fit.

Wanted to try out the Amphenol connectors, not bad but I still prefer the Canare crimp on.

9 Likes

Since then I have not ventured away from my trusted Neutrik. Used Sommercable’s “Hicon” connector once. PITA to solder to.

Whoa! Nice thread I have hart cables, the standard red ones but I recently ask them to custom made a 2 pin mmcx

5 Likes

Hart Audio cables came in today, super happy…

16 Likes

Finally getting some extra time, it’s nice! Here’s some stuff we’ve done recently:

15 Likes

Is the 2-pin getting added to the lineup?

Most likely!

2 Likes

Looks like the 2 pin you did for me a couple of weeks ago…!! That would be crazy if it is!!

Sent in an email for the custom cables I wanted to order! Looking forward to them!!!

1 Like