šŸ”· Denafrips Ares II

too bad the discount code doesnā€™t work anymore

Thereā€™s been some interesting discussions as to the differences between the OS and NOS mode on the Ares II and which are better, so I thought Iā€™d move some threads here.

Both @JeffreyJhons and @mynameistoolongforth prefer the OS mode, so does the reviewer linked. It might be helpful if you could elaborate a bit more what you like better about the OS for anyone considering the Ares II?

For my part, I have stated elsewhere that I have preferred the NOS and felt it is a better implementation. I didnā€™t post anything here as I largely agree with the finding of M0N and WaveTheory (their reviews/impressions can be found in this thread). What I personally like the most about the NOS mode is, to my ears, it has greater depth and better placement and a more natural/organic timbre, but also with a more fun, warmer tuning which I understand may not be for everyone.

3 Likes

Is OS for over sample and NOS for non over sample?

Yep over-sampling and non over-sampling. Strictly speaking, the Ares II does not have a true NOS mode, but from an enjoyment perspective it shouldnā€™t matter too much.

What would be the purpose of over sampling??? Wouldnā€™t you want the music file to stay in its original sample?

Iā€™m generally unfamiliar with the technicalities of electronics, perhaps this might be helpful: Non Over Sampling (NOS) DACs Discussion - #9 by db_Cooper

But my understanding is that Delta-Sigma DACs tend to be oversampling and use different filters so over-sampling must be an essential function in at least one kind of D/A conversion.

Thanks! Little bit over my head for now, but thank you hehe :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Just for sharing. NOS and OS on my Arya. While pairing with Cayin IHA-6.

NOS is so relax in Upper treble region, where the OS bring back much air and treble details too. Depends on your liking both mode are great to have. Slow and Fast though I think too minute changes to care. I still use Slow. Enjoy every minute with the Ares II, Hard to go back DS DACs. The air and space is just insane with the Arya combo.

3 Likes

Just got the Ares II in and it made my speakers sound sweet when I fired them up.

Really pleasant first impression. I paired this with the lake people rs-08 and the t1.2 and everything sounded good. Initially I couldnt tell a huge difference but after a few tracks, i started to notice how amazing the separation of everything was. Youtube music videos are hitting different. Everything sounds just more coherent compared to the topping e30 and micro bl dac. I guess this is what ive been looking for. A dac that is more fun and lively compared to the other two. It seems like its easier to pick out the differences between amps connected to the ares.

1 Like

Congrats for the purchase and glad youā€™re liking it! Iā€™m pairing mine (in NOS mode) with something similar, the LakePeople G111 and I personally prefer this pairing than with a Soekris 1321 as itā€™s a bit more fun. My experience has been that the sound constantly improves as I left it on. You might be more surprised with it after a week or so.

1 Like

I really cant wait. Ive noticed a change from cold start up to now so i guess ill just never turn the ares off.

1 Like

You probably know this already, this is an instruction from Denafrips on how you can play with NOS/OS and different filters if you want to

1 Like

Ive found I like the Asgard 3 in OS. Added just that extra something that i felt the asgard was missing. The Lake people I like on NOS as well.

1 Like

Gotcha gotcha, I dunno how much I should trust my ears but I found the OS to be slightly more neutral which may pair better with the warmer A3. I have left it in NOS since I need to listen to OS a bit more to be sure.

Yeah I agree. In NOS i was noticing vocals sounding a bit too warm.

1 Like

Agree too, youā€™ll get a darker sound, less airy too.

1 Like

Pretty great having the choice. Finding some headphones are more preferable on one setting or the other.

Listening to the thieaudio phantoms now, and i dont enjoy them on os. The airy quality is something I dont like with the phantoms and the added warmth of nos really make the phantoms more enjoyable for me.

Ill have to go through all the headphones to see how i like each of them on nos or os now i guess.

3 Likes

Day 10 with the Denafrips Ares II [Update]
Still WOWs me.

Iā€™ve not off the unit since the day I got it, it should run at full performance now, not even on standby mode. Paired with Cayin IHA-6 and Hifiman Arya V2.

NOS mode with Slow/Fast:

Not suitable for me at the moment since I just moved on from the DS DAC Gustard A18 which is using the AK4499 chip is very clear outline on each note. Using this mode lacks air and treble energy which is very obvious differences. The amount of fine details is there but not easy to my ears for now. The rest of the spectrum sounds the same to me. Perhaps when I want a more softer sound I would switch to NOS.

Soundstage is narrow down I guess is because the lack of air giving that impression. It became more intimate and studio sound. You still get some nice separation and holographic here, maybe because the Arya complement it well.

OS mode with Slow/Fast:

This mode is entirely different league. Iā€™m surprised by how much more better than what I heard before. I always thought R2R supposed to be very warm and smooth tube like sound, Maybe just me. :sweat_smile:. I was so wrong with the Ares II. It still give you those sparkle when its called upon. Else it wonā€™t be there. Maybe thatā€™s the organic of this dac provide or R2R is like that. Maybe someone can tell me more. This mode give you full extension of the treble and very airy. The soundstage is wider almost like an infinite space presentation. Each note are well separated. On most occasion it sounds really like a full hifi system setup. Unlike the NOS, it sounded studio like.

Overall:

Everything sounded so natural it is recognizable which a DS DAC wonā€™t give. At least to my experience. The tonality is just brilliant. You feel very comfortable listening especially with Soul and Jazz music, those vocals are just so beautiful. Listening to busier tracks like metal doesnā€™t lack clarity. Still quick to response, symbols, drum, strings still sound natural with the right amount of decay and speed.

Soundstage, Air and Space is what make this DAC stands out from the rest. You may not get this type of traits from most of the DS DACs at least at this price point.

To this point I still donā€™t get to differentiate the Slow and Fast filter. Please pardon my beginners ears.

Comparison:
Gustard A18 MQA-
Is not surprising that this DAC still brim with extreme clarity and details. It sounded as accurate as you can get from a DAC these days, but you donā€™t get that so called ā€œanalogā€ sound like the Ares II. Details are always there for you to listen. Sometimes can sound sterile because is one of the most neutral dac. If you want flavor this will not add any. It lacks the layering and space of the Ares II, soundstage is not even on the same league. To my surprised, the Ares II actually sounded more detail probably the separation quality of the sound are more easier to discern. The dynamics on the A18 is certainly better, it has more authority on bass slam and tightness. Perhaps the 6Vrms against the 4Vrms makes the difference? Iā€™m not technical at all in audio so is only base on my listening. For those who want to know the D90 comparison, sorry is not even close to it although it measures well. Just sorry, not to my ears. Sound too flat (2D) presentation, intimate and itā€™s been sometime I donā€™t have it, So not going into it. Sorry.

Iā€™ve done a measurement graph to get them compare, you may refer to the photo below. Obvious differences on upper frequency.

I truly in love with this DAC or R2R altogether. It pairs really well with my Gears. Will i go back Delta sigma DACs? I not sure really. What I know is this is an experience I really enjoying. Ares II is by far the most natural sounding DAC I ever listened to and the best so far for my journey. I surely know thereā€™s more better out there. But now this the only budget DAC I can go so far. Hopefully in future I can have more money to spend or willing to spend more on audio. Iā€™m end for now.

Ares II is highly recommended even without screen, remote or preamp. Hope you guys enjoy the brief review.

8 Likes

New review

Pretty good, kind of disapointed about the NOS stuff, as I see it, itā€™s just a firmware problem, if we suppose there is nothing wrong with the hardware, the same with the impulse response of the slow filter

The latency problem should get better lowering the ASIO buffer size?

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, what amps are people pairing with their Ares 2s?

Trying to gauge whether it could be due to the amp as to whether someone prefers OS over NOS for example.