Desktop/bookshelf Speakers that work well with 40 wpc tube amp

Yeah I went to a dealer when he got them in, very nice looking

I preferred the Graham LS6 over the Harbeth 30.1 but you will need to get along with the rear port. A 3/5 design would be less room sensitive.
Personally I would probably try to make Graham LS6 work on my desk.
Tannoy Autograph Mini-OW just love tubes. And Tannoy Eaton are kind of Endgame as much as they are overkill on a desk.

So far all options are winners, nothing mentioned would be a poor choice. I can speak for the Falcon LS3/5a’s.
2015 Mac book pro - Qobuz and Tidal - Exogal, Comet DAC - Dekware CSP2 pre - Sugden FPA-4 amp - Falcon LS3/5a’s -REL T9/i. Monoprice RCA’s & speaker wire, audioquest power cables, Furman line conditioner and voltage regulator. 6ft desk, mid-room, 12*13 room, lots of books and rug, no proper sound treatment. I’m sure a professional could add some tweaks to make the sound even better than it is, I could not be happier though, expensive desktop setup that really shines with all genre’s. Warm, luscious, velvety sound, my personal preference. Non-fatiguing, you can listen to it for hours, soundstage and imaging is excellent and there Is absolutely a sense of the singers there just hovering behind the desk as they are performing for you personally. The REL subwoofer added the perfect bottom end, I wish I had not waited so long to add it. Volume levels and performance is perfect for a small room, desktop setup if you need extreme or high volume levels this is not the appropriate setup. I would get bigger speakers for high volume. To me this is a keeper and i have no plans to further modify or change anything. Happy listening and good luck on whatever choices you make.

3 Likes

Falcon LS3/5a look good to but I have never listended to them.
Regardless all the BBC designs are great and I love them all.
Its just a matter of tast and the given room which one to get.
I’m familiar with: Graham LS6, LS5/5, LS5/9 and Harbeth P3ESR, M30.1, HL5plus.
Listening to everyon of them is a lot of fun and not fatiguing. I have chosen HL5 plus for my livingromm and tried LS6 from a friend in my office… now I realy want to by them too.

But Tannoy is still a valide option with tubes.

1 Like

I actually like them over the P3, really nice stuff

The problem is finding a retailer. A few of the canuck audio mart listings for the falcons are a bit sketch as to condition

makes sense bcause I like the Graham LS6 over the M30.1 …
But maybe we both are just loving the more neutral and studio monitor like clear / transparent speakers.
HL5 s are a different thing all together.

sorry I´m from europe … what about tannoy dealers ?
by the way, have you considered the Luxman SQ-N150? SS´s are more my area of ​​expertise but I like this thing a lot.

I only know of one dealer with tannoys in toronto

I think it’s because both are closer to the original BBC designs lol. Harbeth puts more of their own spin on things (that’s not a bad thing either its just preference)

1 Like

http://tubeaudio.com/

Maybe call my friends over at Arizon HiFi and see what they could do about shipping something up to you? Obviously I have no idea about how the customs aspect of it would work, sorry about that. Mayb they have something slightly used that could come up as ‘spare parts’ wink,wink…

1 Like

Graham 5/5 would be the perfect addition to my HL5S haha…

@PABastien
maybe look for Spendor Dealers

Yep know a few around toronto that sells spendor and harbeth. Though the harbeth store is closer to my house

3 Likes

Sounds like you know what to go try lol

1 Like

Sorry to zombify a dead thread but what’s the difference between the regular ps3 harbeths and the 40th anniversary?

The 40th have upgraded electrical components like the crossover, they do sound a bit better than the normal versions imo, but I wouldn’t pay too much more for the 40ths over non 40ths

I think it’s only like 200 dollars more where I am

I think that would be worth imo, also the 40th have better resale value too

Yeah. Have you heard those JBL booksheld speakers based on their classic floor standers by chance. The one with the egg carton orange speaker grills?

The legend l200 or l100s? Those are pretty sweet, very impactful, smooth, and enjoyable for their size

The l100s yeah
But theres also a new set called the l82