TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

Parts number for the 900 drivers are 1471548843

you might want to try other sites if you don’t have a pair of 900s

1 Like

Glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks that track is amazing for a true sub-bass test! Hans did amazing stuff there.

1 Like

It’s an awesome track for sure!

1 Like

I’ve been back and forth between all my headphones all week (working from home) and keep coming back to the X00 Ebony. This is including my Focal Elex, Elegia and ZMF Aeolus to name just a few.

11 Likes

Damn good headphone for sure.

1 Like

Hello,
2 days ago i have recived my Lawton Dampkit from America for my Denon Ah D 2000.It was Easy to made.
treiber

I find the Denon D2000 after Mod better.Before it was not Bad to,better as the Fostex without mod.
The highs on the Denon without Mod is not so grave as the Fostex.
I have only put the Mod on the driver,the plastic cups i have let it.
Finally Today i have recived the beautiful Rosewood cups from E-mu.

image5
image7
image8

Very beautiful,E-mu have give 10 screws in the Kit,very Nice.
I thinks i can do it in ten minutes for the install.
Nothing,first Step cuting the nodes because the cups can´t close it.
And i must put it out the Driver from the frame for a better cut.
treiber

Then I noticed that the cups did not fit properly into the driver, and I had to sand the inside of the cups with sandpaper.
I also saw that I pull it through when sanding so that the surface remains flat and is not humped in places.
I also moistened you a little because you were very dry, apparently to help.
It is important that you make sure that when you put the cup on the driver it is easy.
Otherwise if there is too much tension and you tighten the screws it can crack.
So pay attention, it’s an important step.
Since the driver is already detached from the frame, first the cup is screwed and then the whole unit into the frame, because the screws do not fit through where the pad is attached.
image82

I have final pictures of the restoration here.

image0

image4

That was the old state when I bought it.

What I changed was the headband, which my wife sewed for me.
I chose a textile suede in black.
I have to say that it is very pleasant, and a little padding again.
The stubborn KAbel replaces that of Via blue epc 2.
And new pads, of course, from Accesorry House with the Dekoni Attunion Rings.
Only later did I decide on the Lawton mod and the E-Mu Cups.
I no longer know which user sent me the email from the e-mu, many thanks to you

Sound:
I installed the cups without the foam that is included in the Lawton kit.
So the cups are bare on the inside.
And isolation is still good.
I can say the following about the sound: Pure without mods I had to say that in Denon the plastic cup was not badly coordinated.
The bass was very good and the mids. The highs were a bit untamed but not disturbing. Slight hiss and harshness could be heard.
After Lawton Mod that was gone and the bass gained contour and was better again.
The mids also sounded a little more closed.

After exchanging the rosewood cups.
The following happens.
The bass is a bit behind but not annoying, but it is much more precise on the point.
It can be soft, soft and hard.
And also pulls through from start to finish.
In the middle, this moves more forward at the expense of the bass, which is actually good.
I noticed with the plastic cups that the bass is too present.
And now not at all, the voices woman / man move more into the foreground and have much more body and strength.
What I wished for.
The highs don’t sound too hard or too sharp, which hurts the ear.
It was a little too much for me that I took the minimal back on the equalizer.
And pull through from front to back.
So very good.
Overall, it sounds much better in the separation. Left / right is much more noticeable.
Also more precise in every region.
It’s so easy to hear subbass, or a thunderstorm where you think you’re in the middle of it.
He has also become significantly less transparent in music.
I am very satisfied with the cups from E-mu, the workmanship and quality are very good for the price.
Establishing contact was time-consuming, sometimes taking days, but not bad.
I’m curious if he can get the Denon Ah D7200.
This is also a point where many former or D2000 users have said that the bass looks bloated.
Indeed, if you have both, otherwise you don’t notice.
Have fun and stay healthy.
And thanks to everyone who helped me.

7 Likes

That’s the one complaint I had with the EMU cups. They ship with extra screws but they don’t fit where the cups screw onto the driver housing. I ended up grinding them down to fit but you can also reuse the screws that came with the X00

2 Likes

Hi,
what I think is the only reason why the screws of the E mu do not fit in, that it is wanted that you can see whether the cups are closing properly, so that you are forced to remove the driver.
It was okay, too, because that was the only way I could ensure that it was closed properly and that nothing bleed or let through.
The screws that belong to the Denon plastic cups are too long, so don’t use them in any case, shorten them alternatively, but only if you build back you won’t have any.
I also considered whether I should grind you down, but didn’t want to mess up the optics in case I have to show it.
Otherwise the work was worth it and the investment. Would certainly do it again.
I’m thinking again about getting an old Denon :see_no_evil: and then putting zebra wood or Paulo santo on it with other cups. gehört I’ve heard another 2-3 hours.
ufff really good good good.
Rock also does well with or during gaming.

I finally got my hands on a pair of AGH “Ori” sheepskin earpads, the one that’s been recommended here a few times before, and while I was very pleased with the quality and comfort, I have to admit I didn’t like the change in sound too much.

The extra distance from the drivers actually made the vocals more enjoyable for me overall, I was impressed, mind you that I’m using it with an X00 Mahogany, and I will do another test run with ebony cups and Lawton tune-up when they arrive. However, it also made the treble a bit too sharp for my liking, and my biggest problem is that the bass is not even nearly as punchy as it is with the stock pads. It’s there, and it’s clean, but unless we’re talking about an extremely bass-heavy music, it doesn’t have the same roar as it does with stock pads. If I had just one less problem with it, I would have considered it a completely viable alternative to the stock pads, there are even some tracks that I like a bit more with the AHG pads, but on the other hand there are quite a lot that lose all their spark with it. As it currently stands, I would consider it very noticably inferior. Making the change hurts exactly where the X00 supposedly outshines its competition, and that begs the question why even bother, then? I wouldn’t put them in the same league.

By the way, I used it with a pair of home-made attenuation rings. I even spent some extra time making two pairs, one that matches the shape of the original rings and one that matches the shape of the AGH pad’s hole. I wouldn’t recommend going with anything other than the stock attenuation rings’ shape lol

I didn’t either, when I used the Ori pads it made everything sound very hollow. I went back to using the Dekoni X00 pads w/ attenuation rings. I’m still A/B testing between the Dekoni vs stock pads.

Hello,
When you have buy this Pads

Try to buy a pair of the Attunion rings from Dekoni and fit it.
After this you can be sure is near to the Original pads.
I have try this pair of pads without the Rings,and was disapoint in the first step.
At first i don‘t understand it why because same guys here say’s very good Pads and all.After inread the Post about the Rings i fit it and all was be fine.
I have the Tr x00 Mahagony too,and say the true.:smile:.
Compared this with other pads who i have try it is not the same.
They are the best Pads who comes really really near to the original pads when you use the Dekoni Attunion rings with it.
When you live in Europe check Elektromod.uk it cost with shipping 19£.
I have give the Order last Sunday and recived it thursday.
I don’t knok what is the secret from the rings but it good.Make selfmade is difficult,the thikness must be the same of the Dekoni,the cut,the position,is not easy.

2 Likes

What did you make your rings out of? As far as u can tell the best material is a soft/flexible plastic that us about 1/2 mm thick. Also like you said, the stock hole shape is best. I’m actually going to make a new set of rings out of Ovaltine tin lids tomorrow to see how it changes the sound.

1 Like

Are you planning on making a full ring or just a half crescent?

I used the lid of an old ice cream container, so it shouldn’t be all that different from the stock ring.

I tried moving it around to see how much the positioning can make a difference, and both of you were correct, it does seem like I didn’t make as good a job as I had thought, and it doesn’t stay in place at the perfect spot. It did improve the bass slightly when I fixed that.
Still, what I’m hearing even now pretty much matches my original problem, only to a lesser degree, exactly like how fireWire87 described it, it sounds hollow.
It’s certainly not as bad as I wrote in my original comment, though, but it’s still not good enough to consider switching over to, and that is considering that I find the stock pads mildly irritating.

I will give them another try tomorrow, just in case my ear can get used to it.

Maybe try these. They are more comfortable that the stock pads since they are real leather and memory foam and sound about as close to stock as any of the pads I’ve tried have come, though I personally like the slightly wider more open sound of the Ori pads. (Sadly they are currently unavailable on Amazon)

Like you said, positioning is pretty important. The rings I made have the hole about 1 or 2 mm farther forward than the stock pads. The back portion of the ring should just slightly cover the foam ring around the driver (like 4 mm). From what I’ve seen on other forums while researching pads swapping for the X00s, the thicker material used for the rings, the more bass, but I don’t know if it affects the treble. That’s what I plan to test tomorrow with the Ovaltine tin lids.

1 Like

Keep us updated when you receive your cups and tuning kit which should fix your treble issues. You might want to also consider the Dekoni X00 pads if comfort is an issue with the stock pads. Its only slightly larger in width and uses memory foam which lets it retain a lot of the stock pad sound qualities. Paired with the Dekoni rings compared to stock there wasn’t a real noticeable reduction in bass at all.

1 Like

I can say so much about the rings.
My wife scanned such a dekoni ring and tried to imitate it on the plotter.
The film that was used was only 0.25 mm thick.
Measured on the original dekoni ring, the thickness was 0.45 mm.
The plotter really messed up the print. The cut was not good. And in general it was a waste of time. It was probably a little bit of everything. The thickness of the film was not enough, certain settings on the plotter itself.
Since they only cost £ 9 and £ 10 for shippingcoast for outside the country. I said come until we experimented around. Are the rings there and don’t have to annoy me or have doubts in the end.
Obviously, this is a sensitive issue, and the headphones themselves are also very sensitive if you take it seriously.
Then everything can quickly sound different than you would have expected.
In the end, it is still a matter of taste for the listener.
I only know that I do not know the other pads and although I could have ordered them I thought come and take them where you ordered them the first time.
They were so good for me that I didn’t want anything else, so I ordered 2 sets again for the D2000 and a new as replacement.
It is also important to give yourself some time to listen - it sometimes takes time for the ear to get used to it.
If the rest fits.

1 Like

Yeah i did that once too. Something about these headphones are really fantastic. I should quite stalling and send them in to Lawson mods

I would just order the cups and install it all yourself. I’m no craftsman and I was able to do the driver side mod with no problems. The cups come off with 4 screws and go back on fairly easily. Just make sure not to drop the screws inside the frame. That’s a pain to deal with, but pretty much the only real “danger” in doing it yourself.

2 Likes

I made the new attenuation rings out of ovaltine lids today and so far my first impressions are VERY good. I’ve only listened to a few songs so far, but the treble and mids seem to be about the same as the first rings I made, or at least I haven’t noticed any chang yet, but the sub bass seems to be way up. I’ve been feeling the sub bass rumbles in my chest in songs like “Oh Mama” by Run the Jewels.

Here are some pictures with measurements if you want to try these for yourself.

These kinds of lids

Blue is the originals (about .4mm thick) and the brown is the ovaltine lid ( about .8mm thick)

100mm across

58mm tall

38mm wide

8 Likes