TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

Maybe try these. They are more comfortable that the stock pads since they are real leather and memory foam and sound about as close to stock as any of the pads I’ve tried have come, though I personally like the slightly wider more open sound of the Ori pads. (Sadly they are currently unavailable on Amazon)

Like you said, positioning is pretty important. The rings I made have the hole about 1 or 2 mm farther forward than the stock pads. The back portion of the ring should just slightly cover the foam ring around the driver (like 4 mm). From what I’ve seen on other forums while researching pads swapping for the X00s, the thicker material used for the rings, the more bass, but I don’t know if it affects the treble. That’s what I plan to test tomorrow with the Ovaltine tin lids.

1 Like

Keep us updated when you receive your cups and tuning kit which should fix your treble issues. You might want to also consider the Dekoni X00 pads if comfort is an issue with the stock pads. Its only slightly larger in width and uses memory foam which lets it retain a lot of the stock pad sound qualities. Paired with the Dekoni rings compared to stock there wasn’t a real noticeable reduction in bass at all.

1 Like

I can say so much about the rings.
My wife scanned such a dekoni ring and tried to imitate it on the plotter.
The film that was used was only 0.25 mm thick.
Measured on the original dekoni ring, the thickness was 0.45 mm.
The plotter really messed up the print. The cut was not good. And in general it was a waste of time. It was probably a little bit of everything. The thickness of the film was not enough, certain settings on the plotter itself.
Since they only cost £ 9 and £ 10 for shippingcoast for outside the country. I said come until we experimented around. Are the rings there and don’t have to annoy me or have doubts in the end.
Obviously, this is a sensitive issue, and the headphones themselves are also very sensitive if you take it seriously.
Then everything can quickly sound different than you would have expected.
In the end, it is still a matter of taste for the listener.
I only know that I do not know the other pads and although I could have ordered them I thought come and take them where you ordered them the first time.
They were so good for me that I didn’t want anything else, so I ordered 2 sets again for the D2000 and a new as replacement.
It is also important to give yourself some time to listen - it sometimes takes time for the ear to get used to it.
If the rest fits.

1 Like

Yeah i did that once too. Something about these headphones are really fantastic. I should quite stalling and send them in to Lawson mods

I would just order the cups and install it all yourself. I’m no craftsman and I was able to do the driver side mod with no problems. The cups come off with 4 screws and go back on fairly easily. Just make sure not to drop the screws inside the frame. That’s a pain to deal with, but pretty much the only real “danger” in doing it yourself.

2 Likes

I made the new attenuation rings out of ovaltine lids today and so far my first impressions are VERY good. I’ve only listened to a few songs so far, but the treble and mids seem to be about the same as the first rings I made, or at least I haven’t noticed any chang yet, but the sub bass seems to be way up. I’ve been feeling the sub bass rumbles in my chest in songs like “Oh Mama” by Run the Jewels.

Here are some pictures with measurements if you want to try these for yourself.

These kinds of lids

Blue is the originals (about .4mm thick) and the brown is the ovaltine lid ( about .8mm thick)

100mm across

58mm tall

38mm wide

8 Likes

That’s awesome. I love that you decided to make your own rings.

Well done. :+1:t4:

The Ovaltine lids are super easy to cut with an exacto knife, you get a bunch of chocolate milk, and the sub bass is killer now. This is obviously the best way to get attenution rings for the X00s.

4 Likes

Plus they’re chocolaty smooth. :yum:

Hello,
Can you messure the thikness from your ovomalitine?
The Dekoni have 0,45 mm but i don’t know what for matrial from the plastic it are.
It give many sort of plastic.
The plastic must it be flexible not hart i think,because the virbration and the impact.

That sub bass is definitely chocolatey smooth. I’m actually quite surprised at how big a difference the thickness if the rings makes. About .8mm thick seems to be great for dat T H I C K B A S S!!!

2 Likes

It’s about .8mm thick and us a very nice soft flexible plastic. It works great from the trstingbive done so far.

2 Likes

yes maybe still possible.
It would be good to know how the thickness of the rings changes the frequency, or whether something is changing in terms of measurement technology.
I think Dekoni did it too, but only with the pads you manufacture and have taken a mediocre somewhere.
I was very surprised when I bought the accessory pads as the difference is with and without a ring.
Speaking of which pads do you have? Would also be important for the imitation :laughing:.
Stupidly asked, it would also be enough if you made a square instead of round and fixed it with double-sided adhesive tape when you had determined the position, right?
or is round better?
Maybe I’m a bit too perfectionistic, I’m already thinking about how to cut the circle more beautifully, grrr … :grin:To make it fit better in the seat of the pad, so you don’t necessarily cut through sharp edges, if you understand it may just be a prototype :sweat_smile:.

I use ZMF Pro lambskin pads. The only difference from the AHG pads is a bit is the Ori pads are a bit thicker.

As long as the rings are 100mm in diameter they will not move around on the pads. If you look at the pictures I posted you can figure out the hole possition with the ruler.

The only real change I’m noticing is the pretty substantial boost in the sub bass (below 50hz). Otherwise it seems to be the same as with the thinner blue rings I was using be for. I’m going to keep testing over the next few days but my first impressions from tonight are all positive.

1 Like

I wonder if the reflections off of the hard plastic affect the sound. Like additional resonance.

That’s the thing, it’s soft and flexible, so I don’t think that’s an issue with using the ovaltine lids.

1 Like

okay, does not sound wrong. So far you have hardly been wrong about this :sweat_smile:.Although you personally have slight concerns that something is going to be done that would be significant again, I find the Zmf a little bit expensive, especially when I come to Germany don’t let it stay at 60 €.
When I learned one thing that the price is not always good, when I bought the Dekoni Elite Hybrid I was so disappointed with it when you presented your pads and came with Accsesorry House pads and tested them yourself for the point where I thought, and no other.
The idea of ​​making rings with the Ovomaltine lids is really not stupid, I’ll give it a try.
Although I’m currently really satisfied with the setup, the Dekoni rings with the Accesorry House pads and the E-mu rosewood cup on the D2000, it even leaves the Denon Ah D7200 stupid when it comes to natural, transparent and open, so I would now reluctant to change anything, even the Tr x00 mahogany that only has the Lawton Mod on it and the Accesorry house pads with the rings, it makes it stand out even more.
he really lacks everything in comparison.
Maybe it would make more sense to test the Ovomaltine rings.:wink:

Working on some testing of my own. And if you’re concerned about pricing on pads, just buy the Accessory House pads. They are the same as ZMF!

3 Likes

A quick warning, the accessory house pads are unavailable on Amazon last I checked, so you will need to get from accessory house directly.

Also great photo

2 Likes

I made a pair of new rings based on your measurements, and it definitely came out better than the one I tried to make on my own. I’m afraid to upload a pic for comparison, that’s how bad the one I originally tested was, lol. But putting that aside, it didn’t make that much of a difference sound-wise, and pretty much all my problems persist. I’ve decided to order those properly manufactured rings from Dekoni, just to reach some sort of conclusion because what I’m actually hearing using these rings is a far cry from what many of you have previously described. I would be shocked if it turned out it sounds the same with the Dekoni rings.
I did another round of testing, and since I wasn’t satisfied with the results I changed just one side back to stock, and made a direct comparison using a tone generator. Obviously the volume had to be adjusted every time I switched sides, and it’s not an immensely reliable test, but the root of my problems quickly became clear, the bass severely lacks clarity with my solution, and it’s not even a matter of punchiness like I first described it, it actually reminds me of noise more than a tone.

The rings and my E-MU ebony cup should arrive early next week, and I’m really looking forward to some more testing. I feel like I’m this close to achieving what I’m looking for, so I have high hopes for it. As for the Lawton tune-up, I have no idea, it’s been 3 weeks since I ordered it to the EU and tracking hasn’t been updated since then. I don’t know how long it’s supposed to take, but I expected them to arrive somewhat sooner.

1 Like