DUNU x Gizaudio DaVinci 2DD+4BA Hybrid In-Ear Earphones

Especially in WhatsApp chats! Hehe.

Great review Jaytiss. You were one of the few reviewers that didn’t find the bass as overwhelming as other people made it out to be. The bass is pretty good to my ears and not overwhelming at all. Maybe the sub bass is a tad high on certain songs (Examples: Dreams-Fleetwood Mac, By your side-Sade) but it helped in many other recordings(70’s rock, Opera tenors). The mid bass is pretty good. Pianos and male vocals sound fantastic. This set is taylor made for Sir Elton John. Pop/Hip hop tracks sound great as well.

5 Likes

I’m so surprised that the bass has been seen as overwhelming on the DaVincis by so many people… The only IEM I’ve ever heard with overwhelming bass was the Scarlet Mini. Apparently, for my ears at least, if your IEM has less than a 20 dB shelf for bass, I’m good to go! :nerd_face:

7 Likes

What sources are you using currently?

Probably most people who reviewed DaVinci don’t prefer that much bass (including myself). Regardless of how much I try to keep my review objective, subjective opinions do creep in.

JDS Labs Atom+ stack for desktop. All the power you’ll need, non-colored DAC – clean as hell in power and presentation. $220 new, much cheaper used.

I’ve run a used Atom+ stack for the last three-plus years and nothing else.

Yes, I have finalised that one since one of my friends is selling his ATOM 2, and getting a good discount.

1 Like

I have the DaVinci. The bass is overwhelming. I had to do the tape mod to cover the DD vents on the shells. The serial number for my DaVinci (printed on the box and also laser etched on the cable) is 240. I have seen squiglink graphs for the pre-production DaVinci and for the “production” version. The production version supposedly has more tame bass, based on feedback from reviewers. So, how does the the DaVinci’s bass sound to you? And what is your DaVinci’s production serial number?

Anything that comes for review. I don’t own a crazy good source.

The DaVinci bass is Puuuuuufect

14 Likes

I encountered Condensation issue with this Mod for few IEMs. Hehe, I stopped doing it for my own good.

2 Likes

And the IEM just doesn’t seem to stay in my ears whenever I apply this mod. The mod did get to few cables as well :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Goood Boy Bass!!

1 Like

Dunu × Gizaudio DaVinci - 300$ Bassy goodnedd

Pros:
● Accessories package
● Midrange tonality
● Good detail retrival and technical performance for this type of tuning
● Good price to performance
● Good Isolation for a vented iem
● Beautiful face plates.

Cons:
● Cable is on the stiffer side
● Poor shell ergonomics with chunky nozzle
● Bass can be much for some people
● Need more energy around 7-10k

Specs And Driver Configuration

● Six-Driver Hybrid Configuration
● DD+4BA Driver Setup Per Side
● Five-Way Frequency Crossover
● Independent Dual-Chamber Dynamic Drivers
● Impedance: 35Ω@1kHz.
● Sensitivity: 109dB/mW
● Net Weight: 6.6g(per earpiece)

Before starting I want to thank @gadgetgod , Dunu and Hifigo for arranging a review tour of this iem.
Purchase link - https://hifigo.com/products/dunu-x-gizaudio-davinci

Accessories Package

If you are active in the iem hobby, Dunu is famous for their unboxing experience and accessories. They do not disappoint this time as well. The accessories provided are quite lavish for the price. Accessories provided in the box include 1. Modular Leo Cable with 3.5mm and 4.4mm plugs, 2. A carrying case 3. Three types of tips like basic balanced tips, Candy tips and people’s beloved S&S tips 4. Quarter inch adapter 5. Cleaning tool. The cable is of very high quality, it feels sturdy and robust. But the cable leans on the stiffer and heavier side.

Design, Fit, and Comfort.

The design of the iem is beautiful. The maple wood faceplate looks absolutely gorgeous. The Iem is slightly on the thicker side, so it sticks out of the ear a bit. Unlike Sa6 mk2, the shells do not have molding of any kind to get a secure fit in the ear, the shells are just flat. Along with that, the nozzles are on the larger side, all this can affect fit and comfort. So, I highly suggest you to tip roll to find the optimum fit. Davinci also provides good isolation, this can be a great iem for traveling and commuting.

Frequency Response

I used divinus velvets and dunu S&S tips for sound evaluation. One unique thing about Davinci is that its sound doesn’t get affected much by tip rolling

Davinci has a warm bassy sound signature with the new school mid-range tuning. Sound is non fatiguing. Let’s take a deep dive into sound.

Bass

Instead of using much popular isobaric configuration, Davinci is using one of its DD driver to produce 10-100 Hz and other DD driver to 100-400Hz. Both drivers are crossed over to produce their own frequency spectrum. Bass is clearly the main focus of this iem’s tuning. It can be a bit much for some people, but I can understand, what Dunu and Gizaudio were trying to achieve. The sub-bass hits deep and low. It has good rumble and texture. The mid-bass thump and slam is also good for the price. Bass over all lacks speed in my opinion. Mid-bass can get boomy on mid-bass heavy tracks. But for the price the bass performance is above average in my opinion. What ever you say, this amount of bass is addicting, on right tracks when bass comes you have no choice but to laugh in joy. Overall I like the bass on this iem.

Mids

Mids are good despite having this amount of bass. I love the mids on this iem. Instruments like guitar, cello, violin, piano, flute, Indian bansuri sounds fantastic. They are so natural and beautiful sounding. Female vocals are on the warmer and lush side, they have enough body and heft. Male vocals shines on these iems, they are powerful, full bodied and soleful. I have no issues with the vocals. Mids are not too forward or recessed they have perfect representation.

Treble

The treble compliments the warm and bassy sound signature. It is not overly boosted. There is a small dip at around 4-6k which prevents sharpness and sibilance. There is also a dip at around 7-10k, which further compliments the laid back nature of this iem. But, for my personal preference, I want more energy there, to balance out the bass. After that there is a wide peak in the air region at around 13k, this helps balance out the sound and increase micro detail pickup. But, in my opinion dunu should have opted for Air region shelf instead of peak, to further enhance the sound. All in all, I can say Davinci’s treble is there to make the overall sound cohesive instead of grabbing your attention towards it.

Detail retrieval and Technical Performance

Davinci handles busier passages of the tracks well, it prevents any congestion in the sound that can happen with this type of tuning. Detail retrieval is also very good, without boosting the treble. Macro detail pick up is good and micro detail pick is also excellent. The stage is not the widest but it presents front and back depth well. Instrument separation and layering is good enough and imaging is done well as well.

Conclusion

I really liked my time with this iem, it is a very well-done rendition of warm bassy sound. This can be a good iem for people who are treble sensitive or want a warm bassy set with good technical performance.

If you want an iem which can proficiency play multiple genres of music, you can consider this iem. This is a great offering by Dunu it fills the gap that is present in the 300 dollar segment and it gets thumbs up from my end.

6 Likes

which cable are you using with your Davinci?

2 Likes

That was the Golden Bodhi by Hakugei

2 Likes

looks beautiful paired with davinci❤️

1 Like

Agreed - it is a stunning cable for sure.

3 Likes

I tried the tape mod to see how it sounded. The mod cut down the sub bass but it also eroded the mid bass. It threw the sound completely off and unbalanced. It sounded awful to my ears. If you’re doing the tape mod to cut down the bass then this iem might not be for you. In a perfect world the sub bass could be -2 to -3db and mid bass -1 to -2db lower to transition into the wonderful midrange. The Vinki tuning is good to my ears, it may not satisfy every music track but overall is pretty enjoyable.

How would you compare DaVinci to similarly priced IEMs in terms of tech only ?

1 Like