Earbuds Discussion Thread

Looks like we may have went with the same combo. Did you go with the translucent shells too?

5 Likes

I think mine will come with clear shells but I’m not too bothered either way tbh.

That’ll be sick in its own way. I don’t know enough about why but, Jim said the translucent shells were better for the tuning/sound. Was originally wanting solid black. Better to go with his rec and word though so got the translucent

2 Likes

Damn we’ll have Lawton doing shells next :smile:

1 Like

@MMag05 Just got a conformation from Jim…clear shells and purple cable it is for me :smiley:

3 Likes

DX312 > Serratus

Amazing how a wee bud can club it :sound::loud_sound::tada:

2 Likes

Could the translucent shells be better for sound due to a thinner material? This is just me assuming but maybe adding a color to the shell adds just enough density to change the tuning, maybe it’s in a very subtle way, but guys like TGX are all about those details. Being very meticulous with their craft is what makes an artist, an artist if you ask me.
But someone like @Rikudou_Goku probably forgets more than I’ll ever know about this sort of thing.

I’m audiophile shallow just liked the look of the clear shell with the purple cable :joy:

Translucent shells are made of PMMA (acrylic) or polycarbonate, while standard ones are most likely from ABS or PBT-ABS granulate and they may differ in density by up to 25% (transparent being denser). The higher mass, the higher inertia, so harder to get the shell to resonating frequency :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I was onto something I guess, thank you for your expert input, brother!

@GooberBM this would explain why Jim said the SSB serratus sounds slightly different than the regular one. Im not even more interesting in hearing the difference!

1 Like

This is also interesting because now there are 3 versions of bell shells (ed: for serratus) - stainless steel, aluminium and resin and apparently each sound notably different - and apparently each sounds very good in its own type of tuning

1 Like

Hustle, Jim, hustle.

You know there are people that own 4 different versions of Serratus out there

3 Likes

He did a red and clear shelled serratus so the the clear one’s wack?..oh and they came with different cables too :upside_down_face:…Reckon your source would make a bigger difference tbh :+1:

1 Like

to be fair there is a graphable difference between metal and resin shells. I think it was Michael Bruce or Paul Wasabi who graphed the resin and metal EJ07m and say the resin one mellowed out the peak at around 2-3k

1 Like

And quality of you power grid!!! 111

There are some differences, but they are minor. Choose for comfort and looks.

2 Likes

Mines 100% battery/pure sine wave :ferry::innocent:

2 Likes

In EJ07M I believe the geometry of the shells between resin and metal is different (thicker walls in resin, more air in metal), so not really the same apple to apple comparison as in Jim’s bells.

1 Like

That’d a good point. It also has a different nozzle length

For sure Jim would never release anything that he wasn’t 100% happy with, shell or bell composition, cable materials etc…OCD is a big thing when you’re that passionate about what you do…I know this.

6 Likes