Edifier S3000Pro discussion topic

It’s so comfy under your desk xD

1 Like

Just listened to one of those Billie Eilish songs and didn’t hear anything unwanted. Engaged my bass boost eq setting and still solid.

I’m very happy with my Edifiers, although there is a little anomaly with the optical input. It is connected to my 5y old Samsung TV, when you turn the telly the left speaker works only… when you change the source to Coax and back to Optical the right one comes alive as well. It also happenes when you open a new App, first it is left only then, switching sources and tadam you have both speakers. Have you experienced any issues with the optical input or is it only me?

1 Like

question to those who already own these: how do they sound at a low/relaxing volume? ( for listening at the desk while working)

3 Likes

They sound very nice- extremely clear in the higher and mid range. I chose to pair them with a Rogersound Labs 10" subwoofer because I felt they’d benefit. I was right :slight_smile: Even at low volumes there’s righteous full range sound that I feel spoiled by in an office desktop system.

1 Like

Only an issue if you’re switching sample rate or bit depth I think.

I listen to them all day at low volume and they are great. Very detailed even at low volume.

I want to thank everyone for this thread. I have a set of S3000 Pros. I thought there was no way I could use these monsters at my desk. It sounds like they will be a good fit! Love everyone’s setup.

1 Like

Anyone care to show their 2.1 setup? I’m thinking of grabbing the Emotiva SE12 for the office and interested to know how to put these together.

I added the SE8 and its amazing, one time I pushed it and it bottomed out, in retrospect it was perfect for my small office but the 12 is probably the way to go for any space larger than an office.

4 Likes

This video is what you want:

1 Like

Thank you. Likely going with the SE12. My office is pretty large and will be done this Saturday!

Very excited to be back up and running.

3 Likes

Please send pics are your going

1 Like

I also own the s3000pro. I love these speakers. I read that a few people don’t think the bass is loud or deep enough. I’m surprised, because I really believe they shine on that department. When I bought them they filled my quite large living room with quality textured bass. Loud or subtle when needed. If I ran a sweep they were clear and very audible to 33 hertz.

When I moved to another house I had to deal with a new living room and acoustics. Now the low end was very bad on one side of the room and much better on the other side of the room. My girlfriend won the war of appearance and I was left with bad sounding s3000’s on the poor side of the room… This was a little bit painfull especially that I knew what they supposed to sound like.

In my office in the house I used the edifier s2000pro (same tweeter and I fell in love with that sound) So I switched the speakers and I connected de s2000pro with the Edifier T5, because also the s2000 suffered from lacking low end because of the room.

In my Office the s3000’s sounded great again and even up close I can produce the audible 33hz tones again while my desk is rumbling with quality bass.

Now I know that there is a world beyond 33hz, but I also read that somebody set the crossover to 275Hz. That makens no sense to me. I really think that there are room interferences holding back the sound that you suppose to hear from these speakers.

I always use a test track to hear if a speaker has a decent low end. And I use Daft Punk with the song “doin it right” . It has 3 bass tones that get repeated through the song On 0:21 it starts the first tone 0:24 second and 0:26 the third. I read that the last tone sits between 30-50 hz. The last tone here rumbled and shaked my couch in my old house! In my new living room the last one was not audible and anyone would think that the speaker was lacking low end, meanwhile it is poor placement.

If you really like more bass than it is a personal opinion, because sound is always personal, (a friend of mine likes a little boosted midbass, what came free with his room. I hate it…) but I really doubt that people wouldn’t think the s3000 have great low end when placed right. And with great low end (sub and mid) I also mean textured, defined etc.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct. I had no bass. Pushed the speakers a little further to the wall and the room is now shaking, as if I added a subwoofer. I have the bass knob to 2 though, but even without the knob is good enough I think. Maybe just my room requires to twist the knob a bit. Did you mess with that knob?

Does anyone know how these would compare to the Fives from Klipsch? I am torn between the two of them and not sure which way to go. In terms of headphones, I have the HD600’s, HD800s and Shure SHR840 to give an indication of what I like for the rest.

Ideally powered speakers and other suggestions would work if you can think of anything other than the above 2.

My room boosts lows a little so I adjusteds it to -1.5 DB

I just got these and my first impression wasn’t that good to be honest. I’d love to hear input on my findings, what I’m maybe doing wrong and if I should maybe consider a studio monitor like the Adam 8. Some songs are amazing (classical OSTs, acoustic music, electronic) while some rock/metal gets grating. I messed with placement a little to reduce the treble a bit.
I put them in a small apartment living room at my desk on the matching stands. They’re standing almost 5ft apart, 9.5 inches off the wall, aimed forward and i’m sitting a bit forward within the equidistant triangle. I found that helped with the treble. The room has mostly live surfaces: wood floor, bare walls, behind me 2 couches, lounge chair, coffee table and rug. Hallway on the left, curtain on the right.
They are fed XLR from the TEAC UD-H01 DAC via 3ft klotz basic cable. I also ordered their top-end cable and should come in soon. I also tested over bluetooth with the phone with similar results.

Negatives I found:

• high mids (2k - 5k region) can get sharp and fatiguing, especially listening to rock/metal. I do tend to be a little sensitive to this region. By comparison, I love my Audeze LCD2 for everything.
  • high bass notes and lower vocal tones fall a bit flat relatively to the rest, might be the room
  • I can’t put this in the praised ‘dynamic’ mode because it’s murder treble, I keep it on classic or monitor
  • playing side-by-side with a full analog speaker setup, there is a notable delay from the digital processing. (must be 100ms or less, I can’t exactly tell). Something to keep in mind for rhythm game players.

(Big) positives:

• detail and imaging
  • nice and accurate bass, except the upper registers of the bass guitars
  • versatility (but wasn’t really my priority)
  • design

I bought these for being nice detailed but easy listening speakers that can do good bass, but maybe I’m better off with a monitor pair? They sound like you can easily monitor on them once you’re used to the bass.

Might be a obvious question.
Have you tried to lowering the treble, does it help or will it mess things up more?

I found this and few measuring chart.

There seems to be ~3-5db lift on treble range with Vocal, Dynamic and Classic modes.

You could the try the Monitor mode for more flat response.

On every chart, there is a tiny boost on 2-5k range. That might be the peak you notice that is raping ur ears. Would hate it also and would EQ it out.

If situation does not improve. Different speaker might be in order.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for clarifying the mode differences with that review! Yes I did lower the treble by about -3 on the knob, but I felt it mostly touched stuff above 6k. That review is very helpful and it makes sense that the ‘presence boost’ is showing up in measurements. If only he scaled it to ±10dB scale and not full scale for readability :). Looks like I’m not crazy. I’ll keep using it in monitor mode and see how it goes.

EDIT
I messed with placement principles keeping it in monitor mode. This helps, but then I had a great idea: TUBES! I deployed the littledotmk2 upgraded with a set of mullard M8100 as an RCA pre-amp. This rounds off the treble and adds some more mid warmth. This is now sounding pretty dang pleasing.

2 Likes