đŸ”· Emotiva BasX A-100

If you are okay with “temporary solutions”

+

+

220 Ohm Or 100 Ohm

No soldering, just screwing in stuff :wink:
Will look kinda janky, but for trying things out, will be alright.

1 Like

With your headphones, it’s not likely you will need to ever add the jumpers, even with the Hifiman and Beyerdynamic headphones. I run my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and i get plenty of volume and no noise. Alternatively, if you are running very sensitive, low ohm headphones on the amp, you may get some noise.

Well, it also isn’t as though those are my forever headphones. I still plan to buy and try other headphones.

Understood. I’m just saying this amp can handle A LOT of headphones without ever needing to add the jumper. It’s a pretty capable amp. I wouldn’t consider modding unless absolutely necessary.

Haven’t gotten to listen yet but for the price, and that huge toroidal, I just think the aesthetic and sheer power would be hard to beat, refinement aside

1 Like

I mean, I know it can handle most any headphone without the jumpers, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t gonna give it a go to try it out. My biggest problem with the damn thing is that there is no f’n indicator on the volume knob.

Does anyone have any experience with these and rb42? I have them running off of pa3 and was wondering if they perform better with a100

Having no indicator is a pain in the ass for sure. I just go by ear and make sure the volume is all the way down when I’m done using it.

I’m sure they would perform better with this amp.

1 Like

Gonna listen pre page 11 mod first

1 Like

Getting some sitcky back arrow should not be too hard, right?

The last screw in my Bass X is basically embedded into the thing and won’t screw out. Any suggestions?
Edit , actually the back 2 and the back left side are embedded. Some kind of trick with oil or something, because these mofos aren’t coming unscrewed.

Take out the screws in the sides first.
I used a size 2 Philips head, seemed to fit the heads the best. For max force without stripping the head, hold the screwdriver like this guy holds a knife while holding the case from the front with your other hand.

Also remember: Righty tighty, lefty loosy.

1 Like

Yeah I chatted up Emotiva and they said a #2 as well so I went out a bought one and presto it worked. Thanks for the input

1 Like

Holy shit. Just tried it without the jumpers and then with. Once you’ve got the jumpers on, you’re cooking with gas. Wow

6 Likes

Use a small piece of red, yellow or green electrical tape or part of a colorful sticker as a tiny little line marker for your volume knob.

1 Like

She’s pretty on the inside and that’s all that matters

4 Likes

Oh yeah she is!

2 Likes

Pretty on the outside as well. As far as the noise floor? I’ve found this amp likes to be connected directly into the wall outlet. Plugging it into my power strip along with my PC and monitor created a higher noise floor. It was also weird because when I touched any part of it the noise floor would go silent. Almost like my body was grounding the frame. This is all with the jumpers in of course.

4 Likes

The BasX assumes the ground of whatever source it has (the torroidal acts as a transformer isolator).
I just checked by connecting myself to its ground and then measureing difference to various components along the signal chain.

WARNING! Always ensure current paths are not through your chest!

The noise is just how Class A works, bias voltage bleeds through the transistors and whatever is connected.
Good read on transistor biasing

2 Likes