Expensive Comfortable Open Backs

I forgot to mention that my listening experience is largely with the universe suede pads that are the highly recommended option (and I agree), but there are three other pad options that are leather but also extremely comfy as well. If you go this page: https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads and you click on the aeolus tab, it will show the general pad choices and I think I agree with the descriptions. I think the universe suede fit what you want from my experience with all of them.

1 Like

Hmmm, depends on what you decide to focus your budget on I guess lol

1 Like

How would you describe how they sound so far?

Iā€™m not an iem guy. I appreciate the Andromedas, but think I am set with those. I will take a chance on $100-ish iems, but I think I personally get way more from a ~ $2000 headphone than I would from an iem in the same range

2 Likes

Very good detail while still having a warm ish sound with great bass, and also not really fatiguing in any way. I donā€™t think itā€™s the most detail you could get for the price, but with this type of headphone you arenā€™t after that anyway. Bass can get a bit out of control at times but itā€™s fun when that happens lol (sometimes). More amp picky than I thought it would be. Prefer them on a tube for sure. The soundstage is pretty natural and the imaging complements this. Layering can be a bit strange at times though. Overall I think its a refined version of a typically unrefined sound, and is worthwhile owning

1 Like

I like to be able to be mobile if need be its why I like the Meze Empyreans case cuz while they are not the most mobile I can take it in a car or whatever

Diana v2 is very good for this (although they might a bit more amp picky than the Empyreans)

I may have to see diana v2 in person cuz even after watching the vids dms did and stuff they still look cheap not on the same level of quality as empyreans or zmf.

It really makes me want to explore the rest of their open lineup

1 Like

Which pads are you using? Iā€™ve read a lot of conflicting reports, but it sounds like the angled pads that are installed are WEIRD to some people, and the flat pads bring out the headphones capabilities

Flat pads were what I was using as I liked the sound more

Dang you gotta see them in person. Much better built than they look, unlike with other headphones they look better built than they are

ok, that was my plan to start with. I can experiment with the weird 3d soundstage from the angled pads after I get used to it

Yeah so the angled pads were interesting for a time being but it really wasnā€™t something I would buy the headphones for

The Empyrean case is nice, but Iā€™d almost always rather pay less to get a headphone without the the case vs. with because I really never use them. If it could reduce the cost, Iā€™d rather have that option

same with focals look like something I would pick up at target.

I doubt that case is very portable either (correct me if Iā€™m wrong)

The diana v2 come with a very nice and practical portable case

ZMF, most Audeze, a lot of Focals all include a case and Iā€™d rather keep it out on a stand than tucked away, but I am a bit of a slob

Yeah I can agree with that one lol. I really like my pairs but man do the pictures not do them justice

1 Like

The focal case is pretty nice, but still a bit bulky as the headphones are kinda large, and the case sometimes look like a purseā€¦