Experiencing Planar Magnetic

+1 to the sundara

1 Like

I have a Schiit Hel, which seems to have enough power to drive most things. I use it with the 6XX now.
I also have a BTR5.

Are these the same as these?

The listing doesn’t mention planar. Some websites do, some don’t. It’s so confusing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07995MGX7

What about the Dekoni Blue Fostex @ Drop? Anybody heard these? https://drop.com/buy/dekoni-fostex-blue-planar-magnetic-headphones

I have the Dekoni blues, and they are among my least favorite headphones, but I don’t like any of the TX0RP headphones I’ve listened to, the Bass to mid transition to me is something i can’t get past.
But some people seem to like them so YMMV.

1 Like

Can’t remember what’s so special bout those T60rps other than the design is different and it’s practically already partially modded. As for the rest of the series. T20rp is the open back version with a lot more bass, T40rp is your closed back, and T50rp is what is considered the best sounding and is semi open back meanwhile dekoni blue is something of a bright or V signature sounding headphone and it’s already modified. The headphone is practically designed to be modded.

If you want to go in on the cheap, a forum member is selling a 4XX - Buy/Sell Thread :slight_smile:

:edit: price drop to $105.

2 Likes

Yes, by TXRP I meant the X to mean 20, 50, or 60. That series has small (50mm maybe?) planar magnetic drivers. Your Schiit Hel may actually struggle to drive that series of headphones. They are power hungry and when underpowered, it’s the bass that get most affected. They become boomy and sloppy in the low end.

Yes, that’s the set of T50 mods that I own. @Polygonhell is right that they can be a bit much in the mid-bass to bass transition region. Pad swapping helps quite a bit, IMO. I put Shure 1540 pads on mine and they sound pretty good. TBH, though, they don’t sound ‘planar’ to me. In fact, they sound like a slightly less refined and detailed version of the Massdrop - Fostex TR-X00 Purplehearts. They have a very similar V shaped signature. But the X00’s are biodynamic drivers. That’s one reason I say the T50RP based headphones don’t sound ‘planar’. The planar drivers by HiFiMan and Audeze are HUGE. The sound wave that hits your ears covers more area. That creates a bit different sound than a dynamic driver based headphone. IMO, the T50 mods lack that “big planar” sound characteristic.

This is not to say one should avoid T50-based headphones. I think the T50 line is an assett in the <$500 category. They take really well to modding and pad rolling so there’s a lot one can learn from playing around with them. When tinkered-with well, their sound is pretty good too.

1 Like

Carl? Is that you?

It does, it seems to be able to handle a good boost in the bass without distortion as long as the power is there.

1 Like

@fxxr Some good info here for you. I bought 4xx first and now have the Sundara. No contest. Sundara is better all around, so add my vote to that list.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. Very useful feedback. I’ll let you know when I get something :smiley:

Sundara is setting the bar high as I love the 4xx already. I can’t wait to try it out.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help!
I bought the Sundaras today :slight_smile:
Should have them on Monday.

7 Likes

@fxxr Congrats. Welcome to the club. PS Love mine!!

1 Like

Got T40RP as my first planar. If I can put it in one word vs. my dynamic phones, it would be “smooth”. And bass is impressive.

what would be a good planar headphone to run with a FiiO m5? i still have all the basic gear.

What’s your budget? There aren’t exactly many planars considered good that is easy to drive. Your options are the deva, the Penrose, mobius, and panda.

its not a big budget but probably up to $300 at max

edit - nvm…saw the post was pre-rage quit.

hey GB! firstly, welcome to hFG!

second…consider upgrading your stack so you can power future headphones properly. on the Buy & Sell thread someone has a Magni 3 and Modi 3 stack for $125, which is a screaming deal to start out solid.

then, save up a bit and get the Sundara, or if you’re super impatient, look for a used HE-4xx. :slight_smile: