šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

I am no longer using Hiby Music app for my iem FiiO FH3. Iā€™m using UAPP now + phone + FiiO Q3 dac-amp. With bit perfect mode (no EQ at all), the sound just gets better. I also off bass boost on Q3. The bass mid and treble, everything just perfect for me. I donā€™t know what else to ask. I just did tips rolling too, bought Deep Mount Radius (size XS) as per @Rikudou_Goku recommendation. It is very comfortable to my small ears, sounds good too. I also use 4.4 balanced copper cable, which enhances the soundstage and dynamics. This FH3 is really a good all rounder. This is my only iem other than Tin Hifi T5, which is inferior

3 Likes

How it happened? U heat gun it? Under hot sun?

As far as I could discern, there are only two to three things holding the mmcx port in place: a small amount of adhesive (CA glue, I think) under the port within its slot and a small internal faceplate extrusion which theoretically locks the port from being able to be pulled out of the socket once both are in place. The faceplate itself is also fastened in place with some strong jell-like adhesive.

Since the mmcx connection is so tight on this IEM, if the port was not properly secured into place with an appropriate amount/ strength adhesive and the faceplate adhesive were not strong enough to hold it alone, one could simply end up being able to rotate the entire port within its slot on purpose or on accident which would simultaneously pull on the internal wires and have the effect of pushing the faceplate away from the locking position. One could notice the physical effects of this as a somewhat ā€˜wigglyā€™ mmcx cable connection (which is actually port wiggle), a slight rise in the position of the faceplate, and even some exposed faceplate adhesive (which just ends up getting smudged away over time).

In this case a proper amount/ strength adhesive just holding the faceplate in place could permit the port to be fastened strong enough for the iem to still work but with potential auditory issues on the left and or right channels (since the internal wires are being jostled). If the faceplate adhesive was not adequate to begin with or enough of it has come off over time then an owner could end up on purpose or on accident being able to rotate the entire socket in place and destroy one or two of the internal port connections. If both are destroyed then the port can come out. Thus explaining some of the online reviews for the FH3 Left/Right Channel imperfections/ imbalances, as well as entire ports being ripped out on accident.

In my case, the left piece port had already become wiggly enough because no adhesive was holding it down in its socket, the faceplate had already risen enough because the port was wiggling it out of position as the cable was rotated, and enough of the faceplate adhesive had already been smudged off, that I could just use my fingernail to pry the faceplate off.

Fiio could either have used screws or used more/better adhesive, in any case locked the mmcx port into place a little better and or not have implemented such a strong mmcx connection, these issues could have been prevented, this should not be an issue with a $100+ IEM.

Sooo - Iā€™m coming late-ish to the FH3 party, but seriously glad I got them. Finally got the right seal - didnā€™t at first with sf145s but went back to them tip rolling and now I do. Not sure why but maybe I picked up a different pair out of the ziplock bag - still now it works, so Iā€™m good. The comfort of the fit on these is really good, I mean seriously good, so good I get to the point where I forget I have anything in my ears. (Probably also influenced by the fact that the Teas do sit deep.) I love the build and the metal shells, feel solid but not too heavy.

I bought a set of Legacy 2s before the FH3s arrived, which is a pity as the L2s are now redundant. At the time I thought the L2s were good (and they still are), but to my ears and for my library the FH3s take it up another level. On listening to the FH3s and then back to the L2s, the L2s now just sound a bit ā€œthinā€ in comparison. I donā€™t know what pixie dust FiiO used in the FH3s but thereā€™s something about the bass that is addictive but at the same time doesnā€™t overwhelm. Itā€™s got a ā€œweightā€ that the L2s just canā€™t seem to get close to. By the way, I put words in quotes as I really struggle with trying to describe what I hear - so bear with me.

Iā€™m still on the journey of trying to find the sound that hits the spot for me, but in the FH3s it was a bit of a light bulb moment as it feels like I have hit on a particular signature that really works well for me. I feel like Iā€™ve now got a benchmark that I can really relate to.

4 Likes

You should have bought FiiO FD3 instead. Few people prefer that over FH3. Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. It is amazing when audio stuff sounds better and better. I canā€™t imagine how $2000 iem can sound. Will try it one day.

My setup is phone+UAPP (bitperfect mode) +FiiO Q3 +FiiO FH3 +4.4 copper cable.

I did tips rolling last week, Radius Deep Mount is the best sounding, fit and comfortable for me. Based on @Rikudou_Goku recommendation. But some songs give a little harshy treble. So I put face mask filter on iem nozzle .

After that is stock tips white-grey. I got another stock tips from iem Tin Hifi T5, also good. It looks like Sony Hybrid tips.

Now Iā€™m waiting SpinFit CP100 to arrive. Very cheap in AliExpress

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: :large_orange_diamond: FiiO FD3/FD3 Pro

All BA driver will have tube right? Not just open inside nozzle?

UPDATE: Radius deep mount tips sounds better than SpinFit CP100. Cp100 sounds a bit congested/ muddy. Maybe due to its soft core. RDM gives best transparency, accuracy, nice sub bass and treble extension, and isolation. RDM mushroom shape locks inside ear canal.

At first I thought CP100 has better fit and comfort, but I was wrong. 3-5 hours RDM is comfortable, while CP100 feels very slightly ā€˜something insideā€™ canal. Not like Foam tips though (expanding feel).

Updated EQ

Got my first new IEM in a long time in the form of the Timeless. I set these aside and didnā€™t listen to them at all for the first day or so that those were here, didnā€™t want to do any comparisons so I could give the Timeless a good shot entirely on its own. I really enjoy them.

I put these back in tonight, did a quick swap from one set to the other. Oof. These still win. By enough that I now regret even getting the Timeless. Itā€™s a damn good set but if I want to swap from my headphones to an IEM I have no reason to go for those instead of these.

Iā€™ve been doing a lot of research into endgame IEMs, given my success here, maybe I should be looking at Fiio flagships instead of everywhere else.

2 Likes

Wow what do you prefer about FH3? I gave mine away since getting Timeless. Maybe give them some more time (pun not intended)

This set is just way more visceral in its delivery, slams harder, sparkles more up top, stuff like that. Planar is kinda clean and inoffensive across the board, which I like, as thatā€™s what my headphones are, but when I want a change up these bring the impact in a way that the Timeless simply canā€™t touch. Since I listen to really aggressive music this delivery tends to compliment it.

4 Likes

Oh yeah thatā€™s fair enough. Iā€™m tempted to pickup a strong dd for that punch to complement the planar at some point.

I feel you. I really really like Fiioā€™s sets, they do have a more forward sound and not everyone is into it. Super neutral sets always sound a bit boring to me.

I have the FD3s, and the FD7s now, highly recommended. BGGAR has a nice review of the FD7s if youā€™re looking for flagship. Iā€™ll also say if youā€™re into the Fiio sound, you might check out the Dunu Zens.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve checked out the Zen, but I think Iā€™m looking for a hybrid or a tribrid. Since Iā€™ve owned multiple single driver sets over the years Iā€™d like to hear what the more busy sets are doing. Either that or a full BA, very curious about those since a few have come out lately.

Fiio also just came out with a new set, the FH9 with 1 DD and 6 BAs. I really wish they posted graphs on their site though.

2 Likes

Glad I didnā€™t go with the Timeless manā€¦ I am enjoying the FH3 more and more. I got an LC-RC Fiio cable as well to connect it balanced to the BTR5 and it scaled very nicely.
I always look for the next step up thoughā€¦ Missing some energy at low treble I think. Cymbals and allā€¦ I have my eyes on the Oracle at the moment. But FH3 still rocks.

I upped the treble, that was the one thing in stock that I knew right away I was going to need to adjust. Didnā€™t need a lot and they took to it really well.

Yeap, thatā€™s what they need I guess, unfortunately for me the BTR5 doesnā€™t do well with EQ. Maybe I get a Qudelix instead of a new pair of iems? :yum:

How much better would the Oracle be? FH3 already has so much detail. And I guess more bass?

Thatā€™s the real question. I donā€™t know what ā€œbetterā€ sounds like from here. At this price point youā€™d have to think itā€™s missing something that ā€œhigh endā€ sets have going for them but idk. These being on the cheaper side of the hobby makes me think we should have a ways to go before diminishing returns start to hit really hard, but Iā€™ve never heard a set in the mid or upper price points so I have no idea.

This is where the lack of demo sets really irks me.

1 Like

If you love a set, stop. Your wallet will thank you and your sanity as well! :slight_smile:

3 Likes