šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

The cable on the FD1 doesnt seem that special though? :joy:

Why didnt you like the FD1? Seems a lot of people like it over at head-fi. Have you tried taping it? Seems to change the sound a lot.

1 Like

That stock cable looks pretty rigid based on your photo. How flexible is it?

It is pretty stiff, as you can see in the pictures. I cant really ā€œroll it upā€ so it takes less space.

I changed it to the Faaeal litz copper cable.

1 Like

I am treble sensitive and the treble was the worst Iā€™ve heard on any IEM. I could not handle it. I returned it.

It wasnā€™t, but I like the look of it. It was the only reason I was thinking of keeping it.

1 Like

ouch! yeah I am also treble sensitive ( to the 3k area) and the FH3 isnt triggering my treble alarm lol.

Hope you can handle it too, as I am not very sensitive to the upper treble.

1 Like

There are many cables that are cheaper that looks like that though.

1 Like

IEMs are actually making me appreciate treble done well. My L3 has no treble and is very dark. In comparison, the Mangird Tea is much more bright and detailed and I love it. It strikes that perfect balance of detail yet not being fatiguing or too sibilant with vocals. The FD1 was horribly sibilant.

1 Like

yeah there are basically 3 main ways to do treble in iems as far as I experienced.

1. No treble quantity, very dark and most likely with loose bass so it ends up being very muddy and unclean. (VE Bonus IE)

2. Chi-fi way, boost the lower treble to make it seem like the details and extension is very good (AKA ā€œfake detailsā€) while it ISNT and also ends up being shouty/sharp/sibilant. (most KZ)

3. High amounts of treble with good extension, but not sharp at all. the better way and most refined. (LZ A6, Tin Hifi P1)

Bonus 4. Some very rare iems doesnt have a lot of treble but can still be VERY detailed. (AKA the Shuoer Tape with EQ).

4 Likes

ā€¦my vocabulary isnt good enough to describe how much I enjoy the FH3ā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

Well here are my impressions on the FH3:

Treble is very good in refinement, not peaky for me at all except for like 1 out of the hundreds of songs I went through. Extension is good and there is air (of course my LZ A6 puts it back in its place in terms of air and extension lol).

Mids are very evenly balanced with the treble and the male/female vocal balancing are also very good. Both male and female vocals are detailed and very natural sounding.

Technicalities such as timbre, soundstage, instrument separation and details are very good too.

And the abolute best partā€¦the bass. Oh boy does it put a smile on my face. IT IS NEAR IDENTICAL TO THE URBANFUN ISS014!!! Hell it is actually a tiny bit faster and tighter than the urbanfun!

(The urbanfun is dead in my book becasue of their damn qc problems but even without factoring in that, the FH3 does EVERYTHING better than it and also takes the bass that made the urbanfun famous)

8 Likes

Listening to them right now and this is the sound of what I expect my ā€œend gameā€ to sound like. Everything sounds perfect to my ears. Iā€™ll have to see if anything changes after burn in. I hope not! Way to go Fiio!

They sound smoother and have tighter more defined bass than the FH7. The separation and sound stage on the FH7 might be a little larger but not by much. Everything actually sounds more unified on the FH3.

The cable is the only part of this IEM that is lacking. They obviously cut corners with the cable to reduce cost which is fine with me. It works.

Iā€™d like to hear someone who has an Andromeda compare it to the FH3.

4 Likes

Iā€™m interested to hear a quick comparison between the fh3 and the oh10 if anyone has both.

2 Likes

Would love to but the FH3 isnā€™t easy to come by in the uk :grimacing: and no iā€™m not gonna order off of HifiGo LOL.

1 Like

I am wondering what they could do if they added some more driversā€¦

Review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fh3.24543/reviews#item-review-24105

Grade: S

Speechless on how good it is at this priceā€¦it might dethrone the LZ A6 as my favorite iem or at the very least shares the nr 1 spot.

6 Likes

Sometimes more is not better. FH5 & FH7 are in no way ā€œbetterā€ than the FH3 and they both have more drivers.

1 Like

yeah I know, but they have different tuning right?

I believe that having more drivers will help with the potential of it, meaning it COULD sound even better (technicalities) but it is most likely harder to tune it. So depending on how they do it, it might be worse (just as the current FH7 is).

Great write up man thank you, will be interesting to compare against the legacy 3ā€™s

Thanks, I unfortunately dont have the L3 so I cant comment on it.

1 Like

Great review! Agree with just about all of your opinions. You made me want to listen to the LZ A6, but with its timber and recessed mids, I know I would preffer the FH3. Itā€™s great to read the comparisons!

1 Like