đŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

I also tried the FH3 balanced, but I decided to ditch the 2.5mm cable exactly because I mostly use 3.5mm connectors. To be honest I didn’t hear a difference anyway, the FH3 don’t really require much power so I guess the differences would be small. My ears aren’t as refined as others in this forum though :stuck_out_tongue:. Thing is with the adapters that you can also have the wrong adapter apparently, and finding out which one you need is not always that straightforward.

Edit:
And by the way, I am off the opinion that mmcx should be purged from this world. Even with the mmcx assist I’m not comfortable swapping them out. Tbh, even without swapping them out I’m not particularly comfortable using it.

1 Like

I was a Shure user for more than a decade and never had any issues with MMCX, the shells actually broke more often than the cable, granted I stuck with stock.

Just needed to say that I am absolutely in love with the bass texture of my FH3. I can’t imagine going for any IEM without a beryllium DD in the future. Heard the FD5 to test too, at that time I couldn’t justify paying double the price for essentially a minor upgrade, but man, it might have been great to have that giant 12mm beryllium DD!

Very subjective of course, but I actually prefer the FH3 over the FD5 overall. I returned the FD5 and am either going to buy an LZ A7 or just stick with the FH3 for now. The FD5 is not an upgrade over the FH3, in the sense that it’s a different sound and not the same sound but better. If you love the FH3 there is no guarantee that you’re going to love the FD5 more or even the same.

2 Likes

To me, the FD5 sounded close to an FH3 with a little more treble and detail. Treble sounded a little nicer, probably because it does not have Ba timbre? Not sure, I am still quite new to all of this.
I personally really liked the FD5, and thought it was quite close to the FH3 in FR.

1 Like

I agree that the FD5 has more treble and detail, but my “issue” (I think it’s an excellent set don’t get me wrong) is that the mids are more recessed than those of the FH3. I like my mids and I don’t need much upper bass, so the FH3 suits my preferences better. I have to admit that I haven’t been able to distinguish BA timbre yet in the FH3 or in any other BA set, just don’t know what to look for I guess. I do hear “good” or “bad” timbre, but I wouldn’t dare to guess when something had BA timbre or not.

If you like mids then going from the FH3 to the FD5 is indeed a big change for the worse. Since the FH3 actually has quite forward mids while the FD5 does not.

I currently use the black (balanced) stock ear tips in size L and was planning to get some spinfits. My actial size for the stock tips would be a little smaller than L, between M and L. Which size of spinfits would fit me then? Also, do I need CP100 or CP145? Or something else?
Thanks in advance

This sounds much better to my ears. Default black tips btw.

Here is Oratory1990’s EQ compensated for Crinacle’s target

And here is what I settled on.

3 Likes

is there significant sound improvement when u change cable 3.5 SE to 2.5 bal? what brand? I’m thinking to upgrade my FH3 cable FiiO LC3.5B to LC4.4C (or Faaeal litz copper). But should I concern if in future I want to use adapter 4.4female-3.5male? u mentioned might damage dac/amp. Thanks in advance

Balanced → single ended works, single ended → balanced does not work.

1 Like

Also keep in mind unless you need the extra output power, IEM cables are usually not long enough to really need balanced output.

thanks. I understand now

IMO, no there is not a significant difference. I use the faaeal litz cable because I like it more than the included cable, and I’ve used a balanced cable before. I don’t hear a significant difference between the 3.5mm and 2.5mm output of my BTR5. I changed back to 3.5mm because i sometimes also use it on a different source, and only the btr5 has the 2.5mm.

noted. If that’s the case. I won’t look for an upgrade cable then. Keep it low and enjoy my FH3 ,for now. But look for upgrade IEM in future. Thanks.

That is a good choice, you get a lot more out of your money on upgrading the transducer itself rather than the other compoments.

1 Like

So in future, should I start looking for iem frequency response based on FiiO FH3 (with a bit enhancement I expect) - a bit more bass, a bit forward vocal? Read reviews, then go audition . Is this a correct way to do?

If you can audition, ignore reviews and try everything you can lol.

But from what I know, it might not be possible to get something with more bass AND forward vocals than the FH3
because the FH3 already has quite forward vocals along with a lot of bass. You will be able to get either more bass or more forward vocals, but I doubt you can get both at the same time.

1 Like

I trust your experience and knowledge. Just read through your research excel file. also HeadConcert’s. Prior to my purchase of FH3, HeadConcert’s review is actually the most influenced me, stamped and sealed! I also read in Faaeal copper review (in your AliExpress link), someone said it enhances SQ of FH3’s stock cable. Since its price is quite cheap, I think i’m gonna try it in future. And also ear tips (maybe JVC spiraldot or Azla Sednaearfit). Both will only cost $20++

yeah, no lol.

Tips are the nr 1 priority after the iem, bad seal = bad sound.

Those jvc and azla are pretty expensive though and I prefer the Radius Deep mount tips to them that is also a lot cheaper.