šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

The worst thing is, for me at least, that you feel like there is still a lot to gain so you keep looking at other IEMs, but actually finding an upgrade has proven pretty difficult. The FD5 and L4 have failed and I enjoy my other headphones way less since I have the FH3. Bastards at FiiO ruined me. Only sets I still use are the FH3, a modded BL-03 (very different sound, less exciting but more coherent) and the Smabat M2 pro (earbud, handy when I donā€™t want to be sealed off entirely).

4 Likes

The FH3 could be an endgame IEM for most casual listeners and it does a damn good job with it. The FD5 is my current IEM right now since I gave my FH3 to a friend of mine to use and Iā€™m kinda scared to see which IEM to get or upgrade after the FD5. Itā€™s seriously not easy to browse once Iā€™m trying to look beyond the 300USD range.

Iā€™ve got a question about them that Iā€™m hoping you guys can answer for me. As I was going through the tips that came with them yesterday afternoon looking for a pair that gave me a proper seal, one of the first set I tried was the foam tips. After all, knowing how foam tips work, I was reasonably confident that they seal well. And they did. No surprise there. But when I opened Prime Music and went to one of my go to testing tracks, there was something in my head that said, I donā€™t think this sounds right. The foam tips are doing something to the FH3 that are making it sound like something it shouldnā€™t sound like. Which makes no sense, because that was first time Iā€™d listened to them. But sure enough, after I found a pair of the red-core, black silicon tips that gave me a decent seal and tried them, they sounded better.

So, yeah, Iā€™m confused :confused:. I know tip material can change the sound, but can anyone explain my immediate negative reaction to the foam tips, despite it being the first time I was listening to them?

Sounds like you just knew what to expect from the track and knew something was off, doesnā€™t matter that it was your first time with the iem. I have always hated foams, they do fucky stuff to music. Silicones are the way to go imo.

3 Likes

Silicone master race :+1:

1 Like

That makes sense. I guess I just forgot Occamā€™s Razor, lol.

Iā€™ll try to update my impressions of the Globes for you within the week, they certainly have bass. Iā€™ll try to concentrate on timbre notes if youā€™re comparing with single DD. I also wish for more single DD competition, not that thereā€™s isnā€™t already quite a bit, but the upgrade path for single DD takes a massive leap (missing stepping stones) compared to various hybrids.

I edited my earlier impression you read, for whatever reasons the Xelastecs I was wearing destroyed the listening experience and were responsible for the bizarre results.

Iā€™m having a very hard time between them and the Teas right now. Dusk should be here tomorrow, and EST 112 within a week or so. I hope the decision gets easier so I can sell off the non keepers.

The good part is that giving either a long listen is a delight. The bad part is how Iā€™ll have to choose one.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d easily transition back to a bass light IEM for my EDC after these trials though.

2 Likes

Foams will never give you a true accurate representation of what the IEM can do. Only use for comfort but never critical listening.

3 Likes

Thanks man I really appreciate that. The $300-ish range is my endgame price when it comes to IEMā€™s. had the 660s and have struggled to find an IEM that matches with me like that headphone did. And that obviously ruined me for tonality because of how natural the sennheiser tuning is. And to that note I also agree, single DD IEMā€™s just have that coherency and timbre which makes the world of a difference to me. Just need to see one that has a bass neutral tuning or something like the Tea/globes maybe.

Mangird Tea or LZ AZ for you then. I have an LZ AZ for sale btw.

1 Like

Check out Oriolus Isabellae

What made you settle on this KBEAR 8 core cable? Looks great.

OK so my personal take:
Globes have very un-neutral bass response. Itā€™s very strong. Timbre is fine, but overall tonality was not for me. Things get recessed or are too quiet in the mix, sone percussion sounds partial. Silky warm sound though, great for older live recordings like The Last Waltz.

Teas are much more neutral (elevated sub bass of course, but often our ears need that). A better balanced FR for my ears. Very much an all rounder, but for reasons I canā€™t justify, it never sounded quite ā€œnaturalā€. Something different to timbre. Same feel I got from the FH3s, even if the signature is quite different. Canā€™t justify itā€¦ I canā€™t think of a single ding for the Teas, but still donā€™t like them quite enough somehow.

Iā€™m listening to a pair of Lokahi right now, and the timbre is great, natural sounding bass too. The tuning and timbre fully convince me Iā€™m listening to a single DD, based on IEMs that have this sound, to me.

You were interested in the EST 112 I think? That also came today and I donā€™t want to like it because it cost twice what the Lokahi did. But itā€™s really great. Fantastic timbre, bass is at natural levels but is also sort of cavernous. Sometimes too much reverb? A great choice to jump straight to if you have the funds. Canā€™t fault it so far, but to be fair have barely listened to it, Iā€™ve been giving the Lokahi some time.

3 Likes

If you got that Lokahi from Sonofholhorse, I sold it to him originally. This it?

The Lokahi was my first all BA IEM. I quickly learned I prefer a DD or hybrid for my library although it sounded very nice generally. The thing that killed the Lokahi for me was the inner-ear suction. I couldnā€™t listen to it for long before it became uncomfortable. Iā€™m still wondering what that huge vent is for?

1 Like

Yeah, he got my (formerly, your) Lokahi. Fun Fact: the Zen you had/sold was probably mine originally, too (assuming it came by way of @Mr_Makua )

1 Like

I love this forum.

Yep, I bought the Zen from @Mr_Makua. I really didnā€™t want to, but I just sold it to @luizgarcia last week. I love the Zen but I thought it would suit him well.

Iā€™ll probably jump on the Zen Pro when it releases (I already miss the Zen not being in my possession). I have the Mest MKII, Variations, Dusk ;), and the Xenns Up to keep me company til then. I hope the Zen scratches @luizgarcia 's itch.

Well, if any of us get a deadly ear disease, everyone here will die of it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was worried about suction because the 3DT had some nightmare suction issues for me. I havenā€™t had an issue with the Lokahi yet. Using wide bore, essentially JVC Spiral Dots exceptā€¦ No spiral dots. Ha! Same shape.

Yeah Iā€™m usual not a fan of BAs especially all BA (DM8 for example) but I must not hear as well as true timbre buffs, because this is doing it for me. Of course I can notice it in the bass at times, but Iā€™m very pleased with how the bass is tuned, soā€¦

Edit: oh and as already confirmed - yup these are the ones!

2 Likes

Hahaha i hope that too!!! Should be in my hands in the next 3 to 4 days!

3 Likes

While I could feel a little bit of suction with the Lokahi, it was never bothersome to me. Meanwhile, I had to get rid of the Zen because I could not get a comfortable fit for the life of me; no one else that I know of has had a fit issue with them!
Ears are weird.

2 Likes

Thanks for those impressions! Iā€™m quite bummed about the lack of natural sound. Recently been on the hunt for something that has a natural sound (although I realise natural to one person may be different for another but I kinda mean not digital sounding or having a BA timbre). Now just on the single DD hunt but nothing is really selling me much. Thanks again for the impressions and comparison with the globes.