šŸ”· Focal Elegia

That makes total sense. I tried some EQ with these headphones mostly as a curiosity thing. - I already had equalizer APO installed, and I have an EQ profile set up for my mic. Heck, why not?

I was surprised by how much I disliked what most of the presets did to Elegiaā€™s sound. Not as surprised as I was by how much I liked what one of them did though.

Now I am taking a break from it so I can re-test whether I still prefer EQ, or if it just sounds ā€˜good differentā€™ without sounding ā€˜betterā€™.

1 Like

For me itā€™s not about being a purist or anything else. I like to have fun with the music. Sometimes I want to hear it honest and untouched; sometimes I want to screw around and have fun. Having an EQ available does that for me. Again, This is not an endorsement or argument in any way. that is simply how I do it.

1 Like

Looking for cable and pad recommendations for these headphones.

Possibly a dumb question but do the cables need to be this stiff and can there be an inline mic on the cable?

The cables absolutely do NOT need to be that stiff. Like I said above, Hart cables are a stark upgrade in terms of comfort, soft slinky cable, but there are better. Periapt cables are also pretty popular.

Donā€™t waste your time, nor the hearing of anyone who hears you with an in line mic. A cheap desk or arm mounted USB condenser mic will sound so much better, and once you get past the learning curve (it isnā€™t hard) becomes more convenient too.

I would look at Dekoni pads and a modmic would be a good option if a desk mic isnā€™t for you

Iā€™ve had bad experiences with modmic:

I may be biased, there are plenty of people who like modmics, but for me, never again.

there are other brands that make similar mics with different designs not sure of any that would work as dual 3.5mm though

Is this the cable you bought? If so how does it connect to a laptop? Iā€™m not sure what sort of ā€œstyleā€ Iā€™m supposed to get.

A little extra info is in order here.

Yes, thatā€™s the cable I got. All of Hartā€™s cables terminate in a mini XLR connection. This is their ā€œmodularā€ cable system. They also sell what they call ā€œinterconnectsā€, which are short patch cables that have the other side of that mini XLR connecter, and then adapt to a standard audio connector (such as a 3,5mm or a quarter inch, or full sized XLR - either 3 or 4 pins).

Typically, at this level, it is generally understood that you will get the most out of a headphone of this quality by using a Dac and Amp that are separate from the stripped down and potentially noisy source included in your computer. In that situation, you would want an interconnect that has the same connector as your amp (or dac/amp if a single unit).

If you want to continue to use your laptop as your only source you would need a Hart modular interconnect that has the headphone connector that matched the port on the laptop (very commonly a 3.5mm port). this should be the correct interconnect.

Alternately you could get a single cable made in their custom shop:

Another option which seems to compete directly with Hart would be:

In that periapt link, just be sure to select the ā€œterminationā€ as 3.5mm

I have a quidelix 5K coming in, I plan on driving the headphones through that. So I should get an interconnector that pairs with that DAC?

Since the 5K has both 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm balanced outs, you may want both. However, if you want to stick with just 1, youā€™ll get more power delivery out of the balanced 2.5mm. These are pretty easy to drive, so you probably wonā€™t need the extra power, just something to consider. The downside to getting just the 2.5mm balanced is then you would need an adapter for the more common 3.5mm jacks.

I think Iā€™ll get both, I would want the flexibility. Thanks once again.

I now have stock pads, Dekoni sheepskins and Dekoni Stellia Ltd. Edition pads. I am hoping the last (newest) set will negate the urge to upgrade to the Radiance or Celestee models. :grin:

5 Likes

I would adore a breakdown of your thoughts on how each impact both sound and comfort.

I will try, but the change over takes a minute plus, so it is kind of hard. Of course I did it for stock vs sheepskin, so it can be done. :grin:
Next week.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t trying to imply right away - I figured you would want to take some time and get a feel for each. I was just hoping youā€™d share your feedback after several days with each.

Oh, I will be using them next week. I am sometimes too judgemental. Every new product is immediately judged against the previous one. :grin:

1 Like

The Ltd. Edition Stellia pads certainly make a very nice difference with the Elegiaā€™s. I wanted to buy them a while ago, but they were out of production. I ended up buying a set of Dekoni sheepskins. They certainly bassed it up, but they did change the sound a bit. It was a worthy mod in my opinion.
However, the Stellia pads are a different ball game. With these I am still getting the Elegia sound, but it is a bit fuller and a bit bassier. This is an awesome upgrade for $100.00.

I think this will dampen my enthusiasm for a Celestee/Radiance upgrade. More importantly, I will give them another head to head with the Beyer T5ā€™s.

2 Likes

So finally got mine in, So far very impressedā€¦
right now trying them out with different amps, but the IFI Zen Canā€™s Xbass adds a little bit of bass kick

5 Likes

I feel personally attacked.