🔷 Focal Elegia

Compared to the Z7? Yes, they have a much more neutral detail oriented sound and are faster and more precise. They are really different headphone trying to do really different things imo.

I haven’t heard the Elex but are you referring to dynamics? Compared to the Clear I found the Elegia less dynamic and more laid back if that helps

Adorama

The Elegia are a league above the Sony MDR-Z7 when it comes to imaging, separation and clarity. The MDR-Z7 has better soundstage and bass, but that comes at the expense of the above mentioned traits of the elegia. Really, they are pretty opposite of each other sound wise.

2 Likes

Aren’t you in Canada? When I put them in the cart they said no for Canada.

I am in Canada yes. I didn’t have that issue. Maybe email them because I had no trouble ordering off the site. That sucks man.

I think the “deal” is gone from Adorama in the US, too. Unless there’s a link I don’t know about. They have the Elegia for $690, which is still a discount, but $200 more than the prior deal

I guess it would be dynamics. I LOVE my Elex’s, but if I go directly from them to the Grado’s or especially the Senn HD660’s, the difference is HUGE! The Elex’s sound like their on steroids in comparison. Like someone pressed the Loud button.
I find them intense, but very fun. I do find myself slipping to the Sundara’s fairly often though as I find them more relaxing.

2 Likes

Cool for you! I had no luck. :unamused:

I have a hunch it’ll be back lol

That would be my guess as well and I have heard the Clear are less dynamic than the Elex so I think you would find the Elegia to be a more relaxing listen in comparison.

@ShaneD I just looked again and yeah it says ‘this item does not ship outside the usa’ so im not sure how mine slipped through the cracks :man_shrugging: I would email them though

1 Like

Elegia are far more “relaxing” than Elex, I concur! Smooth to a fault imo. I totally get why Resolve (Andrew Park) would choose them for his all-day work phones.

Probably deal will be back… I grabbed a pair after it “came back” last time, having disappeared once. But don’t know if they’re just trying to sell out a discontinued model and then where they are in that process…

2 Likes

I could understand this completely and it’s probably why the Clear is so popular as it seems to fall in between the two. I may try the Clear again one day because I just don’t think I had the right source gear to get its potential.

1 Like

I just saw a pair of Clears on CAM for $1,100.00. Best price I have seen for a mint looking pair. Lesser prices usually have stains. I like the Pro’s better, but really am not aiming at Clears right now.

1 Like

See that’s probably the only thing I disagree with you on lol. It sounds great with a great Soundstage even if it’s not wide but it sounds pretty much like a closed back. It’s not the worst thing tho because it does retain alot of qualities from an open back but it definitely sounds like there is something blocking the sounds freedom there ime

That’s why I ended up preferring the elegia as a more well rounded headphone. Stil has the focal dynamics but unlike the elex it can be much more peaceful when it needs too. The elex was amazing but Def couldn’t listen to ballads on it lol. While the elegia can be relaxing enough for calm music and also dynamic and fun enough for pop etc

1 Like

Out of curiosity, which closed backs have you heard prior to the elegia?

1 Like

DT 770 only, ah well technically I’ve heard from friends a bose 35, Sony W whatever it’s called, and some cheap skull candy closed back

Gotcha. I think once you’ve heard some more closed backs, you would immediately understand what I’m saying.

1 Like

Fair enough. Either way I’m really really really happy with what the elegías do lol. Super nice sound and probably the closes I’ve heard to my fav sound signature if I had to pick only one headphone

2 Likes

Yeah, to kind of go off of this, I was using them at home with my AMP for like 2-3 weeks then I was like… I’m gunna take these to work. Aaaaand now I take them to work with me every day because they sound almost just as good just plugged into my work PC, no AMP or DAC. They are also so comfy, despite being quite heavy, at least compared to the other cans I own.

Definitely the headphone I use the most now, because I feel like I live at work :neutral_face:

4 Likes

https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?EmailPrice=T

It’s back

5 Likes

This sale is ridiculous. I almost want to buy a second pair just because it’s such a deal lol.

4 Likes