šŸ”· Focal Elegia

Recently picked up the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for the Elegia. I actually like them a bit more than the stock pads. They are a lot more comfortable and have better sound isolation. I wasnā€™t a fan of how comfortable the stock pads were, so wanted to try these out.

The sound change is noticeable, but not night and day. The soundstage is just a bit more narrow and closed sounding, but since it has better isolation, the bass and clarity are improved slightly imo. Sound leakage is less as well.

I donā€™t think they are worth the price tag as an ā€œupgradeā€, but they are a decent option if you donā€™t want to buy replacement stock pads or just want more comfort and slightly different sound. If you have a bad seal on these when wearing glasses, these will solve that problem. Iā€™m tempted to try out the other Dekoni pads now! Maybe the fenestrated sheepskin pads will be more open and maintain the warmth and comfortā€¦

1 Like

Man, I am tempted by these at this priceā€¦ I have completely fallen in love with my Clear.

2 Likes

Worth lol :+1:

3 Likes

Do it!

1 Like

There is such thread

1 Like

Thanks. I posted this request there. Thought I would ask here as well. I am looking for a pair of these. Anyone wanting to part with a pair for, say, $400 or less I would be most appreciative. I saw this was on sale elsewhere online, but thought Iā€™d check to see if I could find one though the forum first. Anyways, thank you for your consideration. Stay Well and God Bless!

@M0N, I see you used to have a set of these and let them go. Was there something you didnā€™t like about them? Iā€™m basically intrigued to getting something like a ā€œClosed Clearā€ so to speak that would be primarily for late night listening of Mastering sessions. Also, out of an AKG 553, 6XX or Clear/Elegia, which would you say is best suited for mixing? I had an NDH-20 [prob wouldā€™ve been my best option for Mixing], but sold it to re acquire a set of Denon AH-D7200 after I foolishly sold my first pair. Anyways, Thanks as always. I have said it more than once, but this is my favorite headphone forum on the interwebz. Thanks, yall!

2 Likes

No I actually really liked them but I have been pushing myself to slim my collection recently. The reason I decided to let them go was because of a few things, mainly because I already had the clear and I used these for travel and they arenā€™t as portable as an aeon 2, and because a coworker really liked them so I just sold it to him, so not really because I didnā€™t like them, but instead it just made more sense to sell these than other cans I had

The elegia sounds like a good candidate lol. While itā€™s not quite on the same level as the clear for a closed back itā€™s probably as similar as you can get

Probably the clear, but it depends. Actually working with the focal presentation is kinda a learning curve, you gotta get used to how it stages to make sure it doesnā€™t screw up your mix lol. Otherwise I would say probably a 6xx (preferably a 600) but mainly because Iā€™m super comfortable with that headphone

2 Likes

M0n sorry did you ever post a take on the Neumanns for mixing/tracking, or try them?

I think they are nice, personally a bit too boosted in the bass for my tastes, but generally very usable and are solid enough to where I could use them without issues, but comfort was a miss for me

ya after Sennā€™s that round small pad is out for me, thank you

Well, I missed the boat on the Adorama sale. If anyone has a pair they are looking to get rid of, please let me know! I have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade to trade if that interests anyone.

Given the frequency of the sale it will probably be back in a month.

1 Like

Subā€™d for adorama deal updatesā€¦ If it comes back @ $420 ish Iā€™m inā€¦

2 Likes

Sweet. I am looking around now. Keep an eye open for me, if you will. Thanks, yā€™all!
EDIT: I have found a pair. Used for around 40 hours. Looks decent and comes with original pads and Dekoni Sheepskins. Heā€™s asking $440 shipped. Worth it?

They look to be in good condition. Not a bad deal if you donā€™t want to wait for the eventual adorama sale.

1 Like

Thanks. Patience is not one of my strong suits.

Aaaaaand. I bought them. Pretty stoked since I adore the Clear!

10 Likes

Elegias and tubes?

Have heard they generally donā€™t react very favorably, but havenā€™t tried it myself. A hybrid should be fine, though.