đŸ”¶ Focal Elex

I know the return policy and RMA.
So from the information you provided, you made a mistake

Policy’s need to be precisely followed for them to work.

Wrong. My replacement wasn’t in transit. I told them to ship to a different address when I told them the 1st pair had failed, before shipment, before I even took them to UPS to be sent back.

I haven’t bought anything there yet, but I believe they do. I quoted some equipment with them and they ship worldwide. It’s just somewhat expensive but, as a Brazilian, I’m used to it. According to their customer service, the warranty still stands for international shipping.

But, I will say, there were some open-box deals that the shipment option didn’t appear to me. Don’t know if it’s a limitation to Openbox deals or a bug in the website.

1 Like

What would you classify the Elex sound signature as?

“Awesome until they inevitably break”

sorry, just couldn’t help myself, hahahaha

1 Like

“awesomesauce until it runs out”.
Enjoe them as long as they last.

Did some information surfing as there seems to be 2 main reasons why they break.

So depending on what breaks, there is good change both are mendable.
With a big hammer or something smaller like soldering if you are not complete dumm dumm or with a good local electronic fixing company.

Thing is that this effect’s also other Focal headphones as well, so not just blaming on Drop alone. There are issues in Focal factory assembly. More or less same shit like Hifiman.
It’s not complete loss, that is a key thing.

3 Likes

Hi guys, just ordered the Elex last night and starting to have some concerns. They seemed like a steal at the time of purchase after watching the raving reviews. Now that I’ve seen the reports of QC issues I am having some concerns. Do you guys think they are worth the $550 price or should I look towards something else. New to this hobby and my current set up is a 4xx running off a magni heresy and D10 DAC. Hoping for a significant upgrade, any advice is appreciated.

I don’t think I’d worry about it until (if) it’s an issue. A lot of this stuff is subjective–listen to it and if you like it keep it and enjoy it. If not, sell it or send it back. I’d withhold judgement for yourself. The general consensus is the Elex is a phenomenal headphone. I’ve owned 2 Focal headphones (granted for shorter periods of time), but I have had no issues.

2 Likes

Is the broken voice coil mendable? Like, will a more robust one change the sound, or is this just a wire that can be replaced ? (Sorry for my ignorance. I’ve read that not all Focals have a voice cool this thin
 the Clears for example have a less delicate one)

I like the Elex a whole lot; I’m finding your post reassuring now, for the future of them!

There is a change at least and those were told as the weak spots. Cannot say for sure of course.
Some have been able to repair their units with no added noise or issues.
One poster i found did a repair job one the right side and few weeks later owner told the left side failed so he repaired that as well. Was a pain in the dick as Zeos would say but he managed.

1 Like

Nice pick up! Focal usually has good QC. I don’t know that the issues discussed here are all that common. Should be an upgrade. Enjoy!

It’s hard to tell how big an issue the failure rate is now. On Drop’s site about 10% of the reviews mention it and most of the recent comments are about the problem. When I said these were gamble earlier, I was referring to Drop’s customer service. Either you have a fine experience with them or they treat you like garbage. I wouldn’t buy anything from Drop till they open a call center. There are just to many flaws to having an email only customer service.

2 Likes

Got it. I am not sure how much of a pain I could induce someone to withstand should I have to ask them to repair my set. I know I couldn’t do it myself, at least with current lack of skills. Still
 I have had no problem so far with my own Elex, and will hope that continues! Thanks for the pics and words.

Supposedly when the 4xx initially had many quality control problems Drop worked with them to fix them, does anyone know if the same has happened here?

Should absolutely not be in the price range of headphones.
Somewhere a real mess in my eyes and the price not justified.
What’s bad is that Focal doesn’t even improve but continues to do so.

1 Like

Should I consider a upgrading my amp/dac set up for the ELEX? I hear that it is considerably better to run it balanced. Currently running a heresy+D10, but have considered getting an endgame amp/dac combo for a cleaner set up. Or a well matched stack like magnius and modius. What do you guys think? Also streaming music from TIDAL, but not sure if MQA is worth it.

I don’t think it’s as common as it’s made out to be either. Sure it’s going to have some issues here and there and you can look at comments and reviews and say x amount has this issue but I don’t think that tells the whole story as more people will write a review to highlight an issue than those that write a review just because they like them. That’s my opinion at least. I know when I’m on Amazon, I freak out over one star reviews and issues I see, however I’ve almost never been unlucky enough to get a faulty product for anything I’ve bought online, from 10 dollar items to 3000 dollar. Even if comments may suggest that a large number of people receive x issue.

1 Like

OMG!
I’ve been listening to my new Elex’s for a couple of hours now. They are like nothing I’ve ever heard. I’m coming from a HD660s and these destroy those. Super 600’s my ass, there is no comparison. Not even close. I was afraid my expectations would be to high, nope! They are paired with the Drop Grace balanced dac & 789. These are going to get better after burn in? Yes please. I’m not excited thought :wink:

10 Likes

sweeeet first of all nice to see some new elex discussion lol. any major difference that you have noticed with the elex over other headphones? including ur senheiser

I’ve really only listened to Senn’s. I have a pair of Grado’s, but I do not enjoy the on ear experience. As I said, the Elex is just in a different class than the 6xx series. I can multitask while wearing the 660s, The Elex makes you listen to them.

3 Likes