šŸ”¶ Focal Elex

I donā€™t think itā€™s as common as itā€™s made out to be either. Sure itā€™s going to have some issues here and there and you can look at comments and reviews and say x amount has this issue but I donā€™t think that tells the whole story as more people will write a review to highlight an issue than those that write a review just because they like them. Thatā€™s my opinion at least. I know when Iā€™m on Amazon, I freak out over one star reviews and issues I see, however Iā€™ve almost never been unlucky enough to get a faulty product for anything Iā€™ve bought online, from 10 dollar items to 3000 dollar. Even if comments may suggest that a large number of people receive x issue.

1 Like

OMG!
Iā€™ve been listening to my new Elexā€™s for a couple of hours now. They are like nothing Iā€™ve ever heard. Iā€™m coming from a HD660s and these destroy those. Super 600ā€™s my ass, there is no comparison. Not even close. I was afraid my expectations would be to high, nope! They are paired with the Drop Grace balanced dac & 789. These are going to get better after burn in? Yes please. Iā€™m not excited thought :wink:

10 Likes

sweeeet first of all nice to see some new elex discussion lol. any major difference that you have noticed with the elex over other headphones? including ur senheiser

Iā€™ve really only listened to Sennā€™s. I have a pair of Gradoā€™s, but I do not enjoy the on ear experience. As I said, the Elex is just in a different class than the 6xx series. I can multitask while wearing the 660s, The Elex makes you listen to them.

3 Likes

You and I share some tastes. :smiley:

The top half of my collection right now is:
LOVE
Grado GH2ā€™s, Focal Elexā€™s and CFA Cascades.
REALLY LIKE
Senn HD660ā€™s and HiFiman Sundaraā€™s

Five very different and satisfying sound profiles for me.

2 Likes

I need to hear those GH2s some time. I love my (ancient) RS-1, and rather love the HF-2 and Hemp.

Love the Elex and love the Ananda.
Also really like the Sundara. And the DT1990 with an in-line filter and pad swap.

Canā€™t listen to them all at once, though.

With the Ananda, do you have the urge to jump to the Arya or are you happy there?

I hear you on the multiple choices. I have to get mine down to a reasonable amount. I will be cruising along and all of a sudden an artist will pop up and I will think to myself, " I bet they would sound awesome on pick the headphone". :laughing:

I am curious to hear the Arya, but from I what I read I am probably better served with FR on the Ananda and I have the Elex to punch harder. Also got a good price on the Ananda, and havenā€™t seen the Arya anywhere within budget yet.

1 Like

Is it wrong that I wanted to call in sick today, and than counted the minutes till I could get home and listen again? Always thought I was a Sennheiser fan boyā€¦ The Elex sounds perfect to me!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking that they would be a good companion to my 95x. With nighthawk being regulated to ā€œyou so weird I wub youā€ LOL

If it has good dynamic slam, but is not compressed, then it would be. Fill me in those in the knowā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s so easy to find the bad tracksā€¦They just sound flat, even if there are some good parts.

Just got my pair in, and absolutely love them so far. The reviews/blogs were p spot on with the sound, theyā€™ve got a ton of energy at both ends of the spectrum and theyā€™re really really resolving. Iā€™ve got a bit of a hot spot at the very top of my head, but weā€™ll see if that loosens up over the next few days of use. The ear pads are crazy comfy straight out of the box though. I also canā€™t get over how they look, the black over black / murdered out aesthetic with the metal mesh over the ear cups is tremendous.

Iā€™m over the moon, these things are banginā€™

7 Likes

Are you still using the Liquid Platnum ? If so, what dac are you using with it? Iā€™m looking to add the Sundara to the Elex and the 660s. Seems like a good pairing with all 3.

I have been using an SMSL SU-8 DAC. I just got in a Schiit Bifrost 2, but it will not talk to my DAP (Sony NW-ZX300), so I may have to return it.

I have and enjoy all those models with the LP.

1 Like

Have you noticed any imbalance issues? My pair also came in and the left side is more prominent then the right. I swapped the pads around and noticed the pad that came on the left driver seems to be causing the issue. Like the pad gets pushed closer to my ear then the other pad. Wondering if itā€™s a QC issue with the pads on these.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have an imbalance. I have read that it might settle in once the pads wear a bit.

Nope, my pads look to be the same widths, and i cant hear a L/R imbalance.

Famous pad burn in, maybe?

I thought this might be the case but the left pad was notably more pushed in towards my ear then the right and if i swapped the left pad to the right driver the imbalanced followed. I have been using them a lot since Saturday and it didnā€™t seem like the imbalance was going to go away. I have I just set up a return with drop for a refund. I really enjoyed the sound of these compared to my HD660s. My 660s headphones are dailies so Iā€™m going to just continue to stick with these.

I hope they get you taken care of. I moved from the HD660s myself and the Elex is a big jump imho. BTW, they get better over time, at least mine did. Good luck.