đŸ”¶ Focal Elex

It’s not like the argons, it’s much better imo, they get way more refined in most ways, I would ask @PapaEmeritus on the process. I have lawton purpleheart cups on my th900mk2, but he has more experience with lawton mods than I do. Here is the lawton site

https://www.lawtonaudio.com/

If this TR/X 00 is so popular why is Drop discontinuing the range?

It came out on massdrop in late 2014 I think and since then sales have pretty much tapered off where I guess they thought it was no longer profitable to make. They are def well respected and loved, but drop was done with em

Makes sence, it will be a shame if they stop production. One day if im big I would love to own a pair of Purple Hearts just to experience the Bass everyone is going on about lol

Can anyone compare the Elex to Hifiman Sundaras? How about Elear to Sundara? I have considered getting a bundle that has Utopia pads w/ Elear.

So personally I don’t think I wouldn’t recommend the elear tbh, it just is worth it to get the elex imo. To be honest I think the elex is an upgrade overall to the sundara. The elex has a more slight w shape signature compared to the more neutral bright elex. The elex has a fair amount more detail, much better dynamics, is quicker sounding, and also has very good imaging and sound staging that can recreate a space very well. The elex sounds more natural as well. I really can’t think of where the sundara competes with it, perhaps the sundara has better bass extension, but I think the bass on the elex is just more refined. I think the elex is in a different tier of performance than the sundara (and the price reflects that)

2 Likes

So you would recommend skipping the Sundara and saving for an Elex and don’t consider the Elear w/ Utopia pads? The Elex would actually cost more because of tax.

How about Beyer T1.2 [currently owned] to Elex?

I think the elex is worth it imo, you could also look for a used clear if you got lucky lol

1 Like

Well, guess I’m not gonna get the Sundara as the Elex seems most logical atm

I think the elex is more detailed in the midrange and bass regions, with better dynamic range imo. Also I think it can recreate a space better imo. I personally prefer it to the t1 v2 but both are pretty great headphones

How about an open-box Clear for $1200. Worth it?

Hmm, how much can you get an elex for again? Also what amp are you using?

Elex is $654. I have an RME ADI-2 Pro, Liquid Platinum, SP200 and BH Crack.

1 Like

Yeah go for the elex then imo. The liquid platinum also pairs well with the elex too

Nice amp selection.:+1:

1 Like

OK, I just called. I can get the Clear for $1099. Worth it then?

Thanks dude. I think I’ve seen you on hf in the SP200 thread.

So the clears are more neutral sounding but with better technicalities, so if you are willing to pay the extra I think it is a step up, but the elex is the better value

1 Like

Which of his amps do you think would drive the Elex’s better, SP200 or Liquid Platinum?