🔶 Focal Elex

Oops! Im having a bad day. Lol Thought i was in the Rebel thread.

No worries I’d just be unhappy if you didn’t get an answer for a question that can probably be easily answered.

1 Like

Hey everyone I’m loving my focal elex. I got them on sale from drop for $550 and man what a deal. Insane value.

I wanted to know out of curiosity I know the elex is specifically tuned with its pads. Has anyone pad rolled it?

What pads and what results did you get?

The only pads I’ve looked at for Elex were the Dekoni’s.

The Reviews and Discussion tabs from when Drop sold them might be a good place to start.

1 Like

Tried Dekoni Velour. Made elex sound dull. Lost it’s sparkle. Too much absorption of sound. True elex pads sold by drop are excellent.

1 Like

What many of review people say is: keep em stock.
Kinda same things with Sennheiser headphones. They change sound and not for the better.

2 Likes

Yeah it seems that way I made that post to get the general feel

I bought the Elex refurbished from some guy from ebay. The description says that they are in perfect working condition. I received them today, and right off the bat, the left driver is dead.
sigh, I really don’t want to go through the hassle of returning them, so I was thinking of trying to fix them myself. If it’s just a bad solder joint or a broken wire, it should be no problem. Dunno if I should tho. Has anyone here attempted to fix their pair?

Those few ^^ mentioned with images might be broken part.
So should be in the realm of fixing.

I had a look inside the earcup and the tiny wire was indeed broken in the middle. I was going to attempt to fix it but I backed out when I realized that there’s no way I can solder two such tiny wires together. The wire didn’t have enough length to solder it back to the pad. I guess I’ll have to contact the seller then, or find someone else who can fix it.

Bought the Elex a couple of weeks ago and just received the 3rd party cable the other day. This my only headphone currently.

8 Likes

Enjoy them! They are wonderful.

1 Like

@ Shane As in next step from my Sundara? Have been thinking of them. Is the SS wide enough iyo?

Yes. To me the Elex’s are a large step up from the Sundara’s. To me, the Sundara’s are a nice headphone. Everything sounds good on them. Nothing sounds bad. And nothing sounds great.

To me, they are a good headphone and the Elex is a great headphone. The Elex gives you good treble, very good mids and great bass. They are not a basshead headphone, but in most music nothing will feel lacking in the bass department.

Of course everyone hears differently. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Others seem to agree. I recently bought a DT 880/600
as an inexpensive dynamic complement to the Sundara. I enjoy the detail a lot, but it is a bit light in the bass fullness (tho wonderfully tight) Wrote a brief comparison on the 880 official thread. Just wondered about the SS because I listen to a lot of orchestral and live club jazz vocals and SS and imaging is important to me. Sounds like the Elex is a strong possibility, as the fuller bass would be nice!

1 Like

I just sold my DT880’s. They really needed power to sound their best. They actually sounded pretty good out of my Pro iCAN, but I decided to move on.

1 Like

Hee hee, I know…they push my Asgard to about 2:30…but the detail is great.

If you are going to keep them, you should do a balanced mod.

1 Like

I sold my DT880s a few weeks ago. I really liked the sound but found it a tad fatiguing, and less comfortable than I would like. I moved onto HD660s, which I find more comfortable and marginally better in some regards. I like the greater bass presence.

If and when I pull the trigger to step up from the HD660s, the Elex is on the top of the list unless I somehow convince myself to aim above the $1k mark. But I doubt I’ll ever do that. Maybe a used LCD-X or Clear.

I like my 660’s, but I Love my Elex’s. I am sure they will be back down to $599.00 in the coming weeks.
I like both of those very much on my Liquid Platinum.

I have figured out that I am not an Audeze fan or much of a Sennheiser fan for that matter. Took me several years and a lot of money to figure that out. :laughing:

2 Likes