šŸ”¶ Fostex T50rp

Do you think my E10k would do the job? Iā€™m really at a loss for what headphones to pick for $200 or less and the used market over here is pretty much non-existant. Also there are close to no shops where I can try headphones so Iā€™m pretty much bound to buy blindly.

Go with ZMFā€™s I had the proteins on my t60, and now the suedes, sooo nice.

Fiio E10K is apparently 200mw at 32ohmsā€¦ nope. :confused: I would not risk it.

Still for 100$ you can get one watt or more power, from a JDS Labs Atom amp (not recommended: too much treble for T50RPs), or Schiit Heresy, or Liquid Spark (Laid-back treble apparently, so, great pairing), etc.

Edit: Also Fiio K5 Pro for 150$ for a dac AND amp. Topping L30 for 130$, with a pre-out switch for speakers.

Hmm, not sure I can set aside that much at the moment, especially since all the $99 amps are not available where I live (at least not for $99).
I guess itā€™s back to the drawing board :frowning:.

Yup, just make a new thread asking for easy-to-drive headphones (with a Fiio E10K) as an upgrade to your MH752s. Iā€™m thinking AKG K371s maybe, otherwise, I donā€™t know.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a good balanced mod service for T50RP? I know Modhouse has one on their website, but claim that they arenā€™t doing it for existing headphones. (I have Dekoni Blues, but from my understanding, they are just Dekoniā€™s variant of a T50RP Mk3)

1 Like

will my Fiio BTR5k be enough for these? Zeos mentions that it pushes the T60RPā€™s ā€œitā€™s like a quarter of a watt and it shouldnā€™t push those but it doesā€. But in his review, he said that these are the most inefficient headphones ever (at least in 2016).

Yes, it will make sound on a btr5, but itā€™s not sound you will want to listen to for very long. The key thing in Zā€™s video is the T60ā€™s are modded to run balanced. You only get ā€œ1/4 wattā€ balanced. So if your mkiiiā€™s are modded balanced, then youā€™re good to go. If not, my experience is it sounds bad single ended.

Alright, thanks.

I can confirm 250mW of Class A power is enough for T50RPs, but with calm songs the volume pot will be at max. Iā€™m currently listening to a rock album with my T50RPs and my SMSL sAp-1 (90$ Class A amp, 270mW). Volume at 75%.

500mW is the minimum, imo. Just to be certain. It just would be stupid to buy an amp and a calm song you like isnā€™t loud enough for you because they did not use compression in the studio. Iā€™d get a xduoo xd-05 (non-plus, or the brand new ā€œbasicā€ with integrated bluetooth if you prefer, both have 500mW ā€“ no need for the 1 watt ā€œplusā€ I think).

(ā€¦I almost screwed up and wrote ā€œ250 watts of Class A is enoughā€, lol. ā€œOof!ā€)

1 Like

Would not have been INcorrect. That would be plenty of power. If you bridged that Mono, Zeos might even agree itā€™s enough power.

2 Likes

That sounds like a youtube videoā€¦
ā€œI ran 500W into my headphones, here is what happendā€

2 Likes

That video makerā€™s head:

3 Likes

Do this headphone go on sale often? I want to grab a pair to modšŸ¤™

Iā€™m very interested in getting a pair of the T50rps to trial, but am worried that my current setup wonā€™t power these properly.

Does anyone have experience powering the T50s off the ifi zen dac? (running of USB power only)

6.3mm S-BAL (SE) 230mW@32 Ohmā€¦ Iā€™d be surprised.
My 270mW amp can run my Fostex T50RPsā€¦ but itā€™s Class A (smsl sap-1).

Otherwise I always said you need one watt for these (95% of the time theyā€™re plugged into my JDS Atom amp, which is 1 watt, at high gain, volume at 10 oā€™clock :clock10: ).

ā€¦Zeos said he could finally hear bass with the T50RPs? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, did you test the AKG K-270/ K-271 Foam Net Pieces?
I am curious if they fit the T50 and how they change the sound.

Oh well, sorry, I completely forgot about these foam pieces (I wanted to order something from Thomann, but did not).

But @MazeFrame did it, see pics here.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the link with pictures, i searched myself but could not find pictures.
They could be a little bigger i guess.

Found two different ones for AKG, a larger version for K240:
https://www.thomann.de/de/akg_foam_net_pad_piece_k_240.htm

And a Version with a center cutout for K701:
https://www.thomann.de/de/akg_foam_net_piece_k_701.htm

There also is a Version for HD650 (DMS was mentioning it):
https://www.thomann.de/de/sennheiser_hd600_650_foam_net_pad.htm